Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 05:09 AM   #2671
grant3
grant3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
These instructions are really confusing me.

1. My Kindle Voyage doesn't have an "Update Your Kindle" option as described
2. I do have KUAL + MRPI installed, but the link doesn't explain how to use it to install the screen saver hack
3. What is the point of the Python file? Do I need that when I just want custom screensavers?
Ok I finally dug up what had to happen:
  1. put Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin in the kindle root directory
  2. This enables the "update kindle" menu option. Use to install the hotfix
  3. put the "booklet" version of Kual (Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin) in the mrpackages directory on the kindle
  4. type ";log mrpi" into the kindle's search bar to install the booklet version of kual
  5. use the newly-visible kual book on my kindle to install the Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt 3.bin
grant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #2672
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And if that does not work on your device / firmware version combination:
6. Follow the directions in this thread to replace just the KUALbooklet.jar file and report the results there:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #2673
grant3
grant3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
My python install seems frozen for about an hour:

Code:
* python 0.14.N I WARIO+ *
 Running install.sh . . .
    Progress: 50/100
Am I just impatient?

Can I reset the kindle by long-pressing the power button and trying again?

Edit:

Went ahead with a hard reset, and had a few failed attempts to install.

I figured out the MrPi log files, and apparently kindle was saying a .zx archive inside the .bin was corrupted.

So I downloaded the latest python from Nijules snapshot page and that one worked.

Last edited by grant3; 02-16-2018 at 12:38 AM.
grant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #2674
kiliimanjaro
kiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enough

Device: PW1
I'm on a Kindle PW1, software version 5.6.1.1.

I downgraded last night to 5.4.4 to jailbreak. I installed KUAL and MRPI with no issues and then updated my kindle back to 5.6.1.1 with no problems. I then Installed the N-r14393 screensaver plugin and it worked fine.

Problem is when I added a couple more screensavers this morning and turned the kindle off it just displays the last screen upon lock, not any screensaver.

I haven't changed anything between then and now so im not sure why this has happened.

any ideas?
kiliimanjaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #2675
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please define: "worked fine"
Specifically in contrast with what it is doing now.

What part of the first post's trouble shooting have you done?
With what results at each step?

(I don't use this add-in, so you have to walk me through all of the details)
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #2676
kiliimanjaro
kiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please define: "worked fine"
Specifically in contrast with what it is doing now.

What part of the first post's trouble shooting have you done?
With what results at each step?

(I don't use this add-in, so you have to walk me through all of the details)
By worked fine I mean worked as intended. My Kindle was displaying my custom screensavers as it supposed to do. What it is doing now is not showing my custom screensavers but instead showing the last screen that the kindle was displaying before putting it to sleep. The only thing I have done between it working and not working was add a couple more images to the screensavers folder (10 images total).

I have went through the troubleshooting and for the issue I am having and it seems that It happens if my images aren't of the correct dimensions, which they are so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Edit*
I uninstalled the screensaver plugin and reinstalled it via KUAL and it seems to be working again, but I suspect that it will happen again.

Last edited by kiliimanjaro; 02-16-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #2677
knc1
Going Viral

Did you re-install both the screen saver add-in and the python add-in ?
Did you use the ones posted in NiLuJe's snapshot thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Your description sounds like an answer of "no" to one or both of the above questions.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #2678
kiliimanjaro

Quote:
Did you re-install both the screen saver add-in and the python add-in ?
Did you use the ones posted in NiLuJe's snapshot thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Your description sounds like an answer of "no" to one or both of the above questions.
Actually my answer is 'yes' to both of those questions.

Thanks though.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #2679
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliimanjaro View Post
Actually my answer is 'yes' to both of those questions.

Thanks though.
Then it is something specific to your Kindle and the add-ins.
What book types?
Did you re-install the kfx fix?
(I don't think that fix made it into the most recent builds. I seem to recall NiLuJe mentioning that last winter.)

There are a lot of PW-1 devices out there, 5.6.1.1 has been in use for a long time and we have not been swamped with similar failure reports.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #2680
kiliimanjaro

Quote:
Then it is something specific to your Kindle and the add-ins.
What book types?
Did you re-install the kfx fix?
(I don't think that fix made it into the most recent builds. I seem to recall NiLuJe mentioning that last winter.)

There are a lot of PW-1 devices out there, 5.6.1.1 has been in use for a long time and we have not been swamped with similar failure reports.
The only plugins I have on my device are KUAL, MRPI and the screensaver one.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by book types and the kfx fix? The only books I use are from the amazon store or borrowed through libby via amazon. I don't side load any books. If you are referring to the format then they will be whatever the standard is for kindle these days.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #2681
knc1
Going Viral

On the index page of this forum -
On the index line for this thread -
Right end of the center column -
Little blue box "attachments" -
Click it.
From the list given, download kfxmeta.zip -
Install by un-zipping to topmost, visible level of usb storage -
being certain that your un-zip tool is set to create directory levels in the archive and not to change the line endings.

You could also search this thread for "kfxmeta" or other likely terms to find the directions.
(I only write this stuff, finding it after I post it is not part of my job description. )
Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #2682
Scootz
Love Python, and Docker.
Scootz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard 3w (B008), kindle paperwhite 2 (90D4)
For the love of Python language (THIS IS MY GOAL!)... having a problem with the install...

I just went through my first jailbreak (so yes, n00b, but well-versed in Linux and Python). Using a Kindle Keyboard (k3w, B008). Installed so far: KUAL, mrpackages, screensavers (linkss). Running "Version 3.4.2".

My problem: Python won't install. mrpackages finds it, restarts, but afterwards there's no Python (just files /mnt/us/mrpackages/._Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_ kt3.bin and /mnt/base-us/mrpackages/._Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_ kt3.bin
).

Q: This thread references FW 5.4. Is that REQUIRED to install+run Python? (Currently, I block any update, have done a "mkdir /update.bin.tmp.partial", since I'm terribly afraid of breaking something)

RELATED:

Q: If I absolutely must upgrade the firmware to get Python, do I just pretend I haven't rooted and allow the Kindle to update itself? Nothing special to do besides rm'ing /update.bin.tmp.partial? Will a FW upgrade "break" anything, including the jailbreak?

Q: Will things be complicated by the fact I can not mount this kindle as a USB MS device? Sometime after the jailbreak, that stopped working. (Don't care too much about USB MS, since sshfs works, but if it's a quick fix...)

Apologies for all the questions. I have great respect for what this community has done, and I value your time. I spent ~ 12 hours this weekend reading the forum and other websites looking for answers on my own.
Scootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #2683
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootz View Post
For the love of Python language (THIS IS MY GOAL!)... having a problem with the install...

I just went through my first jailbreak (so yes, n00b, but well-versed in Linux and Python). Using a Kindle Keyboard (k3w, B008). Installed so far: KUAL, mrpackages, screensavers (linkss). Running "Version 3.4.2".
Shouldn't you be asking in this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004

Anyway, USB networking is toggled on/off by searching for:
;un

Toggling USBnet off enables USB mass storage.

It is usually possible to download specific firmware versions from amazon. You might need to teake the URL for a specific version.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #2684
Scootz
Love Python, and Docker.
Scootz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard 3w (B008), kindle paperwhite 2 (90D4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Shouldn't you be asking in this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004

Anyway, USB networking is toggled on/off by searching for:
;un

Toggling USBnet off enables USB mass storage.

It is usually possible to download specific firmware versions from amazon. You might need to teake the URL for a specific version.

YES, thanks! In error, I mistook this "latest" thread as being the correct place. I do see the kindle-python for kw3 under your link, and will continue my adventures there.
Scootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #2685
XXCoder
Enthusiast
XXCoder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliimanjaro View Post
By worked fine I mean worked as intended. My Kindle was displaying my custom screensavers as it supposed to do. What it is doing now is not showing my custom screensavers but instead showing the last screen that the kindle was displaying before putting it to sleep. The only thing I have done between it working and not working was add a couple more images to the screensavers folder (10 images total).

I have went through the troubleshooting and for the issue I am having and it seems that It happens if my images aren't of the correct dimensions, which they are so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Edit*
I uninstalled the screensaver plugin and reinstalled it via KUAL and it seems to be working again, but I suspect that it will happen again.
One or more pictures is bad. You would need to check them. When it happens to me I usually edit and resaves picture and it usually works afterwards.

Once that happens it will always show "last screen" if it hits one of those bad pictures, or in least till you reboot the kindle.

Last edited by XXCoder; 02-26-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: missed detail
XXCoder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch