Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #2746
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I knew it was too good to be true. The three songs I heard sounded like boy bands compared to my favorite station on Tunein Radio - The Metal Plague. They also don't seem to have current music. The earliest I heard was from 1985.

Also, when I was deleting the app I noticed it had only 1,000 downloads. I generally don't download stuff with that low of a download count.
I'm not even going to attempt this one. I prefer early metal (60s and 70s).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #2747
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm glad Alexa is giving us so many metal options. I likes me some heavy metal.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #2748
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

...I'm about to get sick again.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #2749
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

A whole album of this crap? What is the world coming to? 🙉
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #2750
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
A whole album of this crap? What is the world coming to? 🙉
I wonder if he does Norwegian Death Metal
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #2751
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
True Crime novel - West Cork by Sam Bungey, Jennifer Forde is free on Audible through Echo. You can also buy it for free on Audible, but I don't know if this is limited to just Echo owners or not. It looks like there is a complete audiobook as well as a serialized version all marked for $0.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #2752
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Deezer now works with Amazon Alexa

Quote:
Amazon has added support for Deezer to Alexa, so now you can directly control the streaming music service with your voice. Deezer should work with most Alexa-enabled devices, including Amazon’s line of Echo speakers, the Sonos One, and the UE Megablast and Blast.

Deezer is the latest music service to offer integration with Alexa voice controls, a list that now includes Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, and more. The functionality should be rolling out today in 66 countries, including the US, UK, and Germany.
Deezer has a free 30-day trial.

NOTE -- when you click on Deezer to enable it, you may get this message:

Quote:
You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions.
One reviewer contacted Deezer:

Quote:
Geographical restrictions?
••••• by chicks on March 06, 2018

Unable to activate the skill in the USA.

OK, response from Deezer Support says this will be active in USA on March 9th. Hope so!
Old 03-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #2753
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm pretty much over Alexa. I've gotten tired of having Alexa suddenly start talking for no reason. The other day I was off in another room, far from my Dot, and heard a voice--Alexa was chatting. I told her to stop, and she went into a spiel thanking me for chatting, blah blah blah, and it took a second try to make her stop. What set her off? No clue. Maybe the cat meowed at her.

That was the last straw. I was going to unplug her completely, but then I got the idea of using a remote plug I have for Christmas lights. So now I can keep her quiet and off till I actually want her to do something--usually all I ever want is to play music, and it's easy enough to press the remote first. It does take a few moments for Alexa to reset and respond, but it's better than being startled by a disembodied voice at all hours.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #2754
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm pretty much over Alexa. I've gotten tired of having Alexa suddenly start talking for no reason. The other day I was off in another room, far from my Dot, and heard a voice--Alexa was chatting. I told her to stop, and she went into a spiel thanking me for chatting, blah blah blah, and it took a second try to make her stop. What set her off? No clue. Maybe the cat meowed at her.

That was the last straw. I was going to unplug her completely, but then I got the idea of using a remote plug I have for Christmas lights. So now I can keep her quiet and off till I actually want her to do something--usually all I ever want is to play music, and it's easy enough to press the remote first. It does take a few moments for Alexa to reset and respond, but it's better than being startled by a disembodied voice at all hours.
I never expected much from my Tap so I'm not too disappointed with it - if nothing else it's a decent portable bluetooth speaker. (I don't turn on voice activation.) My main disappointment is lack of Kindle integration - why can't I do text-to-speech from Kindle to Tap, or dictate a voice note at a selected point in a book?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #2755
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Catalyst, I have not had your experience, but I appreciate your solution. They said on the news that they are working on the disembodied voice as well as the laugh.

CCinohio, that's annoying. I can do kindle text to speech from both Echo and Dot. I wonder why Tap doesn't have it? Have you checked that you have the latest update?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #2756
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
New Alexa Feature Makes Follow-Up Commands Easier
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #2757
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Nice. I've been wanting that for a while. Now, if it would just support adding multiple items to a list with a single command...
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #2758
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yea, I'll have to try that... Alexa, add milk, add eggs, add butter.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #2759
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
. . . I can do kindle text to speech from both Echo and Dot. I wonder why Tap doesn't have it? . . .

I guess for the same reason that the Tap can't be used as an intercom. It seems to have unwanted stepchild status in the Echo family. Still, the portability is useful, and they did add wake word capability with an update. We can hope for similar updates in the future for TTS and Drop In features, I suppose.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #2760
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I guess for the same reason that the Tap can't be used as an intercom. It seems to have unwanted stepchild status in the Echo family. Still, the portability is useful, and they did add wake word capability with an update. We can hope for similar updates in the future for TTS and Drop In features, I suppose.
The Tap is the Fire Phone of Echos.