Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I doubt buying a nook would be a wise purchase. Isn't B&N circling the drain?
They're scaling back their in-store Nook displays at any rate. But some folks like their new Nook Glowlight 3 and, if you want an eReader without a browser, this is the one.

Coincidentally, I bought the first Nook book I've bought from Barnes & Noble in years today. I've pretty much decided that, if I can get it at Barnes & Noble (or Kobo) I'm going to buy it there instead of Amazon. Amazon is convenient, but I want to see more competition. I also loaded the Nook, Kobo and Walmart eBook apps on my Fire (just to see if I could do it). (Not using the Fire for anything anyhow, might as well experiment.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
The Nook Glowlight 3 is a pretty good ereader but without a web browser you will have issues logging into public wifi that needs to direct you to a webpage to log in.

The web browser on a kindle and kobo is kind of useless for anything other than logging into wifi so I doubt the kids will go to unwanted websites. They will get frustrated with it methinks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
They're scaling back their in-store Nook displays at any rate. But some folks like their new Nook Glowlight 3 and, if you want an eReader without a browser, this is the one.

Coincidentally, I bought the first Nook book I've bought from Barnes & Noble in years today. I've pretty much decided that, if I can get it at Barnes & Noble (or Kobo) I'm going to buy it there instead of Amazon. Amazon is convenient, but I want to see more competition. I also loaded the Nook, Kobo and Walmart eBook apps on my Fire (just to see if I could do it). (Not using the Fire for anything anyhow, might as well experiment.)
I like my Glowlight 3 but do not use it much. I think its because i have a ton of kindle books to read. I too want to see more competition so I did purchase a few nook eBooks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
A Nook can do ADE epubs - no need to buy from B&N. Wait until they really go under and grab a Nook at a deep discount.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:45 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Nook does not have a browser. My kindle and my kobo does.
Isn't there a way to get the browser? For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCirynWXnWQ
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #21
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I was asked today by one of my blog readers which ereaders *don’t* feature a built-in web browser. She wants her kids to enjoy ebooks, but not the seedy underbelly of the web. Got any suggestions?

I have a Kindle and Kobo, but can’t shut off the web browsers. Besides, they are helpful when logging into WiFi portals. I use my Kobo to log into Overdrive to get ebooks, too.

It might be easier to just prevent the ereader from accessing the web via MAC address blocking on her router, but maybe somebody out there has other suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone, proving definitively that I’m all thumbs.

http://DouglasCootey.com
I wouldn't worry about the web browser on a Kindle, you can barely use it. They call it experimental for a reason. I think mostly the reason being is that sometimes if you connect to free wifi for downloading a book you need the browser to login. It barely does that. As for any seedy pictures, Kindles don't do pictures well. Avoid the fire tablets as they are for web use.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:10 AM   #22
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Nook does not have a browser. My kindle and my kobo does.
Thanks for letting me know.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:12 AM   #23
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
This is why I'm not rushing over to Facebook to update my message to her. I think Kobo has a better user experience, but Kindle offers the parental controls she is looking for AND it has a healthy ecosystem.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote