Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #301
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I dunno. I begrudge wasting four buttons for only page turning. If you are going to put any buttons at the base of the screen, why not the three standard Android buttons? Ok, Onyx has three lower screen swipes that do this. USB 3.0, magnetic cover that shuts down, better performance and a company that at least pays lip service to improvements, give me the Onyx Poke3. Exactly how long have we been bitching about font sizes to B&N?

I'm sure that I'll never agree with anybody about what I want at the top/bottom of my reading screen. (This is off my Poke3, but the Glow is identical almost the same. The Poke3 eats some pixels at the bottom which is why the progress bar appears thick here.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gesetz.png
Views:	109
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	191087  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #302
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I have now read three books on the Glowlight 4 and happy to report it along with a Kobo Libra is one of my favorite readers. I really like it's simplicity, the screen contrast and most of all how it feels in my hand. I also read the earlier post's and made a request to B&N that they create more font sizes and get away from the practice of creating a separate small partition for side loading. But all in all I am very happy that I made the decision to buy. I do believe this will be a favorite for quite awhile.
I charged up my GL3 and started reading on it, and I have to admit, I love it, even though its such an itsy bitsy size. Such a nice screen, and I like the ergonomics.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2021, 05:00 PM   #303
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Eh. I admit I tried my Nook again, even though I intend to sell it. Just to see if I could see what y'all so like about it. Nope. I just can't get used it, not to mention enjoy it, if my life depended on it. The software is one thing, the slowness (it takes forever to open a book) another, but even the screen doesn't hold a candle to the Libra 2, for example. The light is nice-toned and even, but the contrast is about 100 times poorer. And the thing is heavy.

I just can't see any Nooks in my future. Perhaps the Glowlight 4 is faster and its contrast better, but it's only 6'' which is unacceptable to me. And the software is still the same, plus it seems they have started to limit the storage for sideloaded books again (or did I get that wrong? Can you use the whole storage without rooting and installing alternate readers? With Calibre?)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #304
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

How did you make your request? I sent an email to the address rcentros gave, but never heard anything back.
I did use the link rcentros provided and received a reply like the same day or next.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:13 PM   #305
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...they have started to limit the storage for sideloaded books again (or did I get that wrong? Can you use the whole storage without rooting and installing alternate readers? With Calibre?)
Yeah, as far as I can see, sideloading is limited to 5GB. Oh, B&N. When will you learn?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2021, 09:13 PM   #306
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did use the link rcentros provided and received a reply like the same day or next.
Hmm... Let me try sending again...
Old 12-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #307
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
(Kobo's pages left in chapter, which I adore).
Nook uses the ePub page model. So when it says three pages left in chapter, sometimes there are three screens of text, sometimes six. Sometimes some other number. If you read ePubs on your Kobo, it worked the same way.

I like Kobo's kepub where a screen counts as a page. But I don't mind the Nook way. That is just how ePubs work.

Quote:
Could it be improved? Absolutely. I'd like an actual "dark mode" if possible. Perhaps a little more fine-tuning on font size. And side-loading fonts for folks who want to do that.
It's stupid, but I really wish the Nook database was accessible by Calibre, so I could control shelves and series for sideloaded books.

In the library author view, I like that you can stack all books by a single author. You can do the same for series. But Nook only recognizes series if the book was purchased from B&N.

As for fonts, I like font size 4 and I like Georgia. But I wouldn't complain if they updated fonts as you mentioned.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:39 AM   #308
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I could not use the Nook stock software. Too many restrictions--no organization of side loaded books, no custom fonts Even without rooting, it is possible to install koreader or alreaderx, and both allow custom fonts and organizing of books via folder. Each to their own, of course, but the Nook software throttles the ability of an otherwise fine device.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #309
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Well, I went into BN yesterday to see the GL4. They didn't have one on display. When I asked about it, at least they knew it existed. He showed me one in the box. He asked if I had ever used an ereader. I said that I have the GL Plus 7.8. Then he said "You don't need this one. It is exactly the same except smaller." Is that any way to sell product? Oh well, since I can't liberate BN books anymore, I don't buy from them. If sideloading is restricted again, I guess I really don't need this one.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #310
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Well, I went into BN yesterday to see the GL4. They didn't have one on display.
Same story at my store. They have a 3 and a Plus on display.

Quote:
When I asked about it, at least they knew it existed. He showed me one in the box. He asked if I had ever used an ereader. I said that I have the GL Plus 7.8. Then he said "You don't need this one. It is exactly the same except smaller." Is that any way to sell product?
Could be that he is one of those 'ebooks aren't real books' types. I was that way until I bought a reader myself.

If nothing else, the 4 has a Carta 1200 screen and the Plus does not. Don't know if that makes a real difference.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #311
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got my case color silver sparkle
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:20 PM   #312
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Same story at my store. They have a 3 and a Plus on display.

Could be that he is one of those 'ebooks aren't real books' types. I was that way until I bought a reader myself.
Unfortunately I think B&N is it's own worst enemy when it comes to the Nook. I called my local store and asked if they had a Glowlight 4 in stock. I got the impression that she was surprised and wasn't quite sure what I was asking for but she said she would check. She came back and said, yes, they did have then in stock. I went to the store looking for a display, no display, went to the checkout counter where they normally stocked Nook products in the past. I was told to go to the information counter she didn't have any but they might be able to help. I told the person at the information counter I was interested in the Glowlight and his response was, "I don't think we have any in stock." I told him I had called 15 minutes earlier and was told they did have stock. He then said, "Oh, let me check.", went to the back of the store where they kept there stock and handed me the Glowlight. I have gotten the feeling in the past also that B&N employee's regard selling e-readers as an embarrassment to "real reading". It's annoying but I once again have to state I think it's a good product, also got my cover today and once again - not beautiful, nor extravagant, but light and fit's my needs perfectly. Just as comfortable holding in my hand for long periods as without the cover.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #313
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Unfortunately I think B&N is it's own worst enemy when it comes to the Nook.
When I used to work there, BN.com and the stores were run as two different businesses. The store couldn't match web prices and so on. I left right as the first Nook rolled out, but I got the feeling the Nook was seen as more of a BN.com product.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #314
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
One place where B&N missed the boat was in capitalizing on one distinctive feature of their ereaders - long before we had heard of Onyx or Boyue, B&N was selling Android E-Ink devices. B&N could have sold this as an advantage over Kindle or Kobo. They could have offered Pocket (like Kobo does/did) or Instapaper. More than that, they could have had a curated app store made up of apps that focus on text and that have been tweaked to look good and run smoothly on E-Ink. If the devices sold well, developers would feel motivated to offer E-Ink-friendly apps. B&N could have promoted "E-Ink is easier on the eyes" as well.

Actually, it's still not too late. Most people who buy a Kindle or a Kobo (and have never visited Mobileread) have never heard of Onyx or Boyue. With a little clever advertising, B&N could create a market for such a Nook device, at least in North America. Will it happen? Given B&N's track record, I won't bet very much on it...
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #315
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
One place where B&N missed the boat was in capitalizing on one distinctive feature of their ereaders - long before we had heard of Onyx or Boyue, B&N was selling Android E-Ink devices. B&N could have sold this as an advantage over Kindle or Kobo. They could have offered Pocket (like Kobo does/did) or Instapaper. More than that, they could have had a curated app store made up of apps that focus on text and that have been tweaked to look good and run smoothly on E-Ink. If the devices sold well, developers would feel motivated to offer E-Ink-friendly apps. B&N could have promoted "E-Ink is easier on the eyes" as well.

Actually, it's still not too late. Most people who buy a Kindle or a Kobo (and have never visited Mobileread) have never heard of Onyx or Boyue. With a little clever advertising, B&N could create a market for such a Nook device, at least in North America. Will it happen? Given B&N's track record, I won't bet very much on it...
B&N has just never cared enough about their Nook or e-book division in general. They're the only major player in e-book business who don't sell internationally, for example. That alone is telling. They just don't really care. Ebooks and Nooks are an afterthought for them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook