Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Unable to Open Previously or Newly Sideloaded Books on Glowlight Plus 3

Greetings. I just had an update and now none of my sideloaded books will open. When I click on them it takes me to a page with a menu that reads: Details/Customer Reviews/Editorial Reviews/More Like This. There is a "read" button next to an image of the cover of the book. When I tap on that I get the message: "Could not launch reader." Additionally, I got a book from Kobo today and have made several attempts to sideload it both from within Calibre and directly from my PC. I've put the book in both Nook/My Files/Books (which is where my other sideloaded files are) as well as just in Nook/My Files. I also noticed when I sideloaded this from Calibre it shows up as just as a file whereas my other sideloaded books show up as folders. Regardless, I can't open any of them and the new one doesn't even show up in my library on my reader. Any suggestions? I love the hardware to the Glowlight Plus 3, my favorite of the three readers I've owned, but it sure is a lot of effort just to open a book! Time for a Kobo?
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm not trying to be snarky, but have you powered down the Nook and restarted it? I had some issues once after an update and a reboot fixed everything. The only other option I can think of is to do a factory reset and reload your books. Hopefully someone else can chime in with ideas.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #3
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thank you RWTS, and not snarky at all. I did restart again tonight, and while it didn't affect anything currently on my reader, it does appear I can now sideload and open some books (but not others.) A bit of a mystery. The good news is I was able to open the book I'm currently reading. Thanks again for your response.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCompany View Post
Thank you RWTS, and not snarky at all. I did restart again tonight, and while it didn't affect anything currently on my reader, it does appear I can now sideload and open some books (but not others.) A bit of a mystery. The good news is I was able to open the book I'm currently reading. Thanks again for your response.
The books that won't open, have you tried removing them from the Nook using Calibre, ejecting the Nook, then plugging it in again and adding them back?

This is all just guesswork. I don't know if it will help or not. I haven't had that issue on either of my Nooks (knock on wood).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
GoodCompany
Connoisseur

Thanks for the suggestion ZodWallop. After waiting 40 minutes today, I spoke with a BN rep. Somehow my Adobe ID got wiped out, so we added that, but when I hung up it was still hit and miss on what books were opening (even after re-donwloading), so I took her other suggestion and erased and reregistered and now everything is hunky dorey. This is why I so appreciate Calibre and having all my books in one place. I have come so close so many times to giving up on the Nook and going back to a Kindle or moving on to a Kobo, but when the Glowlight is functioning, I haven't had a reading experience I like better.
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I have come so close so many times to giving up on the Nook and going back to a Kindle or moving on to a Kobo, but when the Glowlight is functioning, I haven't had a reading experience I like better.
I agree. I bounce back and for between my 2015 Glowlight Plus and my Kobo Clara (the Glowlight 3 was snatched by the better half long ago).

Incidentally, the Glowlight Plus seems more stable than the Glowlight 3. I think in part it's due to the way Calibre sideloads to the 3.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:18 PM   #7
Shagbark
Shagbark began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simpletouch
Where did you put the sideloaded books? I haven't yet found any directory on the Nook (Glowlight 3+ 7.8") where book put in that directory will appear in my Library.
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
... I have come so close so many times to giving up on the Nook and going back to a Kindle or moving on to a Kobo, but when the Glowlight is functioning, I haven't had a reading experience I like better.
Just curious, what version of software did you upgrade to, and did they tell you what it improved?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #9
Shagbark
Shagbark began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simpletouch
To answer my own question:

To get my books to appear, I created, under NOOK, the subdirectories Books, Documents, My Files [space between words], and MyDocuments [no space]. Those are the names of the directories that documents had to go under on my Nook Simpletouch.

The books under Documents aren't visible, or else (more likely) search is so buggy that I can't find them (and I'm certainly not going to take an hour to scroll through hundreds of pages to find them manually). I didn't test "Books". Files under "My Files" are visible if I choose "My Files"; files under "MyDocuments" are visible under "All Types" or "Everything Else".

The Nook software is so useless for anyone with more than a hundred books that I used the Android program "adb" to install the launcher "Text Launcher" and the document viewer KOReader on it. KOReader can display more filetypes, can display PDFs in landscape mode, AND lets me search the directory structure for them. So I boot the nook, wait for the slow and useless Nook software to load, tap the upside-down 'U', select Text Launcher, launch KOReader, and use it to find, select, and read whatever I want to.

Supposedly I could delete the Nook software and boot directly to Text Launcher if I rooted the Nook, but I don't know if I want to risk trying that (and haven't found up-to-date instructions on how to do it). My Glowlight 3+ is running an Android version that's at least 4.2, but below 5.1 .
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark View Post
The Nook software is so useless...
No argument there.

BTW, it's Android 4.4.2
I don't find anything so great in the latest Android versions, but 4.4.2 is looking a bit long in the tooth.

Editorial: Your book collection and the time you took to organize it is the gold. A device is ephemeral. Normally we're talking about keeping that gold on your desktop. I've always said (and demonstrated it) that I don't care if a truck runs over my device as long as that device is not in my pocket at the time.

Last edited by Renate; 09-24-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote