Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast
Acousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad, Marvin 3, Mapleread
Custom Column to enter date a book was completed (was read)

Hello Calibre Lovers,
I am trying to create a custom column which would be a date column. I would like to enster a date when I have completed a book. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?
Many thanks in advance.
Acousticvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticvillage View Post
Hello Calibre Lovers,
I am trying to create a custom column which would be a date column. I would like to enster a date when I have completed a book. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?
Many thanks in advance.
If you have MADE a Timestamp column.
In the cell: press F2 That Auto fills NOW into a blank cell

If you need to update an existing then press = That enters 'Now's date and time . You can also click the small arrow and use the calendar form to set the date
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you have MADE a Timestamp column.
In the cell: press F2 That Auto fills NOW into a blank cell

If you need to update an existing then press = That enters 'Now's date and time . You can also click the small arrow and use the calendar form to set the date
Actually the Column Type the Author wants is Date, "timestamp' is the lookup name of the built-in "Date" column.

And if you want to clear a date cell, after pressing F2, press the '-' key. The '-' and '=' keys can also be used in the metadata edit dialogue.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast
Acousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad, Marvin 3, Mapleread
Many thanks to both - and sorry for the late reply in thanking you. I just ended up experimenting. I chose a "Date" column and can just enter a date there. Seems to work.
Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Acousticvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
Sarmat
Enthusiast
Sarmat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have a timestamp Date column.
When I enter this cell - I can use = or - either to add today's date or to clear it.
But
1) when I click on an empty sell (or use F2) it autofills it with 01.1.0101 - is it ok?
wouldn't it be better to autofill it with today's date?
and
2) calibre uses this column for the date when book was added to the library (not the date when I have completed the book)
can I convince calibre not to put any date there after adding the book?
Sarmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat View Post
I have a timestamp Date column.
When I enter this cell - I can use = or - either to add today's date or to clear it.
But

2) calibre uses this column for the date when book was added to the library (not the date when I have completed the book)
can I convince calibre not to put any date there after adding the book?
2) NO!!! That column belongs to CALIBRE.
Simply make your own CUSTOM COLUMN: <date type>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Sarmat - create a custom column of type Date, #read_date/Read Date, then when you F2 on an empty Read Date cell it will autofill it with current date (and time).

When a book is first created, Calibre sets the builtin date/Date column to the current date (and time). As far as I know calibre makes no further use of the column, and given that it's an editable column (unlike last_modified/Modified) it is legitimate to repurpose it. However, as you've noticed if it's cleared, a subsequent F2 will autofill it with the date (and time) that calibre/python regard as the beginning of time - 1st of January CE 101.

I've used the date/Date column as my 'Read Date' ever since I started to use calibre in March 2012 - I use F2 '-' when I add a book, and F2 '=' when I've read it. I have no reason to want a date added column. If I wanted it, the create data on the book folder would be good enough for me - but that's only available on Windows file systems.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-08-2018 at 05:14 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote