Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #151
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Does Beyond the Book work for library books though? That might be nice.
I don't think Beyond the Book even exists anymore.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #152
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't think Beyond the Book even exists anymore.
Thanks for that. I thought it had died on the vine, but couldn't confirm either way. I've never used it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #153
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Kindle does have a better dictionary. They use the OED. I forget what dictionary Kobo uses, but it's not as thorough. ...
I believe Kobo (and Nook) both use the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (for English). (At least my Nook Simple Touch and Kobo Touch use it.) But, unlike the Nook, the Kobo doesn't give you synonyms or word origins. So the NST is more complete.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #154
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle Store has quite a number of dictionaries that you can purchase that function as lookup and translation dictionaries, if the ones that come with Kindle seem insufficient. I don’t think that is an option with either Nook or Kobo ecosystems.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #155
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
I have Kobo Aura One from the beginning, it works perfectly, but I ordered KP4 because 6 inch is the perfect size for mobile reading in the bathtub and at the beach. Dreaming of a 4 ich waterproof ereader...
(here on Cies island...)

Last edited by Arbait; 10-20-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #156
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Kindle does have a better dictionary. They use the OED. I forget what dictionary Kobo uses, but it's not as thorough. You can search through the Kobo forums. There are discussions of the different dictionaries.

Having said all that, I've never found the Kobo dictionary lacking. It's not like their dictionary is junk.

It's a feature I rarely ever use. When I have used it, it hasn't let me down. There are different reasons I might try a Kindle, but their better dictionary wouldn't be one of them.

When you say "I definitely miss that on Kindle" what are you talking about? That sentence lost me.
Yeah, not disputing whether it's a better dictionary -- just that I don't notice myself. I was saying this may very well be because on Kobo you can do a Google search (or search Wikipedia, or search within the book) for the highlighted word(s) if the dictionary entry leaves you wanting to know more. And I miss that when I'm reading on my Kindle.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #157
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Totally agree. The ability to easily manage collections, IMHO, gives Kobo the nod over Kindle. And I've had/used many versions of both ereaders and I find that I keep coming back to Kobo specifically for/because of the collections management ease of use.
Ah, I was talking about Overdrive library books. Since I read on Kobo, Kindle, and Nook, all my ebook organization is done in calibre. All I can say about collection management on an ereader is that the original Nook was horrible! Since then, I haven't really paid attention. Good to know that Kobo does it well if I ever wanted to.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #158
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Yeah, not disputing whether it's a better dictionary -- just that I don't notice myself. I was saying this may very well be because on Kobo you can do a Google search (or search Wikipedia, or search within the book) for the highlighted word(s) if the dictionary entry leaves you wanting to know more. And I miss that when I'm reading on my Kindle.
While you can't do a Google search, you can search Wikipedia (or within the book, or within the entire library) on a Kindle as well.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #159
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
While you can't do a Google search, you can search Wikipedia (or within the book, or within the entire library) on a Kindle as well.
Yeah, that's one feature I really appreciate. One of the few things the Kindle does better than my tablet. I don't believe even Calibre has a full text search function at the moment (albeit I believe there was a Linux plugin or one that requires an external app?).

Right now, I convert all my ebooks to plain text and use Notepad++ — Find in files when I need to do bulk searches within ebook text.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #160
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretty expensive for such a budget model without a memory card and all the hassle it takes to put the books outside of the market.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #161
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
why so many threads on the same topic?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #162
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Pretty expensive for such a budget model without a memory card and all the hassle it takes to put the books outside of the market.
It's priced pretty much where bottom of the line, front-lit readers are priced. And it has waterproof and has Bluetooth capabilities. No mainline readers have SD card slots now. And "outside of the market" books works both ways. A lot of people buy their books from Amazon and convert them for ePub readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
why so many threads on the same topic?
Two?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #163
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
It is only a hassle if there is DRM. Loading the free Tor.com ebookclub books or books from sites that have DRM-free mobis is pretty easy.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:11 AM   #164
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Just curious, what exactly make it a "budget model"? It has waterproofing, bluetooth and now a range of storage options (SD cards are history everywhere it seems). Unless "budget model" simply means "6-inch model" I'd say it's actually a premium 6-inch reader, and I'm a Kobo Clara user.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:34 AM   #165
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I think the price is very good. It’s a bottom end e-reader with very good specs. Nothing “expensive” about it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote