Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #31
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Seriously no idea what happened there, MGlitch; the mod does nothing that could enlarge fonts anywhere, it also should not be able to affect how nickel draws stuff... it's a mystery.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #32
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I'll gladly be a one off for this feature, which from what I've read here seems to be the case.

Just wish Kobo would allow for selecting a screensaver from a selection of images.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #33
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
is there a way to remove it permanently from device ?
The mod can now be uninstalled by creating a file named ".ScreenSaver/uninstall" without extension. On successfull uninstall it will be renamed to uninstalled-$date.

I've also included support for devices other than the H2O now. Ideally it should work for all Kobos (those which are using 3.12/3.13 firmware). Since I can not test this directly please try it and report back if it works for your device (and tell us which device).

As a side effect, PNG images of any size are accepted now (but not scaled). If the PNG is larger than the screen, it will be cropped on display; if it's smaller it will appear unscaled in the top left corner of the screen (also it might shave off the top 10 pixels for devices that are 1430x1080 or 758x1024). So depending on your screen size you should go with 1080x1440, or 768x1024, or 600x800 as the PNG image size.

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-04-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #34
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The mod can now be uninstalled by creating a file named ".ScreenSaver/uninstall" without extension. On successfull uninstall it will be renamed to uninstalled-$date.
hi
thank you again
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #35
iamricki
iamricki began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I've also included support for devices other than the H2O now. Ideally it should work for all Kobos (those which are using 3.12/3.13 firmware).
Good news: Works on my Kobo Aura. Bad news: It freezes my Kobo Aura intermittently. When it freezes, Power on slide button becomes unresponsive for about 30 mins before being able to reboot.
iamricki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2015, 04:15 AM   #36
frostschutz
Linux User

Can you give more detail... such as, when exactly does this freeze occur? As it goes into standby, or when it tries to come out of it, or while it is running normally, or ...?

Does this happen with the stock images or custom ones? I did not particularly test how it behaves with strange or broken PNG images. Also as for filenames, shorter is better, and preferably no special characters [' " / & ; whitespace] in them. So if it "works" but you get a random freeze there may be a bad image in the bunch, and when this image is randomly chosen it goes bang...?

Edit: also which other mods are you using, if any?

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-14-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #37
iamricki
iamricki began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hey, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Can you give more detail... such as, when exactly does this freeze occur?
It freezes when it comes out of sleep/standby. It just hangs there for about 30 minutes before I could get the power button to wake it up or restart.

Quote:
Does this happen with the stock images or custom ones?
It happens with both stock and custom ones. Custom ones have got short names with no special characters.

Quote:
Edit: also which other mods are you using, if any?
Only mod I'm using is the night mode mod.
iamricki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #38
frostschutz
Linux User

Just installed night mode myself, but even so I can't reproduce any freezing issues. Sorry... I'll put it on the list, maybe something will turn up in the long run.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #39
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: BOL Oyo, Kobo Glo 8GB
please a update for 3.15!!
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #40
frostschutz
Linux User

Oh, it broke again *sigh* It appears that Kobo removed the log messages that this mod relied on to detect standby condition, so I'm not sure how to fix it. I'll have to check if there is some other way.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #41
frostschutz
Linux User

Here is a version for 3.15.0. It's not a real fix, only a workaround, which I hope won't backfire. Before 3.15.0 the screensaver image was triggered by a very specific log message that nickel printed on standby (IconPowerView); this message vanished in 3.15.0 and so I'm using another log message now which seems to be unrelated but just happens to show up when the device goes into standby as well. I've tested it for a bit and it seems to work.

But there's a possibility the log message might appear under other circumstances as well in which case the device would show a standby image when it shouldn't. Didn't happen to me yet so I'm crossing fingers at this point.

Edit: attachment removed as it was broken

Last edited by frostschutz; 04-30-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #42
Kobo_Mao
Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Here is a version for 3.15.0. It's not a real fix, only a workaround, which I hope won't backfire. Before 3.15.0 the screensaver image was triggered by a very specific log message that nickel printed on standby (IconPowerView); this message vanished in 3.15.0 and so I'm using another log message now which seems to be unrelated but just happens to show up when the device goes into standby as well. I've tested it for a bit and it seems to work.

But there's a possibility the log message might appear under other circumstances as well in which case the device would show a standby image when it shouldn't. Didn't happen to me yet so I'm crossing fingers at this point.
Uff!!
Don't work on Kobo Glo (FW 3.15)....
Kobo_Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #43
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo_Mao View Post
Don't work on Kobo Glo (FW 3.15)...
That's unfortunate... not sure how to help you, I only have the H2O to test with.

If other people are trying this, please post some feedback, which device do you have, does it work for you or not? Thanks!

Last edited by frostschutz; 04-29-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #44
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Just for your information, on Kobo Touch under FW 3.15.0, nickel does not message anything specific when entering standby.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #45
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
I confirm the problem on Glo with fw 3.15.
Not tested on Aura Hd and H2O, because I still use the old fw.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote