Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 02:36 AM   #61
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
New Kobo Aura One 32 GB arrived today and the Wi-Fi transmission or reception seems to be defective. Cannot get it to connect to Wi-Fi. It detects my network but when I enter my password I get a error message "Unable to Join "My Chart...". Please try again." I even tried it within 3 feet of my wi-fi equipment. I suspect the transmitter on the Kobo is defective as it picks up lots of wi-fi signals and indicates mine is full strength. BTW I have multiple other Kobo and Kindle readers and none has had a problem joining the network. Battery is fully charged. This is a first. Be contacting Kobo tomorrow. Any ideas?
First try on a few different routers to make sure it wont connect to any(you can also try with a hotspot from your phone).
If it connects to other routers, then you can read this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...04#post3627304

Hopefully this will help and you wont have to do the "Support Dance"
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #62
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
No phone hotspot as I do not have a smart phone or even a cellular phone of any sort. Also no access to another Wi-Fi network nearby. I have 4 other Kobo e-readers and multiple Kindles and Sonys on the personal network with no problem, even another Aura One, the 8GB version. This computer is on the network too, a Charter Communications claimed 100 MB / second wi-fi network.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #63
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
No phone hotspot as I do not have a smart phone or even a cellular phone of any sort. Also no access to another Wi-Fi network nearby. I have 4 other Kobo e-readers and multiple Kindles and Sonys on the personal network with no problem, even another Aura One, the 8GB version. This computer is on the network too, a Charter Communications claimed 100 MB / second wi-fi network.
Go get a cup of coffee at McDonald's or go to your nearest Walmart.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #64
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Go get a cup of coffee at McDonald's or go to your nearest Walmart.
WHY? If it will not hook up to the same equipment that works perfectly with 4 other Kobo readers, including another Aura One, then I do not want it. If I cannot use it with the equipment I have then to me it is defective as I have about 20 devices on the network and none have had any problem connecting other than a blacklisted Kindle I bought on ebay and returned.

Even if it hooked up at Walmart or Starbucks, etc I would still consider it defective as everything else works with my Wi-Fi setup as have friends portable computers. When one of about 20+ devices refuses to join the network the one failing device is defective the way I see it. Using the network right now to write this. Kobo has already agreed to replace it so I am now just waiting for the paperwork.

BTW I worked in reliability and specification compliance engineering in Silicon Valley for almost 20 years and anything that did not work the same as other same type electronics was considered to be defective.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
WHY? If it will not hook up to the same equipment that works perfectly with 4 other Kobo readers, including another Aura One, then I do not want it. If I cannot use it with the equipment I have then to me it is defective as I have about 20 devices on the network and none have had any problem connecting other than a blacklisted Kindle I bought on ebay and returned.

Even if it hooked up at Walmart or Starbucks, etc I would still consider it defective as everything else works with my Wi-Fi setup as have friends portable computers. When one of about 20+ devices refuses to join the network the one failing device is defective the way I see it. Using the network right now to write this. Kobo has already agreed to replace it so I am now just waiting for the paperwork.

BTW I worked in reliability and specification compliance engineering in Silicon Valley for almost 20 years and anything that did not work the same as other same type electronics was considered to be defective.
I do agree. If other devices work on your Wi-Fi and the one device doesn't, it's the device.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #66
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Why a cup of coffee at McDonald's because their coffee is actually good. Why Wal-Mart because it is time to stock up on things like Dawn, freezer bags and get some good drain cleaner.
I didn't realize you had been in the business. I will remember that.
Glad to know you are just waiting on paperwork.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Why a cup of coffee at McDonald's because their coffee is actually good. Why Wal-Mart because it is time to stock up on things like Dawn, freezer bags and get some good drain cleaner.
I didn't realize you had been in the business. I will remember that.
Glad to know you are just waiting on paperwork.
I don't have a strong opinion of McDonald's, but Walmart should be avoided like the plague that they are.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #68
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't have a strong opinion of McDonald's, but Walmart should be avoided like the plague that they are.
I managed to avoid them for 2 months.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #69
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Second Aura One finally arrived. At first it acted like the first one but I did get it to hook up to my Wi-Fi network after I cycled it on and off a couple of times. Fortunately I remembered that Kobo tech support had me do that with the original unit. No help on the original Aura One 32 GB but it worked with the new one. Only 42 days by my count total from original order to get a working 32GB Kobo Aura One, a time I consider to be totally unacceptable.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Second Aura One finally arrived. At first it acted like the first one but I did get it to hook up to my Wi-Fi network after I cycled it on and off a couple of times. Fortunately I remembered that Kobo tech support had me do that with the original unit. No help on the original Aura One 32 GB but it worked with the new one. Only 42 days by my count total from original order to get a working 32GB Kobo Aura One, a time I consider to be totally unacceptable.
Hopefully the Walmart affiliation will help fix this (in the U.S.).

What do you think of the Kobo Aura One device itself?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #71
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

My second Aura one as I now have the 8 GB version and the new 32 GB version. The screen seems HUGE compared to a 6" ebook reader but the firmware is current Kono. After using a Sony reader, a Kindle 4/5, a Kindle Voyage and a Kindle Oasis 2 I really miss the page turn buttons or sensors.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is it about page turn buttons you miss?

When I got my 650, I used the page turn buttons less than 10 times in total. I've never missed them and I don't want them. There's no need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #73
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't have a strong opinion about McDonalds but I am curious as to what it is they sell, because it certainly isn't food – it appears to be some form of plastic composite. (This is coming from someone who's first, full-time job was at McDonalds, at 16.) I was the last in our family to eat there (about two years ago) and, by the end, about the only thing I could digest was their morning "sausage" and "biscuit" thing. Have you ever seen what happens to McDonald's food when you don't throw it away? It doesn't rot, it mummifies.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-07-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is it about page turn buttons you miss?

When I got my 650, I used the page turn buttons less than 10 times in total. I've never missed them and I don't want them. There's no need.
I don't (yet) have a 650, but I've got a T1, T2, 350, 505, 950 and (for now) a 600 and 900 and I almost always use the page turn keys with these. On the Kindle Keyboard and 4, I don't have any choice but to use keys (but I think it's probably partly why I prefer them to my Kindle Touch and 8th Generation). And I use the page turn buttons on my Nooks almost exclusively.

So everyone is different. I will admit, however, that with my "new" T1 with its lighted cover installed, the page turn buttons are harder to get to and I've started swiping more on the T1 than on the others. It has a good, sensitive touch screen.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #75
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The Kindle and the Kobo screen page-turn navigation are not ambidextrous. They are very limiting and very uncustomizable. They could be much better. Alreader or Coolreader are far better. Physical buttons, particularly on both sides works.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote