Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-25-2016, 01:33 AM   #1
popbop
popbop began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Recover library from dead laptop

I've read the manual on exporting/importing a library. However, in my case, I'm trying to recover a Calibre library and metadata from a laptop that just died. The mobo blew. But, I do have all my data on the old SSD drive, which I can easily connect to my new laptop via an external USB hdd enclosure.

I can access all the old laptop files and Calibre data: eBooks directory, Program Files directory, %user%AppData directory, etc. However, since I did not *export* the library (old laptop mobo blew), I can't just run the Import function.

What's the best method to restore my old library on my new laptop?

Thanks.

Pop
popbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another? help; especially the note

Quote:
Note This import/export functionality is only available from calibre version 2.47 onwards. If you have an older version of calibre, or if you encounter problems with the import/export, you can just copy over your calibre library folder manually, as descibed in the next paragraph.
Simply copy the calibre library folder from the old to the new computer. You can find out what the library folder is by clicking the calibre icon in the toolbar. The very first item is the path to the library folder. Now on the new computer, start calibre for the first time. It will run the Welcome Wizard asking you for the location of the calibre library. Point it to the previously copied folder. If the computer you are transferring to already has a calibre installation, then the Welcome wizard wont run. In that case, right-click the calibre icon in the tooolbar and point it to the newly copied directory. You will now have two calibre libraries on your computer and you can switch between them by clicking the calibre icon on the toolbar. Transferring your library in this manner preserver all your metadata, tags, custom columns, etc.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by popbop View Post
I've read the manual on exporting/importing a library. However, in my case, I'm trying to recover a Calibre library and metadata from a laptop that just died. The mobo blew. But, I do have all my data on the old SSD drive, which I can easily connect to my new laptop via an external USB hdd enclosure.

I can access all the old laptop files and Calibre data: eBooks directory, Program Files directory, %user%AppData directory, etc. However, since I did not *export* the library (old laptop mobo blew), I can't just run the Import function.

What's the best method to restore my old library on my new laptop?
PeterT

Plus - you should also be able to copy the old Users/[you]/Appdata/Roaming/calibre to the same location on the new computer - this will restore global preferences, plugins and customisations etc. This is not 'officially' supported, so if doing this creates any problems just 'uncopy' it

Don't worry about Program Files/Calibre2 - everything in there is as it was from the install. Just install Calibre on the new computer from the downloaded MSI. And there's nothing in the Registry you need worry about - unless you put it there yourself.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
to how to copy

You said, you can access the files
How?
Share? Just don't Run Calibre against a share. Copy to a Local drive, then run

Pop the drive out and put it in a USB caddy for the drive type.
Use as A Calibre Portable (way better speed than a Flash drive) or as spare or backup drive

Just because you install "portable", does not prevent Desktop Calibre from using the Library on Portable
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
to how to copy

You said, you can access the files
How?

Pop the drive out and put it in a USB caddy for the drive type.
Mate - the OP is way ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbop View Post
The mobo blew. But, I do have all my data on the old SSD drive, which I can easily connect to my new laptop via an external USB hdd enclosure.
BR
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Mate - the OP is way ahead of you

BR

<hides under cat>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
popbop
popbop began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks for the replies

@PeterT
@BetterRed

Thanks for the replies and assistance.

At this point I think I'll leave my rather large library on the external SSD and use Calibre portable on my new laptop -- an Asus x205ta, since it only has 32GB internal memory, and I don't want to fill up the inserted 128GB mircrSD with GB full of books. Well, maybe I'll keep a few on the laptop, but the rest on an external drive.

Thanks again!

Pob
popbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@popbob - Calibre Portable anticipates that the software, the configuration data and the libraries are located in the same folder (by default Calibre Portable) on the portable device.

Whilst that's workaround-able, in your case I can't see any advantage. Regular calibre can access your library on an external drive (the SSD from the old laptop via USB). The new laptop's 32GB SSD would have regular calibre installed (64bit ~200MB) and the configuration data (20-50MB) in their 'regular locations'.

BR

Tags
library, recovery