Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
paolog
Zealot
paolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook touch 622
placing dictionaries

In the pb622 one can put dictionaries either on

/mnt/ext1/system/dictionaries (the main internal storage)
/mnt/ext2/system/dictionaries (an optional sd micro, usefull to test them)
/mnt/secure/dictionaries (an internal storage area)
anywhere, provided that you made a symlink from one of the previous three locations above

In each location, even with symlinks, they works well

If put in mnt/secure/dictionaries you can manage their availaibility via the system settings (like those from ABBYY)

On my PB, mnt/secure/dictionaries is 625mb of which 314mb are available (after I put there 70mb of my dictionaries)

It doesn't seem quicker to have dictionaries there

The only cons I can think of is the wearing (in terms of reading cycles) of the internal memory

anyone has any other pros/cons

Paolo
paolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
As cons for using /mnt/secure/dictionaries, it is not generally accessible on older (pre-Touch) devices with old versions of the firmware (you need root permissions), and you can't access it via the USB interface. Also, if you buy a lot of dictionaries via PB's website (does anyone?), you'll want to leave free space in /mnt/secure/dictionaries for them when the system installs them there. These are not very strong reasons, though.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert