Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kindle Paperwhite $35.50

I was in my local Staples, went to look at the Kindles, and they have/had the Paperwhite on clearance for $35.50.

I called back, to make sure the price was correct, they said it was, so I purchased one (they said it was the last one in stock.)

I assume it is the latest generation, as it says "Now with a 300PPI display" on the box.

Their website doesn't say anything about a clearance, and neither does their Weekly Flyer.

The sales associate didn't have much additional information; usually things on clearance mean a new model is coming out and that other stores would probably also have them on clearance (she offered to call around, I declined).

It had an original price of $119.00.

I took a picture of the display if anyone is interested.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Yes please. And, just to clarify, this is the one with the light?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it has a light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339 copy2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	166944  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!! Of course my local one doesn't have any....
S
Old 10-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thank you!! Of course my local one doesn't have any....
S
Did they say they were on clearance but out of stock?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
silverraven
Guru

Actually, I just checked online. It said my local one had none. I was assuming that was right. Was that the wrong assumption?
S
Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Actually, I just checked online. It said my local one had none. I was assuming that was right. Was that the wrong assumption?
S
I don't know. I called my local store, they said they had one, I bought it, and now the website says there are none at my local store, and only 1 available within a 100 mile radius (and there are about 25 stores in a 100 mile radius).

Maybe Staples isn't going to be carrying the paperwhite anymore?
Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
silverraven
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't know. I called my local store, they said they had one, I bought it, and now the website says there are none at my local store, and only 1 available within a 100 mile radius (and there are about 25 stores in a 100 mile radius).

Maybe Staples isn't going to be carrying the paperwhite anymore?
Called my local. They have none. Oh well. I wonder if they are clearing out for a new model?
Thanks for the info though.
S
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
John F. didn't give a part number, but Staples' website shows model B00OQVZDJM, Item: 1684954, which appears to be available in a few stores, based on 1-hour pickup, B01BFIBRIE, Item: 2424941, which looks to be a white Paperwhite, and B00JG8GOWU, Item: 1204044, which is out of stock online and not available in stores and was replaced by model B00OQVZDJM/Item: 1684954.

None of the stores near me appear to have any of the newer Paperwhites in stock, based on the 1-hour pickup. I don't know if that implies they're just sold out, Staples is not stocking any in stores anymore, or that it's the older Paperwhite in clearance.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Staples.com says they are still $119 ... nothing is on sale

https://www.staples.com/kindle/directory_kindle
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 AM   #11
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was in my local Staples, went to look at the Kindles, and they have/had the Paperwhite on clearance for $35.50.

I called back, to make sure the price was correct, they said it was, so I purchased one (they said it was the last one in stock.)

I assume it is the latest generation, as it says "Now with a 300PPI display" on the box.

Their website doesn't say anything about a clearance, and neither does their Weekly Flyer.

The sales associate didn't have much additional information; usually things on clearance mean a new model is coming out and that other stores would probably also have them on clearance (she offered to call around, I declined).

It had an original price of $119.00.

I took a picture of the display if anyone is interested.
Thanks for your post. Great find. Sounds like several people were able to grab the deal.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:27 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
John F. didn't give a part number, but Staples' website shows model B00OQVZDJM, Item: 1684954, which appears to be available in a few stores, based on 1-hour pickup, B01BFIBRIE, Item: 2424941, which looks to be a white Paperwhite, and B00JG8GOWU, Item: 1204044, which is out of stock online and not available in stores and was replaced by model B00OQVZDJM/Item: 1684954.

None of the stores near me appear to have any of the newer Paperwhites in stock, based on the 1-hour pickup. I don't know if that implies they're just sold out, Staples is not stocking any in stores anymore, or that it's the older Paperwhite in clearance.
The model number in the picture I posted was: B00OQVZDJM. I don't see any similar model/numbers on the box. The Device Info under settings just has a serial number. On the back of the Paperwhite it says "MODEL NO. DP75SDI". It has 4GB.

In case you can't tell, this is my first Kindle.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:30 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

If you are interested in the clearance price, find where it is in a store using the website, than call the store and ask.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #14
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Nice post, but maybe put the store name and clearance YMMV in the thread title next time.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #15
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

But when I went into my local store, they were listed at $35.50, and I managed to get the last one.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote