Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Where are all the blind people?

This post springs from the Hisense video of the first color eInk phone. The Hisense executive was touting the health benefits of eInk.

Health Benefits of eInk.

Come on folks. There are something like 4 billion smartphone users in the world spending HOURS AND HOURS a day looking at their phones. Throw in another billion or so tablet users...and the decades we have had of PC/laptop users staring hours a day at their screens...another billion.

How many billion watch tv?

Now mind you. I'm not commenting on those who say they don't find reading on an "non-reflective" device comfortable. You know who you are and you know it it feels to you.

But come on. If there were truly "health dangers" to looking at screens for hours and hours a day....we'd have had an epidemic of blindness already. Long long long ago.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I don't know if it's a health danger per se, but I find it so much nicer to read on a frontlit eink screen than a smartphone.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is no proven health issue. Some people find ambient lit reading (paper or eink) less tiring than LCD or OLED, Plasma or CRT.

Shiny screens are known to cause headaches due to eye refocusing on the reflections. Moving reflections are the worst. Shiny is simply cheaper than high quality non-reflective and has the illusion of looking "better" in a showroom.

Non-reflective vs Shiny is more important than eInk vs anything else.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The only proven physical impact of screen viewing is eyestrain from the extended fixed focus of the eyes, which is why breaks are recommended to allow the eye muscles to reset. The same effect comes from extended longer distance focus (i.e., driving). Both are temporary. Lighting type has nothing to do with it. Lighting intensity has some effect.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372397
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
While my eyes prefer e-ink for long periods of reading (and I use a dedicated e-ink ereader for reading), I don't see the necessity (for me) of an e-ink phone. For my usage of my phone, the current technology is working.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
For reading I need eink (I don't care about eventual Health Benefits, I am not comfortable in reading otherwise), but a eink phone is not really important for me.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I wouldnt mind an e-nk phone, but I’m hooked into the Apple ecosystem so I think that isnt going to happen. In the meantime, theres e-ink devices for reading when upright, and the phone for when I am in bed (cant hold my kindle/kobo/prs in one hand whilst lying down... arthritis of thumbs and fingers)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Now mind you. I'm not commenting on those who say they don't find reading on an "non-reflective" device comfortable. You know who you are and you know it it feels to you...
Not only do they know who they are and how it feels to them but instead of addressing your question it seems they are all coming here to make sure that we all know who they are and how it feels to them.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Not only do they know who they are and how it feels to them but instead of addressing your question it seems they are all coming here to make sure that we all know who they are and how it feels to them.
Not much else to do here.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
People's bodies are different. One person may be able to eat a certain food with no problem while another person is deathly allergic to the same food.

I see no reason why there couldn't be differences in people's eyes so that some people are bothered by blue light, LCD, or whatever, while others are fine with it. (No, I'm not a scientist and admittedly this is just my opinion.)

Although I don't personally have a need for an e-ink phone at this point, I think it's great to have a variety of devices available. Maybe some people will find an e-ink phone easier on their eyes. Or maybe someone who works outside all day would like to have e-ink so they could read it more easily in bright sunlight.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The only proven physical impact of screen viewing is eyestrain from the extended fixed focus of the eyes, which is why breaks are recommended to allow the eye muscles to reset. The same effect comes from extended longer distance focus (i.e., driving). Both are temporary. Lighting type has nothing to do with it. Lighting intensity has some effect.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372397
Interesting. Looking at a PC monitor in a dark room seems more uncomfortable than when in a lit room. Perhaps that's partially due to not looking away (the rest of the room is dark, what's to look at?)
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Look at how many years it took them to figure out that trans fats were the culprit for high blood cholesterol and heart disease. When did they figure that out, around the turn of the century? Prior to that they were saying it was from saturated fats, and prior to that they were saying it was from fats in general, and prior to that they were saying it was from by cholesterol (dietary).

Trans fats were introduced into our diets in the 1940s via the process of partial hydrogenation (full hydrogenation doesn't produce trans fats). Partial hydrogenation is used to turn vegetable oils, a liquid, into shortening, a semisolid or plastic. Butter and unadulterated lard (i.e., not partially hydrogenated) have a short shelf life compared to shortening so shortening has been the darling of the food industry for breads, crackers, cookies, etc.

This long lead time to figure out the problem is part of the reason the flat earthers believe that vaccinations cause autism or whatever it is they believe. "You just never can tell."
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
oh this topic again...
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
You noticed that.

Folks....people have been staring at screens by the billions for decades. If there was a GENERAL health problem, you’d notice it.

You know....like the obesity epidemic. Something is going very wrong. People debate the causes....but the rates of obesity are exploding across the developed world such that SOMETHING is wrong.

No such thing with blindness. No eye devastation has been sweeping the world as Tv's, then computers and now smart phones and tablets have occupied billions of people's eyes.

The results are in. Billions of people across the globe spending hours a day looking at devices and no global eye disease pandemic.

Hundreds of millions play those first person shooter games with no problem. Me, I get motion sickness when I play them. It’s a real problem for me...but not a general problem for the population at large.

Read on a tablet, phone or eInk device depending on your own preference. There is just no eye health issue at play for the general public
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:58 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Personally, I follow the advice of taking steps to avoid eye strain while using display devices. I would encourage all people who use display devices too look into how to reduce eyestrain. I have had eyestrain from using display devices.

Unfortunately, when reading, I don't follow my own advice.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote