Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #31
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
I live in the Pacific Northwest (United States) so reading outside isn't usually possible unless you like reading in the rain. There isn't a lot of sunny weather here. I do most of my reading inside in a comfortable chair or at work during breaks.

For me background noise isn't an issue. Once I start reading I just naturally block out all external sounds and just concentrate on my reading. Frequently people will talk to me and I won't even hear them. My family knows to get my attention before asking me anything.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I read outdoors quite often, including in direct sun. I like to walk a lot, in all seasons, and my reader always goes with me. I read when stopping to rest a bit, or more likely because I've found a nice private bench or place to sit and the surroundings are too nice to just walk past. And I stop for no reason other than to just read for awhile. But reading in direct sunlight happens a lot for me, so an ereader is a must wherever I go.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-15-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do sometimes read outside. But not all that often as I'm usually doing other things outside.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #34
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
When all I had was a Sony reader, and had no job for a 1 1/2 years, in the nice weather I would take a walk down to the library and sit on a bench and read.

Once I became employed again, I had no time or energy, and then I got my Samsung Note 2. It became my main reader when out commuting to and from work on the T.

I listen to my music and read my book while on the train and trolley to & from work and during my lunch break I just read.

I have a nice set of Sennheiser Momentum headphones that do a wonderful job of blocking out the stupid chatter of other commuters, leaving me to be able to concentrate on my book.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It does not do me any good to listen to music while I read. I do not hear the music that is playing when I am reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #36
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If I were stuck outside in direct sunlight, I'd be more likely to be searching for or constructing a shelter than reading. Once I had my shelter and some shade, THEN I'd read. FWIW, I don't read outside in the rain either. And I try to avoid lightning and hailstorms as well.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Living in Houston, the weather is usually too miserable to read outside. But I'm on vacation in Seattle and Oregon and the weather here is lovely, I spent several hours off and on reading outside in direct sunlight. It was very, very nice.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It does not do me any good to listen to music while I read. I do not hear the music that is playing when I am reading.
I don't hear it at first but, after a while, it becomes a distraction and an annoyance, so then I have to turn it off.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Living in Houston, the weather is usually too miserable to read outside. But I'm on vacation in Seattle and Oregon and the weather here is lovely, I spent several hours off and on reading outside in direct sunlight. It was very, very nice.
Same with me and Idaho. Even on rainy days (on the covered porch) I enjoyed reading outside.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If it's not too cold out, on a sunny day I walk down to the seawall and read while eating lunch. On all too common rainy days, I'll sit out on the patio where I can read, eat my lunch and think nice thoughts about the smokers standing out in the rain. Sadly the rainy days are rather common here but 248 cm of rain does give the greenery the chance to stay green.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #41
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I can't listen to music when reading. That is impossibly distracting for me. I usually read sitting in the waiting area before my wife and son's hockey team hits the ice. Usually there are 5 million screaming teenagers then, as they have "open skate" prior to the adult league games.

In this case, I have something playing on my tablet (earphones) while I'm reading my eReader. That something is "brown noise". I use it to drown out the shrieking teenie boppers, and it works wonderfully for that. Until I went looking for "drown out those annoying brats" sounds, I had no idea there was such a thing as brown noise. I knew about white noise, but that's too harsh for me. There is also pink noise which I found annoying as well. But brown noise is just right...

Example of brown noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B_erkJe-k

Example of "smoothed" brown noise (I like this better than regular brown noise, but haven't tried it vs. the teenie boppers yet):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWgjCDPiP4
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #42
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm photosensitive and live in Australia, so no, I never sit in direct sunlight, if I have any kind of choice.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #43
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sitting the car bright sunlight while Kevin pays bills, etc
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really don’t think it’s possible to answer the OP’s question - ie provide a numerical figure for the number of people who read outside. Stating whether or not each of us as individuals read outside or not doesn’t bring us any closer to knowing how many people read outside.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I use music to block out loud conversation around me when I read or am trying to focus on tasks such as programming. In a perfect world, i.e. no distractions around me, I prefer quiet when I'm focused on programming or reading. I've noticed that some people struggle with the concept of quiet conversation and using your indoor voice.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote