Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
iBooks help and question

In my library, it not only shows the book I bought but all the sequels and their costs if I want to buy. This annoys me so much I do not even use iBooks now. Is there a way to fix your library so it only shows what you purchased and nothing else. It lists books in the series and future releases along with your ebook and to me, it is just annoying clutter. Also, the background goes black at night is there a way to shut that off?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
In my library, it not only shows the book I bought but all the sequels and their costs if I want to buy. This annoys me so much I do not even use iBooks now. Is there a way to fix your library so it only shows what you purchased and nothing else. It lists books in the series and future releases along with your ebook and to me, it is just annoying clutter. Also, the background goes black at night is there a way to shut that off?
iBooks is now called Books app. Hopefully the use of forcing Dark mode at night whether you have chosen Dark mode or Light mode in Settings is a bug. You can set Dark or Light mode in Settings —> Display & Brightness in iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1. It seems to have no effect on Books app at night even if you chose Light mode because you still have books displayed in Dark mode. Hopefully Apple will fix this.

Sorry but I rarely use the Books app so I cannot help with your other questions.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-26-2019 at 10:39 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Settings - Books - turn off Online Content. You also might want to turn off Book Store under searching on the same screen.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #4
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Also, the background goes black at night is there a way to shut that off?
Open the book. In the text formatting box turn off "Auto-Night Theme"
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Settings - Books - turn off Online Content. You also might want to turn off Book Store under searching on the same screen.
I can't find Settings. That's why I don't use the app. Would you point me to it?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I can't find Settings. That's why I don't use the app. Would you point me to it?
Look for this app icon on the home screens, it is Settings. In iOS and iPadOS Settings for individual apps are sometimes accomplished through the Settings app rather than the app you want to change settings in, and sometimes in both the Settings app and the app in which you want to change settings. A bit confusing for sure. Partly because of the name "Settings" or "settings". The iOS/iPadOS Settings app is often just called "Settings" and individual apps often have their own "settings" features internally.

So press the iOS/iPadOS Settings app icon, then scroll down to the Books app option and press it, then select whatever options you need therein.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-30-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I agree, the separate "app settings" seems very un-Apple like to me. It's not discoverable at all. And even I forget to go looking for them rather than whatever settings INSIDE the app I'm using offers.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Look for this app icon on the home screens, it is Settings. In iOS and iPadOS Settings for individual apps are sometimes accomplished through the Settings app rather than the app you want to change settings in, and sometimes in both the Settings app and the app in which you want to change settings. A bit confusing for sure. Partly because of the name "Settings" or "settings". The iOS/iPadOS Settings app is often just called "Settings" and individual apps often have their own "settings" features internally.

So press the iOS/iPadOS Settings app icon, then scroll down to the Books app option and press it, then select whatever options you need therein.
Wow, never occurred to me! Thanks so much!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I agree, the separate "app settings" seems very un-Apple like to me. It's not discoverable at all. And even I forget to go looking for them rather than whatever settings INSIDE the app I'm using offers.
I really don't know what they are trying to do with that. It could be one group is trying to get app makers to move all settings to the main settings tab, or perhaps they tried it, found it didn't really flow well and are still trying to figure it out. I've gotten in the habit of looking in the settings for the various apps that I use on a regular basis.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
iBooks is now called Books app. Hopefully the use of forcing Dark mode at night whether you have chosen Dark mode or Light mode in Settings is a bug. You can set Dark or Light mode in Settings —> Display & Brightness in iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1. It seems to have no effect on Books app at night even if you chose Light mode because you still have books displayed in Dark mode. Hopefully Apple will fix this.

Sorry but I rarely use the Books app so I cannot help with your other questions.
Its just the Book app. Turns black at night and its driving me just crazy
Old 09-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Open the book. In the text formatting box turn off "Auto-Night Theme"
its not the book its the app background and library that black
Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard

None of the above work
Old 10-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
None of the above work
Please post a screen capture we can look at then. These solutions have worked for us, but perhaps we are not fully understanding what issue you are encountering.

Meanwhile, in using the solution in cgsmom's post, did you make sure to select a color other than black when selecting the Book's Auto-Night Theme option. If you select any color, including whit, it should use that when the option is toggled on, therefore overriding any other settings. (I think...) See screen capture attached.

ETA: Auto-Night Theme option only applies to the book being read, not the entire Book app interface. Dark Mode applies to the Book app interface and the whole iOS iPadOS interface but can be overridden inside the Book app for books, but not PDFs. So you can actually have a Dark Book app interface with white book pages. If you want white for the Book app interface and for the book pages then you need to Turn Dark Mode off in the iOS/iPadOS Settings app and make sure to either turn off Auto-Night Theme within the Book app or at least set it too white pages. Apple made this über complicated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-books-auto-night-theme-white.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	173864   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-books-auto-night-theme-beige.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	173865   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-books-auto-night-theme-grey.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	173866   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-books-auto-night-theme-black.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	173867  

Last edited by OtinG; 10-01-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Please post a screen capture we can look at then. These solutions have worked for us, but perhaps we are not fully understanding what issue you are encountering.

Meanwhile, in using the solution in cgsmom's post, did you make sure to select a color other than black when selecting the Book's Auto-Night Theme option. If you select any color, including whit, it should use that when the option is toggled on, therefore overriding any other settings. (I think...) See screen capture attached.

ETA: Auto-Night Theme option only applies to the book being read, not the entire Book app interface. Dark Mode applies to the Book app interface and the whole iOS iPadOS interface but can be overridden inside the Book app for books, but not PDFs. So you can actually have a Dark Book app interface with white book pages. If you want white for the Book app interface and for the book pages then you need to Turn Dark Mode off in the iOS/iPadOS Settings app and make sure to either turn off Auto-Night Theme within the Book app or at least set it too white pages. Apple made this über complicated.

I would boil it down to:
1) app interface mirrors the Display & Brightness APPEARANCE setting
2) book Theme is independent of this: if Auto-Night theme is on, then it will switch to Black theme when night falls, and back to the selected ‘daytime’ theme (White, Beige, or Grey) for daylight hours. If Auto-Night theme is off, then theme stays put regardless of time of day.

Of course if you work graveyard shift then you are out of luck, and have to switch both Mode and Theme manually.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #15
HLS
Wizard

Quote:

Just forget it.

I should not need to screenshot for everyone that has ibooks will have the same thing happen. what is hysterical I was asking help on 2 issues and the first one mentioned in my post was completely ignored