Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-10-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
ajaffary
ajaffary began at the beginning.

Device: Thorium Reader MacOS
Post Preview and media query

I've recently incorporated media queries into an ePub to account for light and dark mode on Apple Books.

My OS (Mac Sonoma) is in dark mode, and I have Sigil set change to Dark Preview. However, Preview still only responds to a light mode media query, e.g.

Code:
@media (prefers-color-scheme: light) {
  p { color: black }
}

@media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) {
  p { color: white }
}
shows text in black. Is it possible to have Sigil's Preview browser access the OS level theme, e.g. prefers-colors-scheme?

The queries work in Apple Books, but it would be great to have Preview respond to this feature, saving having to reload the epub into Apple Books for small fixes.
ajaffary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 02:30 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I will look into this but Preview's background and text are controlled by the css code you inject.

Preview is not a full fledged e-reader. There is an Preview Icon to rapidly cycle through multiple user controllable css stylesheets for Preview to quickly "preview" pages in both light and dark modes.

FWIW, some images do not look good no matter the media queries settings under both light and dark mode. So epubs are normally designed for one mode or the other as very few real ereaders can handle both.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2024, 04:41 PM   #3
ajaffary

How do I cycle through different stylesheets? I've created two new ones for light and dark background, added to the Styles folder, and linked them in <head>.

Last edited by ajaffary; 03-10-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:48 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
They are not meant to be part of the epub itself. You create standalone css stylesheets and add them to your Sigil preferences folder.

See this thread ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347604

most info on Page 3 of that thread. The icon to cycle is on Preview itself.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-10-2024 at 05:52 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:00 PM   #5
ajaffary

This is great, thank you for your help.
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 12:37 AM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaffary View Post
This is great, thank you for your help.
And to think that Kevin said that only I was going to use that feature... Since it was incorporated into Sigil I use it every day. And I think not only me but also many others. With the OP we have evidence of that.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:04 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
We have evidence of two anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:30 AM   #8
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I make no secret of the fact that this function is useful. I usually use the dark mode in the UI and have a cream-yellow colour in the preview pane, as white is too glaring to the eyes. The alternative styles allow me to quickly check other settings.
I use it at least once a week.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:39 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I was joking. It just seemed humorous to me that Reuben claimed evidence of "many others" from a single poster announcing their enthusiasm for the newly discovered feature.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:13 AM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was joking. It just seemed humorous to me that Reuben claimed evidence of "many others" from a single poster announcing their enthusiasm for the newly discovered feature.
Well, at least and so far, we are three that claim the feature is useful. And three is a crowd
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple books, media query