Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Ectaco Jetbook, from Newegg, as one of the top performers...

Full artcile

As far as cost goes, E-readers are only now coming down in price. As price declines and features improve, I think stores will begin carry a broader selection, which would stimulate competition and drive down prices further. Right now the brands I usually see are Kindle and Sony. Top visibility doesn't translate into top performance, however. Some early adopters point to the Ectaco Jetbook, from Newegg, as one of the top performers — it remains the lowest priced unit with the broadest format support.

The early Jetbook model was hamstrung by built-in batteries, which have since been supplanted by standard batteries. Any business traveler realizes that removable, replaceable, or rechargeable batteries are very, very important features. Other features to look for include: bright backlighting; easy zoom capability; a variety of fonts; and the ability to display text in both landscape (horizontal) and portrait (vertical) formats.

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I set auto page turn mode and my jetBook-lite worked 51 hours non stop with
Energizer Ultimate L91BP-4 Lithium AA Batteries - almost 3 times longer than with alkaline or NiMH Batteries!

An added benefit is that the L91 weighs only 14.5 grams (0.5 oz) each, compared to 30 grams (1 oz) for NiMH. So JBL becomes much lighter.

Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
That's pretty good. The biggest downfall that I have with those batteries is the price. Until I decide what I want to do about rechargeables, I have been using "cheapo" Sunbeam alkaline batteries from the dollar store. They last about 20 or so hours of reading. I don't think that is too bad for a "buck"!
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
wow! those are some pretty insane numbers!

the general idea of batteries in the jetBook LITE is superb. if you're at the airport, just buy some for a few bucks and you can fly around the world twice on a set of 8!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
wow! those are some pretty insane numbers!

the general idea of batteries in the jetBook LITE is superb. if you're at the airport, just buy some for a few bucks and you can fly around the world twice on a set of 8!
Agree, I don't know why Sony or Samsung don't produce eBook readers with
AA or AAA batteries yet. Many companies like Canon or Kodak do it for digital cameras for many years and customers like it.
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Full artcile
...Other features to look for include: bright backlighting...
Bright backlighting? I agreed with everything he said except that!

Thanks for your experiment, Kris! How does the cost of lithium batteries compare to rechargeables?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Bright backlighting? I agreed with everything he said except that!

Thanks for your experiment, Kris! How does the cost of lithium batteries compare to rechargeables?
I paid $7.29 for 4 pcs. The cost of rechargeables about $10 depends on brand. I may take 4 lithium batteries for my next trip to HK in order to don't take charger with me
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I paid $7.29 for 4 pcs. The cost of rechargeables about $10 depends on brand. I may take 4 lithium batteries for my next trip to HK in order to don't take charger with me
Sounds like a very practical approach, the lithiums for trips like that and
rechargeable for day to day use.

I understand that the lithium batteries are significantly lighter that the
rechargeable, did you notice any real difference in holding up the JBL?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Sounds like a very practical approach, the lithiums for trips like that and
rechargeable for day to day use.

I understand that the lithium batteries are significantly lighter that the
rechargeable, did you notice any real difference in holding up the JBL?

Luck;
Ken
Yes, JBL becomes much lighter with lithium batteries. The weight of
4 lithium batteries = weight of 2 rechargeable .

Last edited by Kris777; 04-17-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
The Only Way to Go

AA batteries rather than a built in rechargeable is way superior. You can get 4 rechargeable batteries with a charger in Walmart for $12, and the cheap Rayovac rechargeables are fine for this book reader. And you can get AA alkalines anywhere in the world (I think).

I heard a radio program about a couple that backpacked around the world, and in places where they could get a place to sleep for $2 a night, worn out American paperback books were $5 or more, and you had to take what you could get.

So why not carry a small municipal library, a few 4 packs of lithium batteries, and a 10 cent zip-lock bag to keep the water out?
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
AA batteries rather than a built in rechargeable is way superior. You can get 4 rechargeable batteries with a charger in Walmart for $12, and the cheap Rayovac rechargeables are fine for this book reader. And you can get AA alkalines anywhere in the world (I think).

I heard a radio program about a couple that backpacked around the world, and in places where they could get a place to sleep for $2 a night, worn out American paperback books were $5 or more, and you had to take what you could get.

So why not carry a small municipal library, a few 4 packs of lithium batteries, and a 10 cent zip-lock bag to keep the water out?
100% agree
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Have you tried buying in a Dollar Store ?

Here in Britain I bought two rechargables in a Pound Shop (actually a 99p shop) for 0.99 GBP so say $3.20 for 4.

Only 700 milliamp hours so they need charging once a week but a very good price for a third backup.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote