Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
A bit of css help for a Kindle Fixed template

I have a nice Kindle Fixed Template, I created a .mobi file using images of a pdf converted to jpgs for the pages. reason was the InDesign file used 10 different fonts and I needed the layout to look exactly the same.

Got it to look and work fine.

Now on certain pages I need to have live links so I did a little css and have embedded ONE font I know Kindle will display for these links. I just need to know how I can use this css page with the links ( I have one other css page that does not have links) as I will now add the re designed images where the link font is left blank so I can place the links where they were directly on the page using html and css.

There are 50 pages in the book and 10 of them have links. I thought of doing the following:

Page 1 have paragraph1 2 and 3 as <divs> create the css for those

then on lets say page 9 I have more links which go in different spots on page 9 so call those divs xxxname create css for this and so on.

Is this the correct way or is there another method?

See the screen shots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleFixedtestpageWlinks.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	119709   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleFixedtestpageWOUT.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	119710  
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It would be better to have the document converted to text. It is very hard to embed links in an exact spot, that would still work at different font sizes.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Do I understand your request correctly?

I can't tell from looking if you've made a real fixed-format mobi, or if you've simply created a book made up of images. If you've created a book that is entirely made up of jpegs, and NOT a fixed-format mobi, what you want to do cannot be done; you cannot use anything like a "map" to place a link on an image; not in a specific place. you could obviously make the whole image a link, BUT, if you didn't use fixed-format, the image will enlarge when clicked, not launch a link.

So, that second image, the one with the "donate" link on it, is an image, right? (It certainly looks as though it is).

Sorry, but unless you're going to get into the mechanics of making an actual fixed-format MOBI, using Region Magnification and JSON, along with x-y coordinates, positioning the link is going to be impossible. This means that you'll have to use the same methodology as "pop-up" text in KF8. I'd recommend that you download the Fixed-format samples from Amazon and use the coding that they demonstrate for the RM boxes to position a pop-up for each area in which you want a link. That's the only way it's going to work.

The RM pop-ups ONLY work on books coded as fixed-format mobis, so this won't work if you simply have one page after another of jpegs, which is what I suspect you have (because you say it "validates," which says to me that you made an ePUB and ran it through ePUBcheck, but a fixed-format mobi file wouldn't validate. You may be using that term to mean something else, but that's what I'm inferring.)

By the way: I think you may want to prepare yourself for some complaints from readers with smaller devices. Fixed-format mobis can be read on Droid SmartPhones, and that much text on a fixed-format screen/jpg is going to be very difficult to read on a small screen, as you've taken away the readers' ability to size the font as they wished.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote