Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #3496
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Currently listening to The Long and the Short of It by Jodi Taylor. All the shorts from The Chronicles of St Mary's with some discussion about how the story came about. Narrated by Zara Ramm who narrates the rest of the series.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 06:55 PM   #3497
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm listening to The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy, read by Samuel West. Which is quite good, both book and narration. A relief, as my last Hardy was the dreadful Two on a Tower. I'll be quitting Audible in a couple of weeks when my promotion runs out, so I thought I should squeeze in another Plus title or two.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2023, 02:07 PM   #3498
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wodehouse's Cocktail Time read by Jonathan Cecil, which is of course sheer joy. I think Uncle Fred is my favorite of all the Wodehouse protagonists -- admittedly, the relative paucity of his outings probably adds to his appeal.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:03 PM   #3499
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to the latest Bruno, Chief of Police novel set in the Périgord, A Castle Under Siege, excellently read by Robert Ian Mackenzie. An excellent book, as always, and somehow the Scottish burr of Mackenzie works really well here.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 04:29 AM   #3500
MOREAWESOMETHANU
MOREAWESOMETHANU began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow I have not posted here in a while but anyway
I have taken on the longest job in the history of books
To read and cross reference every book that was in Dark Tower by Stephen King (This is my favorite book) *movie Dark Tower on netflix*
Which leads my to Tolkien. and this guy is no small eating so I just finished up

The Silmarillion- I liked this (Series Ring of Power on HBOMAX)
Children of Huren
My next one is Beren and Lúthien

I am going in order
MOREAWESOMETHANU is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #3501
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOREAWESOMETHANU View Post
To read and cross reference every book that was in Dark Tower by Stephen King (This is my favorite book) *movie Dark Tower on netflix*
I'd really like to see the result when you're finished if you're planning on sharing it?

The Dark Tower series in my favourite of King's work. I've recently transferred the series back to my ereader to reread after the next couple of sci-fi novels in my queue. I wasn't a fan of the movie adaption of TDT however.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 08:09 AM   #3502
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm doing a re-listen of PD James' Dalgleish novels. I've been doing a lot of drab things at work and they are nice as i know the stories and Davinia Porter has a nice, comforting voice.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:11 PM   #3503
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Listening to The Art of Destiny -- number two in Wesley Chu's "The War Arts Saga". I don't read too many series any more, but Wes is an exception. He never seems to get carried away with them. I'm beginning to think I've found an author whose attention span is shorter than mine! He also has a knack for amusing the hell out of me (and writes a pretty mean fight scene).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:25 AM   #3504
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Listening to The Art of Destiny -- number two in Wesley Chu's "The War Arts Saga". I don't read too many series any more, but Wes is an exception. He never seems to get carried away with them. I'm beginning to think I've found an author whose attention span is shorter than mine! He also has a knack for amusing the hell out of me (and writes a pretty mean fight scene).
Not an author I've read. If you were to pick one book to try him out with, what would it be?
Old 10-17-2023, 05:11 AM   #3505
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not an author I've read. If you were to pick one book to try him out with, what would it be?
I'd say The Lives of Tao. I read that one, rather than listened to the Audiobook, so I can't vouch for the narrator.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:32 PM   #3506
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Picked The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, read by Nadia May, as a quickie interim listen from Audible Plus as I figure out my next real engagement. I read this decades ago and while I suspect I liked it then, my reaction now is that over a hundred years on, it hasn't aged all that well. But it's relaxing to listen to May, in my top three narrator pantheon; it's been a while.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:26 AM   #3507
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Picked The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, read by Nadia May, as a quickie interim listen from Audible Plus as I figure out my next real engagement. I read this decades ago and while I suspect I liked it then, my reaction now is that over a hundred years on, it hasn't aged all that well. But it's relaxing to listen to May, in my top three narrator pantheon; it's been a while.
I read it in one sitting when my mother had her stroke years ago. I really liked it, but will always associate it with an ICU waiting room. I suspect it would make an excellent play.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 12:18 AM   #3508
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Nadia May (or Donada Peters as I first heard her, and real name Wanda McCaddon) is still my absolute favourite narrator. No muss, and definitely no fuss, just a well read story.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:55 PM   #3509
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Nadia May (or Donada Peters as I first heard her, and real name Wanda McCaddon) is still my absolute favourite narrator. No muss, and definitely no fuss, just a well read story.
I wish she hadn't mispronounced Henry Purcell's name, but even the gods slip up.

Still don't know what I feel like taking on, so another quickie from Plus, Maugham's Cakes and Ale read by Neil Hunt, who is new to me and is fine.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:09 AM   #3510
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I wish she hadn't mispronounced Henry Purcell's name, but even the gods slip up.

Still don't know what I feel like taking on, so another quickie from Plus, Maugham's Cakes and Ale read by Neil Hunt, who is new to me and is fine.
... but who mispronounced Compton Mackenzie's name.

Sigh. I get it; proper names can be tricky and you don't know what you don't know and if the name doesn't present obvious difficulties, you go with it. But I wish the director or producer would catch these errors.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations