Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Search function

When I begin a search for a book title a drop-down list often lists the book title. When I click on it and search for it, sometimes (often?) I get a message saying something like "Sorry we could not find results for that title."

I presume the title shows up in the drop-down list because the search function links to a list of published books (like Books in Print for paper books.)

So would it be possible to have, instead of the generic message above, a message that tells us if and when the book will be available in the Kobo format?

On a related matter: I once asked if Kobo could read Nook books, and got a cut-and-paste reply listing the formats that Kobo accepts. Is it too much to expect that, in the interest of fostering good customer relations, someone from Kobo would check the Nook format and give a Yes or No answer?

And finally, is it too much to expect that whoever manages this forum would amend the dictionary so that the word "Kobo" doesn't get the red underlining which indicates the word may be misspelled??

Tom K.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think what is happening is that the book is available in a different geographic region; and unfortunately the info shown in the drop down is based on all books, not your region.

Spelling wise, I think that is your browser doing the spell check; not the forum.

Nook wise; it all comes down to what variety of DRM is used on their ePub books. It appears their variety of ePub DRM is similar to the old Palm eReader and uses the Name and CC# that was used to buy the book. I really don't know if the Kobo supports that variant.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
alex12ma
alex12ma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think what is happening is that the book is available in a different geographic region; and unfortunately the info shown in the drop down is based on all books, not your region.
Is it also possible that they have pulled out the book from the store?..Few days back I have seen a book called "horror megapack 25 modern and classic short stories" at www.kobobooks.com. But now if you search "horror megapack" it autocompletes to the name of the book,but when you click it,the book is not listed at store. But if you go to google and give search term like "horror megapack kobo" it takes you to www.kobobooks.com with this book listed. I am confused here,have they really pulled out the book from the store or is it a search error where the book is actually listed. If they have pulled out the book how google search is showing the page with book listed?..
alex12ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
And finally, is it too much to expect that whoever manages this forum would amend the dictionary so that the word "Kobo" doesn't get the red underlining which indicates the word may be misspelled??

Tom K.
You just need to teach your browser that book is really spelled kobo or is it kobo is a misspelled book...?
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Nook wise; it all comes down to what variety of DRM is used on their ePub books. It appears their variety of ePub DRM is similar to the old Palm eReader and uses the Name and CC# that was used to buy the book. I really don't know if the Kobo supports that variant.
From time to time a poster here (and in other places) will say that Kobo could "turn on" the feature within Adobe ADE that would support both the Adept version of DRM that Kobo, Google, Sony and others use and the DRM scheme used by Nook. I have no idea if that is true or not. I do know that right now, only Adept DRM (and Kobo's proprietary kepub drm) can be used on the Kobo.

Rumour has it that there are tools available that will remove the Nook DRM so that you can sideload the books using drag and drop or a program like Calibre.

The search feature on the Kobo site is still not very good. It helps to put your search terms within quotes. I tend to use Google for search and append the work Kobo to the search term. The links are almost always good, either returning a link to the book on the kobobooks.com site or a page that tells me that it is not available in my region.

For spelling, right click on the word, and choose add to dictionary. Problem solved.

Last edited by taming; 06-25-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: info about search
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Thanks to all for the replies. I can now fix the spelling thing! And can understand, even if not happy with, the search and Nook stuff.

The book I'm looking for is Little America: The War Within the War for Afghanistan. To be published tomorrow, Kindle has it listed for pre-order, I had hoped Kobo would too.

Thanks again.
Tom K.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think Kobo tend not to list books for pre-order.....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
tkavan
Groupie

Right!

Quote:
I think Kobo tend not to list books for pre-order.....
Looks like you're right, Peter. The book appeared in the Kobo store today... the official publication day. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for future books.
Tom K.