Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
rawdog RSS reader (not working yet)

So I was trying to find a good RSS reader for my Kindle, and I found rawdog. It is a python program that uses pymodules?? I have some of the work done, I don't know how to get the path right to call python and have the modules in place? If there is anyone with some skills in this, I would appreciate your looking at it!

I have 2 test feeds in the config file - lifehacker and instructables. you can easily add more or less even from a command line. With some massaging of the style.css file, the output could be customized to show the html output better.

I also am trying to show the output file in the default browser using the lipc..browser.. file:///... format, but that isn't working right either?
Attached Files
File Type: zip rawdog.zip (108.0 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by brianinmaine; 09-11-2013 at 05:29 AM.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
file:/// does not work execpt for
file:///mnt/us
It works and the title says OMG!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Everything's pure python, so you can do it from the Kindle itself. No need to play with the env/paths, the latest Python package handles everything, and symlinks python in the default PATH.

* Install setuptools: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setupto...n-instructions
* Install feedparser: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/feedparser
* Install rawdog: http://offog.org/code/rawdog/

(If you're unfamiliar with python modules, the install procedure is usually
Code:
python setup.py install
in the root of the project source tree .)

(Well, you might want to D/L the tarballs yourself, and push them on your device manually, unless you have a decent wget/curl in your PATH).

Code:
[root@kindle us]# /mnt/us/python/bin/rawdog --help
rawdog, version 2.17

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-11-2013 at 12:26 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! You are definately the 'Python Master'!

edit: all installed fine. AWESOME! Now I can try some other python stuff maybe?

Now - when I get an html file of the feeds, I have no great way to open the browser and read it. I can:
- create a bookmark to the file
- use a different browser (skipstone or elinks or ??)
- convert html to txt or pdf or mobi

What would YOU do?

I can't get this to install: pyrite-publisher
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage....1.orig.tar.gz
which should allow me to convert the html to a .prc or .mobi file?

Last edited by brianinmaine; 09-12-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
I can't make feeds download, but I've seen that the showfeed.sh script contains an error: it must run this code to open the downloaded feed in the browser: lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.browser?view=file:///...
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
brianinmaine
Evangelist

yeah that part didn't work. I used koreader (the booklet) to read the html file in the documents folder
Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
I've tried with the above code and works
you gave me also a nice idea for open html in general, didn't think about it
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote