Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2024, 12:32 PM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Sage Losing Database

Twice in the last few weeks, my Sage has run out of battery (each time when I thought I was at about 5%, once when I was walking to my charger...) and when I charged it and turned it back on, not only did it not know which book I was reading (or where in that book I was), it couldn't even find the book on the device! When I connected to Calibre I received a database error but when I ejected, the Sage updated the database and my book was back (though it thought that the book [and the last several that I've read] were new and not started). Any idea what's going on?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One item to remember is that the database in memory and the database on the storage are loosely consistent. For speed, the storage copy is updated from the RAM copy when a certain amount of data has been written. An unexpected power outage can cause this mechanism to fail when not all the data is written. As many posts in these and other forums have mentioned, the battery gauge is not all that accurate so I try to avoid having the charge level drop below 10% before connecting to a charger.

I would suggest a restart before connecting to calibre which will write the database to storage and ensure that it is closed before the connection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:36 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Whether or not the battery meter is inaccurate, if the device drains it's battery past the time it can initiate a graceful shutdown, it is malfunctioning.

That being said, the reboots might be exposing some database error/corruption that has never been properly fixed. In the Kobo settings, it would be worthwhile to "Log Out" of the kobo account to clean out and refresh a new database. (Note, this will loose all current reading progress and annotations for sideloaded content.).

I would also add, if you are draining batteries to the very limit on purpose due to some old, very very outdated advice that you need to treat rechargeable batteries that way... pls stop doing so. It can still be helpful to calibrate battery meters this way, but it is in no way better for the battery.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I would also add, if you are draining batteries to the very limit on purpose due to some old, very very outdated advice that you need to treat rechargeable batteries that way... pls stop doing so. It can still be helpful to calibrate battery meters this way, but it is in no way better for the battery.
Nope. I'm just lazy and/or forgetful.
Me to self: "Don't forget to charge your Kobo before you go to bed."
Self: Zzzzzz
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote