Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Getting the Droid X

So I'm going to get the Droid X tomorrow, anyone have any experience? I'm really looking forward to rooting this thing (because I root everything LOL) and using it.

Hopefully it'll be a good secondary reader as well!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have the galaxy S series, and have two cousins with the X. They really like the X and think it's a great phone. So do I, but then again I'm bias to anything that has an "X" in the name.

From everything I've seen and heard even though the S and X have similar hardware processing power, the X tends to outlast and out perform the S, even more so know that it has 2.2.

However the S has an absolutely fantastic screen and stands alone in this area.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks man, I've got the Droid X and I LOVE it. The camera is incredible at 8MP, and it's responsive as all heck. I downloaded Aldriko for it, and will connect it up with my Calibre Cloud when I get a chance...got a buddy that works at verizon that hooked me up with the phone for $100 after the rebate
Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I got the Droid X as well, and yeah this phone is wonderful. Just a joy to use and have.
I too love it.
I was a former iPhone user, and I have to say I like Android better. You can customize, real multitasking, etc. I'm really impressed with the high end Android Phones.

Last edited by boswd; 11-17-2010 at 02:28 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Just downloaded the B&N app, to mess around with....and Angry Birds...that game is so addictive LOL....just rooted it too to tether my wifi Nook to sort of make it 3G
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah, ditch the nook. You should get Aldiko or Moon+.

Yep having "Calibre" on the net rocks, I use it for my S and Kindle2. It allows me to keep my local book collections small and easy to navigate. And keep most of my books accessible online.

Moon+ integration with calibre web server is fantastic. All you have to do is point to the URL and you can search using canned searches, your tags, or just type. This is the best client yet.

The Kindle would probably be one of the better ones if it did not crash when using non-amazon books.

As for games, Angry Birds is fun, but too easy. I found "Guns 'n Glory" to be the most addicting game. It's a tower of defense type game except it takes place as a western.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 11-16-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

I've got the Aldiko, but I don't like how it handles the text, just something not right with it for me, but I'll give the Moon+ a shot.

And I'll check out Guns n Glory as well....I'm having a hard time with a few levels on the Angry Birds game, but it's still addicting LOL.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I've got the Aldiko, but I don't like how it handles the text, just something not right with it for me, but I'll give the Moon+ a shot.
True, I really had to tweak Aldiko to get it to display the book/text to my linking. The nook was better off the bat, but with Aldiko, it had enough flexibility that I could it to customize to my liking. That was not the case with the nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
And I'll check out Guns n Glory as well....I'm having a hard time with a few levels on the Angry Birds game, but it's still addicting LOL.
Yeah it is, I had fun with the game. I did get stuck in many levels and when I did I would just put the game away. The next time I launched the app I would easily pass that level. The brain just works that way.

I got really sucked in with GnG. The first time I played it I thought I only spent 20min. playing it, in reality it was closer to 3hrs.

=X=
Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard

LOL, that's funny, I did that with Civilization 3 when it came out....my wife was pretty ticked off when she woke up and it was 3:30am and I was still on the computer LOL.

I did find a cool app called Perfect Viewer, it's an awesome image viewer, and it reads CBR, CBV files so much better than ACV
Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard

Found a way to read my Droid X with Adliko and not give me a headache....FINALLY got a good balance.

An anti-glare screen protector, some font changes and finding the right brightness setting, and I'm getting there...sweet!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

I'm glad you got a reader that is working for you. As for the screen, yes that is a very important aspect of any CPU/smartphone. I over analyzed this for all the phones Android phones I was looking into. The Samsung just had the best. You really have to see the screen in night mode, the black is true black and dropping the font to a gray makes it real easy to read at night.

I don't read comics, but that is often something that is asked on these boards, maybe you can post a few of the readers you evaluated.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

I tried to do a video review of the Perfect Viewer, but it didn't work out too well, you can't see it on video that well LOL. If the Droid continues to work out as a reader for me, I may migrate to the LCD.....but first need to check the Nook Color out in the store.