Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
Donnazor
Donnazor began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Thumbs down Calibre 3.37 can't download metadata

Until I upgraded, downloading metadata worked great. Now, i get a message, instantly, failed to download metadata. Please help! Thanks.
(First post - hope I did this correctly)

Details:
calibre, version 3.37.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single_download.py" , line 424, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 224, in fork_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 138, in create_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\launch.py", line 228, in __call__
File "subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 959, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Last edited by Donnazor; 01-05-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: device change. I READ on iPad but Calibre is on PC running Windows 10
Donnazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
your antivirus has quaratined the calibre worker process. Disable, it, re-install calibre and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I can't add books to Calibre, something popped up called calibre parallel is that normal? Just wondering if Calibre has been hijacked.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, it has been there from a lot of time ago. Your Av is blocking it (it happens every time with Avast, not very good learning from Avast side).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
thanks for the avast hint, i had to reinstall too
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Glad to have been useful, I hate the AV at some times.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
LuvMeSomCalibre
LuvMeSomCalibre began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD
I'm having the same issue, but I have AVG. HP Laptop, Windows 10, new.

Re-installed Calibre, rebooted, worked. Today when I opened Calibre, downloaded book to digital editions and tried to transfer file to Calibre, I got the following message again:

calibre, version 3.37.0
ERROR: Cannot add books: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information.

Failed to start worker process
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\pool.py", line 201, in start_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\pool.py", line 189, in create_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\pool.py", line 73, in start_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 167, in start_pipe_worker
File "subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 959, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Uninstalled AVG, rebooted, tried to download book to Calibre from digital editions and I still get the same message. Tried to reinstall Calibre, only options were "change", "repair" and "uninstall". Always loath the uninstall something I love so much - afraid I'm going to lose my library.

Fix on this?
LuvMeSomCalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMeSomCalibre View Post
Uninstalled AVG, rebooted, tried to download book to Calibre from digital editions and I still get the same message. Tried to reinstall Calibre, only options were "change", "repair" and "uninstall". Always loath the uninstall something I love so much - afraid I'm going to lose my library.

Fix on this?
Try the repair option first to see if it replaces the quarantined file(s). If that doesn't work, do the uninstall and re-install. This should not affect your library but, suspenders and belt, create a backup copy of your calibre setup using Export/import all calibre data (found under the library icon) menu item.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre uninstalls are painless.
It leaves behind the User preferences and Libraries (those are only linked in the config files. which is why, we sometimes need a user to delete the corrupt files, which only loses the preferences, not the real Libraries.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
LuvMeSomCalibre
LuvMeSomCalibre began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD
Fix Worked!

Thanks everyone for help! Uninstall worked and problem fixed. Still need to find a security package that won't create problems like this. Never had one until the latest Calibre update, not their fault though.
LuvMeSomCalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks everyone for help! Uninstall worked and problem fixed. Still need to find a security package that won't create problems like this. Never had one until the latest Calibre update, not their fault though.
Try Windows Defender and MalwareBytes Pro, I've not had any destructive malware for decades.

They detect unwanted payload (like McAfee bundled with Acrobat), Defender picked up the Trojan that AVG distributed with CCleaner. They are much less intrusive and I can't recall either them ever blocking programs without my explicit consent.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Still need to find a security package that won't create problems like this.
Linux.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote