Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
SonyFan
Words Are Truth!
SonyFan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I Hope to Purchase PRS-505

Hello, All,

I'm new here - a visitor from Surrey, England - The first of many postings, I think! - After seeing a PRS-505 in the flesh last weekend at a Sony dealer in Gloucester, I intend to purchase one.

However, the only reader on sale in Britain, is the Silver model, and I want the Dark Blue version. For this reason, it looks like I will be going to buy, through a seller on Ebay, from the States.

I understand that this means, that I won't get the UK CD with 100 free titles on it, and also that I won't be able to use the Sony store in the States (No U.S.A. address, or credit card) - Also that if anything goes wrong, the warranty will only be of use stateside.

However, I figure that the book stuff that I will want, (out of that 100 freebies) should be available in the public domain elsewhere.

Can I have any thoughts, on whether all this would be a wise move - I was considering buying through this seller - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Sony-PRS-5...d=p3286.c0.m14 -

Has anyone dealt with him?

Also, I would be interested in downloading - Ian Fleming, Alistair Maclean, Agatha Christie, Frederick Forsyth amongst others.

I already have downloaded the latest version of 'Calibre', as well as the instruction manuals.

Thanks for reading,

Regards,
SonyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A purely personal opinion - I think you'd have to be crazy to buy a machine without a warranty just because of the colour of it. After you've paid shipping and VAT, you'll be spending more money than you would if you bought the UK model, and unfortunately some machines DO go wrong.

Obviously it's your choice, but I'd buy the official UK model - I really would.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
i'd buy a silver one in the UK, if you really want a different color look at the various skins they sell for the Reader, you might find a few on ebay.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, SonyFan:

No one has welcomed you to the site, so let me be the first.

Much of what you ask for is not in public domain, and is available only for purchase.

However, we have a large selection of free public domain books for download here on MobileRead.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
if you really want a different color look at the various skins they sell for the Reader
See Skinit now has skins for the PRS-505
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
For the price and shipping published, I would rather go for an established e-store that shipped internationally - bhphotovideo.
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Note that when buying internationally, you're liable for VAT & duty (plus the associated charges levied by the importers) so in addition to the the price you pay to B&H, there's a further cost. From memory, £40-£50 or so, but it was a while ago.

Personally, I'd just go for the Silver one - I went for the Blue, but would go for speed & simplicity of purchase (and a local warranty) over colour.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
I'm not sure it's the best time to buy a Sony reader as they may be announcing a new model on 2nd October.
All that is known for certain, is that they are announcing something.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
SonyFan
Words Are Truth!
SonyFan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice - I really am after the Blue Reader at the moment, but it's also good advice to wait until 2nd. October, and see what comes up. - The thing with buying abroad, and the cost, don't worry me too much - Life's too short, I want what I want, not what Sony will sell me locally.

I should mention that I am a big Sony fan, having also been into Shortwave (broadcast) receiving radio - And some of the discontinued units, I got sent to me from Japan, via U.S.A. - but Sony have now abandoned this market.

Looks like the Reader, is 'pastures new' for them, and if they can advertise, and sell enough of them, a business opportunity.

But until I came upon this site, I hadn't realised the opposition, and especially the way quite a few people in the States, now own and use this technology.

Regards,
SonyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Most people who have agonized over the color, including me, have said after it's all over that it turned out not to be that important. I recommend you go for the UK version and add a skin if you find one you really like.

I use both the MEdge Executive and Leisure covers and the Leisure cover pretty much obscures the color of the reader and does a great job protecting it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
SonyFan

I am second to HarryT's advice, but if you are going for blue one from the USA, then as some have already said it is the best practice to buy from a trustworthy seller such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...STEM_BLUE.html
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I also would buy the silver one with warranty - mine broke after 10 months but because its from the US i have no warranty...

Best wishes,

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
kship41
kship41 began at the beginning.

Device: blackberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyFan View Post
Hello, All,

I'm new here - a visitor from Surrey, England - The first of many postings, I think! - After seeing a PRS-505 in the flesh last weekend at a Sony dealer in Gloucester, I intend to purchase one.

However, the only reader on sale in Britain, is the Silver model, and I want the Dark Blue version. For this reason, it looks like I will be going to buy, through a seller on Ebay, from the States.

I understand that this means, that I won't get the UK CD with 100 free titles on it, and also that I won't be able to use the Sony store in the States (No U.S.A. address, or credit card) - Also that if anything goes wrong, the warranty will only be of use stateside.

However, I figure that the book stuff that I will want, (out of that 100 freebies) should be available in the public domain elsewhere.

Can I have any thoughts, on whether all this would be a wise move - I was considering buying through this seller - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Sony-PRS-5...d=p3286.c0.m14 -

Has anyone dealt with him?

Also, I would be interested in downloading - Ian Fleming, Alistair Maclean, Agatha Christie, Frederick Forsyth amongst others.

I already have downloaded the latest version of 'Calibre', as well as the instruction manuals.

Thanks for reading,

Regards,
I know how it is when you want what you want
If you use Bongo International you can purchase your dark blue model from any US online retailer, and if the US address and credit card are the problems, they can handle that for you
Check out http://bongous.com
kship41 is offline   Reply With Quote