Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2023, 07:04 PM   #3481
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That said, it was always obvious to me that while you could "overlook" issues with Huckleberry Finn because it's great literature (which it is), Tom Sawyer is 19th century kidlit by a great author, which is a critical distinction.
I would agree. Even the character of Huck in Tom Sawyer is a bit of a caricature compared to the same character in Huckleberry Finn. The latter dealt with much darker themes (for much longer stretches) than the former. Which made all of the comments about "sappy women" and "n****rs" in Tom Sawyer seem way more cavalier to me. However... I freely admit that hearing Offerman (a favorite of mine) say these things could have a lot to do with my cringing at times.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-03-2023 at 07:11 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:40 AM   #3482
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Listening to All Creatures Great and Small by James Harriot and read by Christopher Timothy. Read the books, saw the series, now for the audiobook. Good so far - chapter 10. One of my favorite books.
A good book. I've got the Nicholas Ralph narration, but the Timothy version is quite good as well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2023, 11:55 AM   #3483
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am reading nothing. August was the second (nonconsecutive) month of no reading this year. Library books on hold become available, and I keep postponing them or, in some cases, reconsidering and removing the hold.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 02:32 PM   #3484
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Just finished Mythos, Heroes and Troy by Stephen Fry, read by him. Can't wait till he does the Odyssey (not even sure if he's working on it, I just hope so!).

Last edited by Sweetpea; 09-05-2023 at 02:38 PM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:56 AM   #3485
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm listening to the Kimberly Farr's EXCELLENT reading of Elizabeth Strout's Olive Kitteridge.
I finished this, and really enjoyed it. I'm now listening to the newer translation of Death in Venice, read by the lovely Simon Callow, to see if I like it better now. I had a good experience with Mann's Magic Mountain in the spring, so I'm giving this one another shot.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2023, 07:14 PM   #3486
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I hear you.

My summer pool listens also have been a lot of drek. It’s been virtually all mysteries for me this summer and the Mrs. Pollifax and Ellery Queen books were terrible; the Nero Wolfe books were fine, overall, but it was a low bar.
I forgot to mention another pool mystery listen, the Rabbi Small books, which were also terrible as they wound down. Just one observation: it’s the mid-90s and it’s as if second wave feminism hadn’t happened. Ugh.

Quote:
I’m also listening to The Way We Live Now, Trollope’s longest novel. Unfortunately, it’s yet another in a dud summer. I’d been keeping it in reserve; once I’d finished his two six-novel sequences, I’ve found Trollope’s novels to be more hit or miss, but many think The Way We Live Now is his masterwork. Alas! It’s certainly good enough, but where’s the wit? And too many plot dead ends. No wonder it’s his longest….. Don’t get me wrong; I still love him. But this is a letdown.
I’m glad to say that this has gotten much, much better. If the early dead ends had been edited down or out, this would be a five-star listen; it’s still going to get four stars.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:33 PM   #3487
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm listening to Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyb Muir. I'm 37% done so far.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #3488
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm been listening to the Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker. They have both been keeping my interest during car rides, and putting me to sleep at bedtime. As long as those two effects don't get mixed up, I'll keep listening.
They are comfortably short, and while I've certainly liked some stories (and some narrators) better than others, the neo-noir tone has been consistently enjoyable.
One thing I really like with the Spencer books is that I know most of the the places he goes in Massachusetts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #3489
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

“Spenser like the poet.”
Old 09-25-2023, 05:34 PM   #3490
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I picked up Nick Jones' "And Then She Vanished" (a freebie from Audible Plus to hold me over between credits). I knew absolutely nothing about it. Turned out to be a fun time travel adventure. Nothing mind blowing, but relatively engaging (especially if you're a sucker for all the paradoxes, snake-eating-its-own-tail, brain-hurting nonsense that time travelling tales bring to the table). It's apparently the first book in his Joseph Bridgeman series. I think the books and the series had different names in the UK.

I liked it well enough, but maybe not enough to jump right into the next book--especially now that my shiny new credit has arrived! I mention it in case someone is ever looking for some 'tweener material.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:40 AM   #3491
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I started listening to Why We Love Baseball by Joe Posnanski last night. I'm not going to like it as much as his Baseball 100; it's a little too quirky, but I expect it'll get more interesting as he starts to hit the major moments. And it's perfect for something to listen to in bed.

I recently finished Balzac's Eugénie Grandet from the Plus catalogue. I was underwhelmed; Balzac's not the master of subtlety and the narrator, Jonathan Fried, is one of those who over-emotes. At least is was short, unlike some of the 19th century doorstops I've listened to lately.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:03 AM   #3492
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I started listening to Why We Love Baseball by Joe Posnanski last night. I'm not going to like it as much as his Baseball 100; it's a little too quirky, but I expect it'll get more interesting as he starts to hit the major moments. And it's perfect for something to listen to in bed.
I'm going to abandon this. I think it would be a better read, especially if I owned it and could skip around and pick it up at odd moments. As it is, going straight through by listening, I'm having to wade through too many events of very limited interest. I may FF to the top ten. Or top five.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:48 PM   #3493
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I'm going to abandon this. I think it would be a better read, especially if I owned it and could skip around and pick it up at odd moments. As it is, going straight through by listening, I'm having to wade through too many events of very limited interest. I may FF to the top ten. Or top five.
Yeah, some books just don't lend themselves to audio books. Mostly like this one where you want to dip in and out. Perhaps get the eBook version??
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:09 PM   #3494
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yeah, some books just don't lend themselves to audio books. Mostly like this one where you want to dip in and out. Perhaps get the eBook version??
I'm too cheap -- alternatively, I don't want to read it enough. One of my OverDrive libraries had the audiobook; none had the ebook. Which is not to say that one of them might not acquire it. In any case, it's obvious to me that at best I won't like it nearly as much as his earlier book.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:10 PM   #3495
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hah! Thanks. This post made me check my libraries again and now I'm on the waitlist and have let the audiobook go to the next in line.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations