Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are starting with the 6th book in a series where the book club has not read the first 5. And no way can you tell us that all of these are stand alone.

Please change your nomination to the 1st book and not the 6th. If you do insist on keeping this, then make sure it's listed in the voting as the 6th book of a series. I want to make sure everybody knows it's 6th of a series which is a very back idea.
Yes, I'm PERFECTLY WELL AWARE, Jon. I even specified in my nomination that it wasn't the first book in the series, and gave my reasoning. Get over it.

To reiterate, I chose this book because it is the first book in which an ongoing key character, Agatha Troy, is introduced. And because there's really zero dependence on earlier books in the series, I see no downside whatsoever.

So yes, I DO insist on keeping this, and it's already received the necessary nominations, and no one did so with the information hidden in any way.

It's a good book, and a good entry point to the series. You can always go back and read earlier ones if you want, they're all quite short and quite enjoyable. Another reason I chose this book as a starting point, by the way, is that the narrator of the Audible book is Nadia May (real name: Wanda McCaddon). I'd listen to her read the sixth volume of the London phone directory.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-21-2017 at 04:10 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, I'm PERFECTLY WELL AWARE,
There is no way at all that I will believe that all of the first 6 books are standalone. Even if the story of #6 doesn't rely on any of the other books, there is such a thing as character development.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-21-2017 at 06:04 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both The Dry, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle look at least promising, but the Jane Harper book is $13 -- more than I am willing to spend, and it's NOT available at my library. I'm going to hold onto my last ticket for a bit, to see if something else comes along that's interesting, but if the Higgins book ends up needing a third, and I still have mine left, I'll give it a nod.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Dry could use two more nods if anyone wants to help out.

I'm saving my one nod left to see if any other books get nominated.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no way at all that I will believe that all of the first sex books are standalone....

Why am I suddenly reminded of the song, 'Imaginary Lovers'?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Why am I suddenly reminded of the song, 'Imaginary Lovers'?
LOL!

*Sigh* to minimum post requirements
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #37
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I nominate THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY by Alexander McCall Smith.

This is the first book in a delightful series. The mystery aspect tends towards lightweight cases, but the characters are charming.

Quote:
This first novel in Alexander McCall Smith’s widely acclaimed The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series tells the story of the delightfully cunning and enormously engaging Precious Ramotswe, who is drawn to her profession to “help people with problems in their lives.” Immediately upon setting up shop in a small storefront in Gaborone, she is hired to track down a missing husband, uncover a con man, and follow a wayward daughter. But the case that tugs at her heart, and lands her in danger, is a missing eleven-year-old boy, who may have been snatched by witchdoctors.
Goodreads link
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tective_Agency

Last edited by Alohamora; 01-22-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #38
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I nominate THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY by Alexander McCall Smith.

This is the first book in a delightful series. The mystery aspect tends towards lightweight cases, but the characters are charming.

Goodreads link
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tective_Agency
These are charming cozies, though I'm not sure how well they stand up to a deep discussion. OTOH, I'm not sure I care. Certainly, the first few are quite entertaining, IMO. I'll use my last ticket to second this.

Pages: 272

Amazon: $4.99
KoboCA: $5.99 CDN
Audible: $17.49 (8.49 WhisperSync)

I would also like to urge folks to give Track of the Cat by Nevada Bar a third so it can be part of the voting.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-22-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Whoever gives The Dry a third and and has nominated a book that is still waiting to be nominated, I'll give it a nod.

Now who's first to give a new writer a nod?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency sounds like fun. Thirded.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency sounds like fun. Thirded.
It does sound fun. It has been on my wishlist for a while now.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
It does sound fun. It has been on my wishlist for a while now.
I do like a cozy mystery!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I notice that so far, only one book nominated is >400 pages. This is a good thing! And so far, there's only one book in the list that I have no interest in whatsoever. Though I'm afraid there are several that will be a re-read for me.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #44
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I will "third" Track of the Cat, it does sound interesting. And my library has the ebook on Overdrive, but not the audio. Too bad, as I always enjoy Barbra Rosenblat reading.

Last edited by Alohamora; 01-22-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I was looking over what I might want to third, but I've noticed that The Friends of Eddie Coyle needs a proper description or I cannot possibly third it. This means it needs to replace the non-description in the nominated thread.