Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 AM   #1
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
<guide> go to begining

Hello,

I looked in this forum and couldn't find anything about guiding the kindle which is the first page to be seen as a user open a book.

In ePub (3) I set the guide, currently I have the following lines:
PHP Code:
<guide>
    <
reference href="Text/cover.html" title="Cover" type="cover"/>
    <
reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Text/toc.html"/>
  </
guide
How do I tell Kindle to show the 2nd page of the book when a user opens up a book or by using the "bo to begining" function?
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you use the Semantics tool in Sigil, you can label any page text and that is supposed to set the SLR. In the Guide section of content.opf, the resulting line looks like this:

<reference href="Text/whatever.html" title="Text" type="text" />

However, it doesn't work in Kindle. Or more accurately, sometimes it works and more often it doesn't.

There are those who claim to have broken the code, but they remain discreetly silent as to how they did it.

Here are a couple of discussions that might help, or more like not:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212660

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191387

Note that it is very easy to set the SLR wherever you want, until the book is published. Then it will open at one of the following: first text page of first chapter (the supposed default), middle of the TOC (very common), or where you set it (uncommon, in my experience).

If you beat this, kindly post your solution here!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
How do I tell Kindle to show the 2nd page of the book when a user opens up a book or by using the "bo to begining" function?
The SRL (start reading location) needs to be defined with a text guide item. For example:

Code:
  <guide>
    <reference href="Text/Chapter1.xhtml" title="Start Reading" type="text" />
  </guide>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The SRL (start reading location) needs to be defined with a text guide item. For example:

Code:
  <guide>
    <reference href="Text/Chapter1.xhtml" title="Start Reading" type="text" />
  </guide>
Thanks for clarifying what SLR is, well, I tried that when when I send my ePub to Kindle Previewer it converts the book and opens up the cover page instead of the second page which is first.html

I'm using this code:
Code:
<guide>
    <reference href="Text/first.html" title="Start Reading" type="text"/>
  </guide>
My ePub is version 3 and validated using idpf validator.

EDIT: Alright! I got it working by adding
Code:
id="start"
to the first element on the page and revising my <guide> to this:
Code:
<guide>
    <reference href="Text/first.html#start" title="Start Reading" type="text"/>
  </guide>
Thanks NotJohn for providing those thread. Thanks Doitsu!

Last edited by odedta; 05-12-2015 at 08:59 AM.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote