Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
How can I fix my dictionary problem

I just updated the software on my Kindle Touch. I have two dictionaries, the ones that came with the Kindle. They are still there. But...when I try to look up a word, I'm told there's no dictionary. When go to settings, set dictionary, it also tells me I have no dictionaries. How do I fix this? Thanks.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I saw this very thing on my mom's new KT after we updated it to 5.1 during a visit, but was not able to resolve it before I had to leave.

Things I'd try:
- go into Settings, Device Options, Dictionaries and set the 'other' dictionary as default for English (if this works, set it back to the 'original' default if desired)
- restart
- archive the dictionaries, re-download from archive, check Settings again.
- call Amazon CS...

My KT (recently purchased and updated at about the same time as my mom's) does not have this problem. But I spent several hours to replicate the content that was on my previous KT, probably did a restart along the way, and so the problem—if I ever had it—may have fixed itself somehow. I'll check with my mom to see if it is working now for her.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
I archived one of the dictionaries, then downloaded it again. Went to settings, and both dictionaries were there. Thanks for taking the time to help.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
I archived one of the dictionaries, then downloaded it again. Went to settings, and both dictionaries were there. Thanks for taking the time to help.
It seems to be quite a common issue. Same thing happened to me when I upgraded from firmware 5.0.4 to 5.1 (and I solved it the same way that you did).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Good to know there's a relatively simple solution.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert