Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 10:33 AM   #1
seannymurrs
seannymurrs began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro (10.5")
Question Question about re-adding books (+metadata/covers)

Long story short, my Calibre library was hosed. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but something must have happened to the metadata.db because my library is now empty even though all of the files are still where they are supposed to be. I've resorted to creating a new library and re-adding all of my books. I was hoping that, since the opf, json, and cover files are all still in the subfolders with the ebook files, that Calibre would be able to read that data when re-adding the books. That doesn't seem to be the case, however. I tried adding books using the folder and subfolder option, and I clicked yes on the option to have Calibre treat all files in the same folder as the same book. All of my books appear to get added, but none of the metadata and/or covers are included. Am I missing something, or is it just not possible to include that data when adding books?
seannymurrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
First, before all the manual rebuilding, have you tried to simply point Calibre to the location of your library? (Switch/create library - use a previously existing library at the new location)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #3
seannymurrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
First, before all the manual rebuilding, have you tried to simply point Calibre to the location of your library? (Switch/create library - use a previously existing library at the new location)
I did try that, and it just shows an empty library.
Old Today, 12:03 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you look in the library folder and is the metadata.db file gone?
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #5
seannymurrs

Quote:
Did you look in the library folder and is the metadata.db file gone?
The file is still there.
Advert
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Before you go the painful way (because you tried stuff that did in the easy way)
Are you sure you did the create / switch Use Existing to the correct location.
The correct location will have:
many Author folders
Inside those will be Title(id) folders
Inside will be the formats (if not an 'empty book') AND metadata.opf (this is the individual backup for the entry) AND possibly cover.jpg
The Metadata and Cover are what you see in the Library view.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannymurrs View Post
The file is still there.
Then you should be able to point Calibre to it. Be sure you select the correct location in the dialog.

If the metadata.db exists, there should be no need to rebuild the library, unless it's corrupted somehow.
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the library is corrupt, there could be an issue with the drive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the library is corrupt, there could be an issue with the drive.
We don't know if it's corrupt at this point. Seems to me like Calibre has forgotten the library location for some reason.
Old Today, 02:36 PM   #10
seannymurrs

Quote:
We don't know if it's corrupt at this point. Seems to me like Calibre has forgotten the library location for some reason.
I think the database has to be corrupt somehow. I tried copying the entire library (including the metadata.db file) to a separate location, and then pointed Calibre to that new location (and told it to use the library that's already there). I still got an empty library.
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #11
seannymurrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Before you go the painful way (because you tried stuff that did in the easy way)
Are you sure you did the create / switch Use Existing to the correct location.
The correct location will have:
many Author folders
Inside those will be Title(id) folders
Inside will be the formats (if not an 'empty book') AND metadata.opf (this is the individual backup for the entry) AND possibly cover.jpg
The Metadata and Cover are what you see in the Library view.
Correct, this is what I've been doing. It adds the books, but all it has is the title and author (no other metadata or cover). I've confirmed that the opf and cover jpeg files are still there with the ebook files themselves.
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Correct, this is what I've been doing. It adds the books, but all it has is the title and author (no other metadata or cover). I've confirmed that the opf and cover jpeg files are still there with the ebook files themselves.
Then, use the Library maintenance tool (on the Library icon or using the Commandline tool) to Rebuild the DB.
Do Not try ADD (at this time) , rebuild is fairly quick (~3 books a second) as it just reads the metadata.OPF file in the folder and does not even need to open the book
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think the database has to be corrupt somehow. I tried copying the entire library (including the metadata.db file) to a separate location, and then pointed Calibre to that new location (and told it to use the library that's already there). I still got an empty library.
With this library selected, click on the library name in the toolbar and select Library maintenance > Restore database. That will read all of your eBooks and grab the data from the metadata.opf files and rebuild the database.

Let us know how this goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:32 PM   #14
seannymurrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With this library selected, click on the library name in the toolbar and select Library maintenance > Restore database. That will read all of your eBooks and grab the data from the metadata.opf files and rebuild the database.

Let us know how this goes.
I'm not sure what was going on, but doing this worked when I tried it this latest time. I had tried it previously, and got an error about failing to restore preferences and column settings (or something along those lines). I'm not sure what fixed it, but somewhere along copy the entire library directory around to different folders and drives seems to have gotten things working again. I can't remember exactly how many books I had in my library before, so I can't say for sure I have every one back, but I don't see anything noticeably missing. Thanks for the help, everyone!
Old Today, 05:05 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Preferences and Column settings (restore) come from 2 places.
1 is the JSON file in the Library folder (there is one for each Library)

2 User preferences (other than Per Library) come from the configuration folder. I don't believe this is the one Restore is complaining about.

Not having anything (calibre) in use, is needed. A Full reboot before, would insure that is good to go.