Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
This would be my favorite
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Thanks to dsvic I've re-found a funny site that I'd forgotten about.

xkcd
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
XKCD is awesome, it is the first site I go to on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!! I like this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bag_check.png
Views:	130
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	71926  
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One site I like is http://www.mysteryshows.com/ They have a free section and a members section (a small one time donation to get access) which altogether has some 45000 + Old Time Radio episodes that you can listen to online or download for your own collection. Way better than a lot of what's on TV now days.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One site I like is http://www.mysteryshows.com/ They have a free section and a members section (a small one time donation to get access) which altogether has some 45000 + Old Time Radio episodes that you can listen to online or download for your own collection. Way better than a lot of what's on TV now days.
Exceptional.

I like to listen to audiobooks as I drive (and there are times when I drive a lot). If you right click on an audio selection you can save it to a folder or the desktop. I then transferred it to my Sansa Clip Plus and it played just fine.

While driving for work I listen to audiobooks (and now these radio stories) thru the radio system. Traffic jams have never been so enjoyable.

And I get paid to do it too!

Last edited by SameOldStory; 05-28-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #21
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Many thanks for the site.

I like to listen on my MP3 when doing the drudgery of housework.

Much appreciated.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
SameOldStory
My True Self

Still another time-waster site.

Engrish

Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Exceptional.

I like to listen to audiobooks as I drive (and there are times when I drive a lot). If you right click on an audio selection you can save it to a folder or the desktop. I then transferred it to my Sansa Clip Plus and it played just fine.

While driving for work I listen to audiobooks (and now these radio stories) thru the radio system. Traffic jams have never been so enjoyable.

And I get paid to do it too!
You're quite welcome SameOldStory & nohmi2. Happy listening. The old programs are indeed just the thing for putting on Mp3 players. Many are fairly small in size so you can put a lot on and they stimulate the theater of the mind.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #24
SameOldStory
My True Self

I think that this one must be a work in progress, but here is a short list for those who like dogs -

Caninest

I'd like one of these.
Kishu Inu (Japanese)

Or one of these.
Shikokou (Japanese)
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Newspaper Map.
http://newspapermap.com/

It translates too.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #26
SameOldStory
My True Self

There are so many bad imitation Wiki's that I really don't want to say that this site is the "Wiki of food", but it truly is that interesting.

The Food Timeline

Cheese sticks anyone?
"Fry pieces of rich cheese, neither obviously aged nor obviously fresh, in a pan suited to them, with either butter or fat. When they are becoming tender, turn them, and take them out immedately. They must be sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon and eaten hot."
---On Right Pleasure and Good Health, Platina, critical 1475 edition translated by Mary Ella Milham"

PIONEER COFFEE
" Most emigrants took the advice of Anna Maria King: "Fetch what coffee, sugar and such things you like, if you should be sick you need them." By the time the travelers were nearing either Oregon of California, coffee was sometimes the only provision left. Catharine Amanda Scott Coburn, and Oregon pioneer, recalled those times: 'We still had coffees, and, making huge pot of this fragrant beverage, we gathered round the crackling camp fire--our last in the Cascade Mountains--and, sipping the nectar from rusty cups and eating salal berries gathered during the day, pitied folks who had no coffee.'"

Italian sausages:
"The Romans, who loved highly spiced food, ate enourmous quantities of spicy...sausages...The Romans...developed a wide variety, including pendulus, a large slicing sausage, and hilla, a very thin sausage using the small intestine, rather like today's dried mountain sausages. The first-century Roman gourmet gives this recipe for the still famous smoked Lucanica sausage from southern Italy: "Pound pepper, cumin, savory, rue, parsley, mixed herbs, laurel berries, and liquamen, and mix with this well-beaten meat, pounding it again with the ground spice mixture. Work in liquanum, peppercorns, plenty of pate and pine-kernels, insert into an intestine, drawn out very thickly, and hang in the smoke.""
Old 06-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
This would fall into the fun category. "HEMA" is a Dutch department store. The first store opened on 4th November, 1926, in Amsterdam . Now there are 150 stores all over the Netherlands .

Take a look at HEMA's product page. You can't order anything and it's in Dutch, but just wait a couple of seconds and watch what happens.

Don't click on any of the items in the picture, just wait and see.

HEMA - online winkelen

Last edited by orlok; 06-11-2011 at 07:24 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #28
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ ROFLMAO! orlok, that was fantastic! I am spreading the link to all my peeps... THANKS!

note: 100% safe [just Flash] and absolutely G-rated. In fact, I suggest kid's watch with you - they will love it.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #29
SameOldStory
My True Self

I AM NOT FAT!

I'm just growing. A little.

Futurity

Do I look fat in this? (It’s all in the hips)
“Our findings suggest that pelvic growth may contribute to people becoming wider and having a larger waist size as they get older, whether or not they also have an increase in body fat.”

"The pelvic width of the oldest patients in the study was, on average, nearly an inch larger than the youngest patients. This one-inch increase in pelvic diameter, by itself, could lead to an approximately three-inch increase in waist size from age 20 to age 79."

I suppose this is the reason that older women are called "broads".

Men, of course, are simply "distinguished".
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #30
SameOldStory
My True Self

From the same site;

Root may stem breast cancer spread
"A compound from roots used in one of the world’s oldest medical systems prevents breast cancer cells from metastasizing in animals."

“Most patients who die from cancer die because of metastases, not from the primary tumor,” says senior author Adam Marcus, assistant professor of hematology and medical oncology at Emory University.