Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
fwyflyr
fwyflyr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bookmark problem

New here and have a question. Running Calibre on a Mac. Had no problems with the bookmark until recently. Now, it will not go to the page when I click on a assigned bookmark.
Can anyone help to resolve this?
- Ken
fwyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You mean it goes to an incorrect location? If so open a bug report and attach a file for which this problem happens. And mention a couple of locations in the file where bookmarking does not work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Dan__
Connoisseur
Dan__ began at the beginning.

Device: Nook - Simple Touch
Bookmark set but has no effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You mean it goes to an incorrect location? If so open a bug report and attach a file for which this problem happens. And mention a couple of locations in the file where bookmarking does not work.
I have the same problem. I set a bookmark on an ePub are reopened it later to resume reading. Clicking on the bookmark item in the tool bar displays by bookmark but when I click on it nothing happens. There doesn't seem to be any way to view the property of this bookmark, i.e. what location it is set to, so I can't tell if the location is corrupted or not set, or if it is set correctly and the "GOTO" mechanism is broken.
Dan__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There aren't any book marks in that file apart from the last opened page.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
Dan__
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There aren't any book marks in that file apart from the last opened page.
I am thoroughly confused at this point.

First, I added a bookmark and could see it in the popup list of dropdowns.

Then I closed the file and reopened it. I could still see the item in the list but clicking it had no effect.

Then I sent the file to you and you tell me there are no bookmarks.

Then I opened the file again (on a Mac instead of a PC) and created the bookmark again. When I closed and reopened the file the bookmark appears in the popup and it works.

I then went looking for where the bookmark is stored - after all, you said you couldn't find one so you must have looked somewhere to ascertain that fact.

I found a reference on the web that suggests that bookmarks are stored in:
META-INF\calibre_bookmarks.txt

I've looked in the file with Sigil and I can't find a MET-INF folder or such a file anywhere else and searching the entire file for the word "bookmark" doesn't find anything.

Anything you could tell me that help me understand how this all works would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dan Essin
Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

use the tweak book feature in calibre, that will let you see the calibre_bookmarks.txt file. You will see that in the file you attached it contains only a single bookmark.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
Dan__
Connoisseur

Thanks, that's very helpful. Can I conclude that the META-INF folder remains in the zip (epub) but that Sigil chooses not to display or provide access to that component?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes .
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
Dan__
Connoisseur

Thanks for the great app!