Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Unregistered Paperwhite

If I buy a Paperwhite and don't register it can I just drag and drop books to it as I do with my K3?

Will there be any disadvantage with not registering it? Assuming I might not be able to buy books from Amazon but that's not a problem for me.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, you can easily drag and drop your books the same as you do on your K3. There's really no disadvantage to not registering it other than some features will not be available to you. You also won't be able to buy books from Amazon to use on it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
pietro99
Connoisseur

Thanks. Do you know what features wouldn't be available?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
Thanks. Do you know what features wouldn't be available?
Collections is all I know of, however, there might be more.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
My PW is unregistered and I can buy books from Amazon, if I wish, and side load them via Calibre. My Collections are also managed (imported from) through Calibre.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
just out of curiosity, why would someone not want to register their kindle? is it a privacy issue?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You wouldn't get the Kindle app syncing (knowing what page you are on) through multiple devices either.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Collections for sure. Also, the most recent sort option often gets corrupted and the only way to fix it is to sync.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
rapper10
rapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PRS505, K3, PW
Didn't register mine because of privacy issues and because I sideload books from my computer. I use calibre to manage my collection and convert epubs for use on my Kindle. If not registered, you can't use collections, syncing with other devices, cloud storage for Amazon-purchased items. You avoid the special offers if you don't go online.

For me, collections were necessary. Fortunately, there is a jailbreak and a separate collections manager that works well. There are also some patches available that further enhance the Paperwhite's reading experience. By not going online, you avoid any automatic firmware updates that would disable these.
rapper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
pietro99
Connoisseur

I've just ordered a Paperwhite with offers as that was the only one I could get to come to Australia. I know I can register it and pay $20 to remove the offers, but if I don't register it will the offers even appear?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
rapper10
rapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PRS505, K3, PW
The offers appear once you open an online connection; the device automatically phones home. Since I haven't had to buy any new books, I put my Paperwhite in airplane mode first thing to save battery power, and a connection was never made. I haven't had any offers appear.
rapper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper10 View Post
The offers appear once you open an online connection; the device automatically phones home. Since I haven't had to buy any new books, I put my Paperwhite in airplane mode first thing to save battery power, and a connection was never made. I haven't had any offers appear.
That's what I really wanted to know. Thanks for that. And if you register I presume that every time you turn the wireless on it synchs with Amazon and uploads details of everything on your Kindle? I don't like that thought.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
There will be certain free books you can download on your pc and transfer to the PW, while other 'free' books (mainly those that cost a few bucks, but got everything discounted, resulting in a free book; like an amazon special of the day/week or something) won't be able to open on the device (because they're registered to be read on your PC only.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I've just ordered a Paperwhite with offers as that was the only one I could get to come to Australia. I know I can register it and pay $20 to remove the offers, but if I don't register it will the offers even appear?
I thought the "special offers" Kindles were only sold in the US?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #15
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought the "special offers" Kindles were only sold in the US?
It has to be bought through a shipping agent.