Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #91
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
fire tablet web browsing is fine once you sideload s google store and chrome browser.
for me, that then syncs to my PC chrome bookmarks - very useful

the reason I am skeptical about RAM is that I have had several 2Gb tablets and never had one " run out" of RAM or complain. IF ever I check, there is always plenty un-used
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #92
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
fire tablet web browsing is fine once you sideload s google store and chrome browser.
for me, that then syncs to my PC chrome bookmarks - very useful

the reason I am skeptical about RAM is that I have had several 2Gb tablets and never had one " run out" of RAM or complain. IF ever I check, there is always plenty un-used
My experience has been the opposite. When I have multiple apps open especially web browsers with multiple tabs, memory use has gone well over 2GB. The tablet is a Lenovo M10 Plus with Android 9.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #93
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
that's not really a far comparison- you are pitting a 2017 model against a 2020, but for fire tablets, each yearly new gen has added incremental performance improvements
I postulate the a 2020 HD8 will be just as fast as a 2020 HD8plus ( all the plus adds is wireless charging, a bit more RAM, maybe one other thing - but its same CPU , same GPU, same screen, same Fire OS. I cant see how you can get a significant speed increase out of that
I can only compare the devices I have, and the question had to do with how it would compare with 2016 HD8, which I don’t have. So the 2017 may give some notion of this as it is slower than current and presumably faster than the 2016.

The RAM boost should make some difference that is measurable, whether it is significant or noticeable depends on the use case.

For me wireless charging alone was worth the extra cost (I think only $10-15 because I bought during recent 30% off sale).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote