Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #46
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Not sure where to notify about this, but when Calibre is opened a message is displayed advising the iOS reader plugin needs to be installed.

The problem is that the two links provided go to old (closed) forums.

Somebody might want to update this.

http://1drv.ms/1oti9G2

Last edited by Wyndham; 10-22-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Trying to get the screenshot to display
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #47
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Please subscribe to the github issue as per this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=212

Your problem is https://github.com/Philantrop/calibr...ons/issues/136
Just to let you know I have rebuilt the latest libimobiledevice from source and it is not working. Please see the my comments at https://github.com/Philantrop/calibr...ons/issues/136 (Polyfun).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 04:20 AM   #48
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
Not sure where to notify about this, but when Calibre is opened a message is displayed advising the iOS reader plugin needs to be installed.

The problem is that the two links provided go to old (closed) forums.

Somebody might want to update this.

http://1drv.ms/1oti9G2
I am getting the exact same message but I'm not on Windows. I am on a mac (10.6.8) running Calibre 1.48

I've tried it a number of times. Somehow the iOS reader plugin seems to be getting deleted/corrupted (??).

My device is a (brand new!) ipod touch running iOS8.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #49
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I am getting the exact same message but I'm not on Windows. I am on a mac (10.6.8) running Calibre 1.48

I've tried it a number of times. Somehow the iOS reader plugin seems to be getting deleted/corrupted (??).

My device is a (brand new!) ipod touch running iOS8.
Just as a data point. I tried with an older iPad that hasn't been upgraded to iOS 8 yet. I got the same error that I get with my newer iPads that have been upgraded to iOS 8.1. Since the Marvin XD plugin hasn't been upgraded since Sept 2nd and was working until recently, I would say that the issue is in the iOS reader applications plugin, which was upgraded on Oct 3rd.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #50
hihu
hihu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
[GUI Plugin] Marvin XD

Hello

I'm new to this forum. I would like to use calibre to sync e books with the Marvin app on my iPad.

So I installed iOS reader and Marvin XD also running the calibre server.

I can connect over wifi in safari when I type the ip of my computer.
But when I start Marvin and trying to use the calibre funktion there is always the message "connecting" but does not find it. What can I try.

Using calibre on openSUSE 12.3 and using Marvin free edition on iPad Air.

Thanks in advance
hihu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #51
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihu View Post
Hello

I'm new to this forum. I would like to use calibre to sync e books with the Marvin app on my iPad.

But when I start Marvin and trying to use the calibre funktion there is always the message "connecting" but does not find it. What can I try.

Thanks in advance
Do you go into preferences and turn on the calibre web server?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Hello

Thanks in advance
Are you trying to connect as a wireless device using the calibre plugin? Accessing the content server is something totally different -- and FYI does not require or make use of the plugin.

The plugin for connecting as a device does not work over WiFi, you must plug your iDevice into the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Do you go into preferences and turn on the calibre web server?
No need to go to preferences it is in the connect/share toolbar dropdown.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #53
hihu

[GUI Plugin] Marvin XD

Thank you very much for your replies.
As it seems I misunderstood something here.
I thought that I can use the Marvin app to sync my books over wifi so to use the calibre server.

But as you say you have to connect the iPad to the computer. But I think there is no kernel module for Apple devices on Linux.

Otherwise I can just upload those books on my owncloud account and the import them into iBooks or Marvin.

But would you recommend the Marvin reader. Is it better than iBooks?

I will drop an email to the developer of Marvin maybe he can add this functionality.

So now I think I know how this works. You have to choose OPTS not calibre. There you can search for calibre server over wifi.
Little bit confusing for first time users.
I will try it when I am at home.

Last edited by hihu; 10-30-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thank you very much for your replies.
As it seems I misunderstood something here.
I thought that I can use the Marvin app to sync my books over wifi so to use the calibre server.

But as you say you have to connect the iPad to the computer. But I think there is no kernel module for Apple devices on Linux.
I don't really keep up to date on Apple things, I don't have one.... Are you saying libimobiledevice is still broken?

Quote:
Otherwise I can just upload those books on my owncloud account and the import them into iBooks or Marvin.

But would you recommend the Marvin reader. Is it better than iBooks?
As you discovered, there is also the content server.

Yes, Marvin is supposed to be vastly superior. And not just because of calibre integration.

[/QUOTE]I will drop an email to the developer of Marvin maybe he can add this functionality.

So now I think I know how this works. You have to choose OPTS not calibre. There you can search for calibre server over wifi.
Little bit confusing for first time users.
I will try it when I am at home.[/QUOTE]

You got it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #55
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please note that I have now posted fixed Windows libraries (for ios8 + Windows + Calibre) to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...65#post2964265.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #56
ShellShock
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark G. Flipper View Post
I tried a backup/restore operation using Marvin XD, but the restore failed with the following error:
"AttributeError:'tuple object has no attribute 'toUtf8'
I have a screenshot. Can I send it somewhere? It contains a little more information, but not much.
Yes, I am getting this too.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 2.8.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'tuple' object has no attribute 'toUtf8'

calibre 2.8 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && iOS reader applications && Open With && Marvin XD && Modify ePub
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 2335, in restore_from_backup
AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'toUtf8'
Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #57
hihu

Thanks for you replies. I got it working now. tHX
Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #58
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
A notable troubleshooting step that may be required for people that wish to attach Marvin and Calibre to each other – Calibre isn't smart enough to know what device it is supposed to be talking to for some reason, so if you have one or more iOS devices that are chiming in to iTunes on a Computer on your network due to their use of WiFi Sync being active?

That's gotta go away before Calibre can reliably do anything with Marvin or anything else that talks to iTunes for that matter. Attach all those devices with a cable and uncheck the Use WiFi Sync, because Calibre only kicks it oldschool and can only do it one at a time.

Next, if you still happen to get problems with attaching one device and activating Calibre mode in Marvin, it's probably because libimobiledevice is still hip to the fact that you've got all these other devices kicking around. You know that message you get the first time you attach asking you if you trust that computer? It shoves some data about that device into a Lockdown folder and libimobiledevice continues to know what devices it has permission to chat with even if you've disabled the WiFi sync to iTunes.

So your next step is your lockdown folder; on OS X that folder is in `/var/db/lockdown` and contains an index file and `plist` files for each device your computer knows about.

The files with reallylongnamesandnumbersandsutffwithanextensionof .plist contain information about your devices like certificates, escrow bags, HostID records and other unique identifiers. If you want to ensure there is no potential for crossover that gets Calibre to fixate on the wrong device for some reason, remove those files but leave `SystemConfiguration.plist` (I don't think it's interfering as it contains the base ID of the workstation itself and little more to be gleaned from it and other stuff like iTunes may want it to be there.)

Once you do all that and plugin your iOS device and tell it that you totally trust the computer you just hooked it up to, you can check on it in iTunes and what-have-you but then feel free to close iTunes and switch to Calibre from a freshly-run state and tell Marvin to connect to Calibre and if all goes according to plan the gates will open and reliable communication will be restored between these two parties.

I concur with the assessment and comments that this is hard to troubleshoot -- that sentiment is shared with me. Personally I'm of the opinion that the weakest link here is really Calibre but I am not suggesting there is anything I'd use that I like any better. Honestly if it weren't for purchases in Apple Bookstore et al being linked to App Store/AppleID rather than end-user iCloud accounts I wouldn't have even gone on this expedition though I'm happy with Marvin most times to not let Calibre's hackish approach to things get in the way of reading more books.

Hope this helps someone having similar difficulties with getting reliable connections to persist on their iOS devices.
incumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #59
ShellShock
Wizard

To be more precise, the "weakest link" as you put it, is probably the IOSRA plugin, not Calibre. I am sure any contributions to improving the plugin will be most welcome.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Getting calibre to talk to an iOS device is in dancing bear territory (i.e. the wonder is not how well the bear dances, but that it dances at all). It took a lot of digging and creative talent to pull it off. I'm just thankful that some talented people took up the change and pulled it off.