Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Question eBook Stores and Sources in 2017/2018

A lot has changed in the world of eBooks the past fifteen years. I'm curious... If you were to start your eBook collection all over again, what store(s) and/or legitimate source(s) (Project Gutenberg, et al.), would you primarily obtain them from?
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Amazon
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Wherever it's available and cheapest. Amazon, Smashwords, Google Play, Kobo mostly.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Baen and Amazon for commercial ebooks. Archive.org for PDF scans of the classics.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon with Baen, Kobo and Google sometimes playing a role (Kobo & Google with a discount/coupon if it makes them cheaper than Amazon).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-27-2017 at 04:55 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Amazon gets the bulk of my cash, mostly for convenience. Otherwise various bundles - Humblebundle, StoryBundle, Bundle of Holding (mostly PDF RPGs), Baen, and Smashwords. Occasional purchases from Kobo if I’ve got some credit but as I object to faffing around with ADE and I find the storefront horrid, it’s got to be something I can’t find elsewhere or is significantly cheaper. Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive for public domain works.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once ADE is properly setup, it's trivial to use. It's actually easier to use than Kindle for PC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pausing for a moment to gently weep at the thought of having to restart my ebook collection (6510 books!)

To start with most of my books would be PD (mostly from faded page) but eventually most of my books would likely be acquired from Amazon and Kobo with frequent additions from PD sites and and a few books bought directly from the publisher's website.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Honestly, if I were to start my ebook collection all over again, I'd buy fewer books. I'd go for a lot more on demand purchases and a lot fewer for inventory.

Other than that, and absent the coupons and deals that drove so much of my buying, I'd probably get whatever public domain edition of a work seemed to be the best formatted and for purchases, I'd go to Amazon, as most likely to be around for the long haul. But that wouldn't be important when buying on demand.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
These days, it's mostly Amazon. Can't think of very many ebooks that are legitimately available online, but aren't on Amazon. There are a few, but not many.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Baen, Kobo, Amazon, Smashwords, Feedbooks and Gutenberg.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
...I'd probably get whatever public domain edition of a work seemed to be the best formatted...
I have to say, I've been happy with the books I've gotten from Standard eBooks. Their catalog is very small, but their work is very good. Just finished their Treasure Island.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Amazon for me. I have Kindles with 3G and they make everything really easy. They have good prices, good sales and because I also read a lot of PD books they have a good selection of those.

I think, like Issy, I'd buy fewer books. I probably buy 5 or 6 for every one I read, although I get most of those for a dollar or two.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Baen, Kobo, Amazon, Gutenberg (in various countries), libraries, Feedbooks, Google. It all depends on where I can get the better deal or in the case of Gutenberg, which locale has the better version since I've found some odd formatting differences at times.

Baen makes the list since I often buy the monthly bundle which has 6-7 books of which 4 are new releases and you get the 1/2 book and 3/4 book releases of the new books prior to the release date. There is also the Grantville Gazette where I pick up the 6 book bundles so a year at a time (What can I say? I'm addicted to the ebook version of a soap opera ).

The public library is often the best choice for quality and price and would be much higher on my list but do I want to be #23 on the wait list for popular books?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Baen: http://www.baen.com/baenebooks
Black Coat Press: http://www.blackcoatpress.com/e-books.html
Book View Café: http://bookviewcafe.com/bookstore/
Booktopia: https://www.booktopia.com.au/?ebooks
Closed Circle: http://www.closed-circle.net/ebook-catalog/
Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/
Pan Macmillan Australia: https://www.panmacmillan.com.au/books/
Rebellion Publishing: http://rebellionstore.com/
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/
Soho Press: https://sohopress.com/store/

Amazon, Apple, Barnes and Noble, Phoenix Pick are too much hassle to bother with anymore, but I'll consider buying from any other retailer so long as the end result is that the publisher gets their money and I get a DRM-free or DRM-removable ePub.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote