Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
medea111
medea111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Metadata plugboard no longer working for series on converted books

I have a metadata plugboard set up to do two things:
  1. Add the series title and number to a title.
  2. Add a fandom name to fanfic if the custom column "fanfic" has info.

It looks like this:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}
{#fandom:||: }{title}

When I purchase a book from Amazon, I convert it from AZW3 to MOBI, which removes the DRM, then send it to the Kindle. The plugboard no longer updates the titles of those files. Files that were not purchased from Amazon update correctly.

I don't think I've changed anything that should create a problem. It's possible the issue started with a Calibre version upgrade, though I have no idea. I have updated to the most current version.

I've been through previous threads to try and troubleshoot with no luck. The format is MOBI, and all of my files are MOBI. The device is KINDLE2, and the device currently connected is KINDLE2. I tried converting a file back to AZW3 and adding that to the device: no luck. I tried removing it entirely from Calibre, downloading it from Amazon again, and converting it to MOBI again: no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by medea111; 12-28-2018 at 12:16 PM.
medea111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How are you transferring books to the Kindle? (I think the plugboard only works with Send To Device )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
medea111

I am using Send to Device. I sideload everything onto the Kindle from Calibre.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW if you have the magic plugin from Alf, you just ADD the book to Calibre.
Going to Mobi removes/changes formatting. Once removed, it does not magically appear when going back.
AZW3 is so much better to start.

In the plugboard, set it to ALL (assumes you don't have other, non-Kindle devices)
formats.
{Title} IS the destination ????
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
medea111

Destination field is "title" for both lines.

Next to Edit existing plugboard, under Format, I can choose MOBI or a blank line. Or do you mean I should Add a new plugboard and start from scratch?

Thanks for your help. I know just enough to get myself in trouble, as you can see.
Advert
Old 12-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by medea111 View Post
Destination field is "title" for both lines.
That is probably the problem. Only one of them will actually do something. And it sounds like the second one listed is the one that is working.

You could try:

Code:
{#fandom:||: }{series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}
That would give you the fandom and series if the book has both, or just one, or just the title if the it has neither.
Quote:
Next to Edit existing plugboard, under Format, I can choose MOBI or a blank line. Or do you mean I should Add a new plugboard and start from scratch?
For the format, you can choose a specific format if you want something different for each format. Or choose "any format" if you want to use the same thing for all books. If you have both, the specific format will be used. There is a similar choice for the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

For the format, you can choose a specific format if you want something different for each format. Or choose "any format" if you want to use the same thing for all books. If you have both, the specific format will be used. There is a similar choice for the device.
Actually you cannot change either format or device for an existing plugboard. The editing box offers only the already selected option or a blank line. You have to create a new plugboard to have the full selection of options.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
medea111

Thank you, the combined one seems to work. I am pretty sure that having two separate entries did work for a while, but maybe it only worked if I was loading only fanfic or a series, not both? I'm also pretty sure that it was working for non-Amazon downloads, but regardless, it seems to be fixed.

Thanks for your help.