Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Mekk
Mekk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600
Unhappy calibredb list --output-format=xml no longer supported

As in the title, calibre 0.7 seems to have dropped --output-format (which I use in http://blog.mekk.waw.pl/archives/36-...-detector.html and some other scripts).

I can live without it, but I find it a bit troublesome that this change is neither mentioned, nor explained in changelog.

Was it done on purpose, or is it a mistake? Are there other changes in calibredb commands?
Mekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
From the GUI:
  • Click the down arrow to the right of 'Convert E-books', select 'Create catalog of books ...'.
  • Select XML as the Catalog format.
  • In the CSV/XML tab, select the fields you want written to the output file.

From the CLI:G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
From the GUI:
  • Click the down arrow to the right of 'Convert E-books', select 'Create catalog of books ...'.
  • Select XML as the Catalog format.
  • In the CSV/XML tab, select the fields you want written to the output file.

From the CLI:G
Being ignorant in this area, I'm curious. When you pointed to the CLI details in the user manual were you pointing to a new way to do what he wants to do?

Some day I may try to expand my knowledge in these areas so I am curious is calibredb catalog vice calibredb list the way to now output the list he is looking for?

Thanks in advance.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes

calibredb catalog out.xml
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Mekk

I switched my scripts from list to catalog, it works, thank you.

Still I think it would make sense to mention such a change in release notes. Sentence like "--output-format parameter of list command is no longer supported, use catalog command instead" would perfectly do and save some time and doubts.

PS Once more thank you for calibre, great tool :-)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #6
Mekk

One small problem: in case catalog is given search params which no book satisfy, it fails (returns error exit code, prints error message). It makes scripting around this command somewhat troublesome (either I must ignore all calibredb errors, or fail in correct situations when simply nothing is found, or capture standard error and regexp it to detect this very case).

Is it a deliberate decision? What would be wrong in creating empty catalog?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mekk: Patch submitted to Kovid to output empty XML file instead of returning error. If he approves, will be included in next release.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote