Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 AM   #1
mikedownesmedia
mikedownesmedia began at the beginning.

Device: A Moto G4 using Android 7.0
Links in Sigil website..

Hi,

I have some website feedback. For me at least, on reading the website, I cannot see the difference between text and linked text. May it be considered to make any inline link bold and a color in contrast to the main website text. I attached a slide on how I see the support page, see how 'Sigil Forum at MobileRead' is linked yet looks quite identical to all the other text.

Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil website links.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	176611  
mikedownesmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not hacking a Worpress theme just to change link colors. And I'm not risking the delicate nature of a working Wordpress site by changing the entire theme. The Wordpress site is really just an afterthought these days anyway. Sigil lives here at Mobilread and on Github.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedownesmedia View Post
I have some website feedback. For me at least, on reading the website, I cannot see the difference between text and linked text.
If your browser has reader mode try it; this is Firefox:

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-23 232153.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	176613

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedownesmedia View Post
May it be considered to make any inline link bold and a color in contrast to the main website text.
Like a little further down the page, there's an example of a bold link:

Name:	SigilBoldLink.png
Views:	147
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	176618

I agree, that's much easier to distinguish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not hacking a Worpress theme just to change link colors. And I'm not risking the delicate nature of a working Wordpress site by changing the entire theme. The Wordpress site is really just an afterthought these days anyway. Sigil lives here at Mobilread and on Github.
Just throwing this info out there:

Searching for "Sigil" pops up the Wordpress site at #1.

(Github much further down, MobileRead nonexistent).

Similar with "Sigil Download" and a few other searches I tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If your browser has reader mode try it; this is Firefox:
I love Reader Mode ever since they added it.

Or in this case of hard-to-read stuff, I usually just use the browser's zoom function (Ctrl + Scroll your mouse wheel up/down).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-23-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
love Reader Mode ever since they added it.

me too

Or in this case of hard-to-read stuff, I usually just use the browser's zoom function (Ctrl + Scroll your mouse wheel up/down).

Yep, especially when reader mode is not available (superuser site grhhh), but when it is, F9 toggling is normally enough for me.
<padding></padding>……… ton bear

BR
Old 01-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Just throwing this info out there:

Searching for "Sigil" pops up the Wordpress site at #1.

(Github much further down, MobileRead nonexistent).

Similar with "Sigil Download" and a few other searches
Can you guess what I'm holding back from just throwing out there?

I've found that when people go to websites looking for links, they almost always tend to find them. The OP finding their way here to make the suggestion sort of proves that "hard to see links" are more of an annoyance than a hurdle. If I were looking to earn money from Sigil, removing all speedbumps might be something I'd concern myself with. But I'm not. And truth be told ... I quite loathe website/blog work. Go figure.

By the way: when I google "download sigil," the Wordpress site is #1 and the Github Sigil Releases page is #2.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-23-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Bumps in the road are what makes for an interesting journey - I said that, just then

BR
Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
me too
It is absolutely fantastic on Mobile, since it makes so many of those dreadful "Mobile-friendly" designs actually readable. (Nothing worse than blinding white + enormous text + enormous margins + enormous paragraph spacing.)

Shame support for it is pretty much non-existent though. Looks like only one person works on it and barely any fixes:

https://github.com/mozilla/readability

And to even enable the button, it relies on heuristics... so some poorly coded sites don't even let you click it. (All the more reason to use correct semantic markup on your sites.)

Or many sites have text that poofs into thin air (like sites that hide articles in disgusting javascript, inserting text directly in one giant <div>, etc.).

Quote:
Can you guess what I'm holding back from just throwing out there?

Quote:
By the way: when I google "download sigil," the Wordpress site is #1 and the Github Sigil Releases page is #2.
I'm just not seeing the same things at all:

Bing:
  • "Sigil" (the official site shows in sidebar).
    • Site #1
    • Github #9
      • (completely buried under... videos, definition, etc. etc.)
  • "Sigil download"
    • Site #1
    • Github #18 (and links to 0.9.8)

Name:	Bing-1.png
Views:	145
Size:	464.4 KB
ID:	176621 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bing-2.png
Views:	149
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	176622

Startpage:
  • "Sigil"
    • Site #1
    • Github #11 + #12 (releases + main)
  • "Sigil Download"
    • Site #1
    • Github #2 (releases)

Name:	Startpage-1.png
Views:	149
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	176627 Click image for larger version

Name:	Startpage-2.png
Views:	136
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	176628

DuckDuckGo:
  • "Sigil"
    • Site #1
    • Github #8 + 9 (main + releases)
  • "Sigil download"
    • Site #2
      • Softsonic is actually #1, yuck
    • Github #7

Name:	DuckDuckGo-1.png
Views:	119
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	176623 Click image for larger version

Name:	DuckDuckGo-2.png
Views:	157
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	176624

Google:
  • "Sigil"
    • Site #1
    • Github #15+#16
  • "Sigil download"
    • Github #1
    • Site #3

Name:	Google-1.png
Views:	146
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	176625 Click image for larger version

Name:	Google-2.png
Views:	132
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	176626

Quote:
I've found that when people go to websites looking for links, they almost always tend to find them.
Maybe, eventually, perhaps... but it could be a pain to hunt down.

As I've explained in one of the earlier topics, one potential enhancement on the blog/site is to flip the downloads to display first, changelog second:

Currently:

Code:
- Sigil 1.0 Release
1. Huuuuuuge Changelog
2. Check the Wiki
3. Mac Users TCL
4. User Guide
5. PGP Fingerprint
6. Download (Github Link)
(And as this topic shows, the links are sometimes hard to distinguish too, especially when you're scrolling past pages and pages of technical gobbledeegook. :P)

Proposed:

Code:
- Sigil 1.0 Release
1. Download (Github Link)
--- Fat and extra bolded.
2. User Guide
3. Mac Users TCL
4. Check the Wiki
5(6?). Huuuuuuge Changelog
6(5?). PGP Fingerprint
--- Maybe display PGP on Github?

Not to throw him under the bus again, but I think Gregg Bell is pretty indicative of a "typical author" user.

Just yesterday he said he completed another book, and wants to get the latest Sigil.

He always get confused with Github, trying to find out exactly where (or what exact file) download.

Remember, he's non-technical, and Github is... not the easiest layout to understand + has lots of technical language. Plus, he only has to use Sigil every few months (so you tend to forget where the trustworthy sites are, don't want to scroll through months of changelogs, [...].)

Quote:
And truth be told ... I quite loathe website/blog work. Go figure.
Give me access to it. I don't mind copying/pasting or moving some basic text around. (Or even manually adding some <b> around those links.)

Heck, I'll just imagine it's a really boring book!

I shift text around and cleanup code for a living! :P

Quote:
The OP finding their way here to make the suggestion sort of proves that "hard to see links" are more of an annoyance than a hurdle. If I were looking to earn money from Sigil, removing all speedbumps might be something I'd concern myself with. But I'm not.
You have to think of the "invisible people".

The ones who come here and make suggestions are just a small subset.

Similar to that dreaded term—customer support:

If someone goes out of their way to make a complaint helpful suggestion, you can extrapolate that many other users are facing those same issues speedbumps.

The vast majority of speedbumps are going to be negative (especially if they finally manage to trudge through the depths and land here when they're frustrated!).

If everything is going smoothly, people are quiet... and very rarely, they'll show up and give positives (even though they'll be thinking very positive thoughts and love Sigil and think it's 99.999% amazing!).

Anyway, I'm here to still tell you and KevinH that I love you, and I love Sigil, and I think this program is one of the awesomest things since sliced bread.

(And in my email to Gregg, I told him how awesome Sigil 1.0 is with speedups in Spellcheck + Reports are, because KevinH speedily implemented them based on my reports.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-24-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:17 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You have to think of the "invisible people".
Why?