Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
Hi Chaley,

I have a Nexus 7 2013 tablet running KitKat 4.4 and while the tablet does not have an SD card slot I use Nexus Media Importer with a cables to go adapter which allows me to use a USB flash drive with the tablet. The Nexus Media Importer has several different ways you could address/access the storage device connected to the USB port on the tablet. I'm currently using a 128GB USB flash drive with the adapter and it works fine for video play back at 1080p.

The Nexus Media Importer is an inexpensive app and can support flash card readers as well.

Would you consider having CC access the Nexus Media Importer?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
As far as I can tell from reading the app's description and the reviews, it does not actually "mount" the external storage as part of the file system, instead making a "streaming" adapter. If true, then CC can't use it because it needs to be able to treat books as files. Reader apps must be able to do the same thing. Question: can you open a reader app, navigate to an arbitrary book file on the external storage, and open that book in the reader?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

Thanks for doing this.
Anything for you, my friend.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #18
jjmcgaffey
jjmcgaffey began at the beginning.

Device: Moto G Power (2020), various tablets
Quote:
There is one possibility that we are not able to test. It might be possible to manually create the app-specific folder, then use CC's change library dialog to move CC's library to that folder. It might even be possible for CC to create that folder. Who knows?

CC's app-specific library folder on the SD card should be
Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid/files
If you are running the latest version of CC then there is an example of this folder on the devices main memory. The debug log is stored there now instead of in the library (because we might not be able to write the library).

CC might be able to write to that folder if it exists, which means that CC's existing library folder dialog would permit changing the library to that folder. CC might be able to create the "files" folder if the parent folder (com.multi...) exists. Or perhaps nothing will work because the folder must be created by Android with specific permissions.
I went looking - the folder exists on my SD card. I used the library folder dialog, and it spent a long time moving the books - then complained that it couldn't do it because it couldn't delete the files from the old location. However, the books are now in that com.multipie folder - and I can sync (although it disconnected a couple times), and add books from calibre on my computer - it works! I now have the books in both places, and will need to delete them from the old folder via sticking the card into my computer, but shifting the library to that folder fixed the problem.

The folder also exists on internal memory (what my phone calls "sdcard0"), and there contains only one file; I presume it's the debug log you mention above.

There was some problem doing the initial sync, after the move - CC disconnected a couple times. Or at least, calibre reported that it had disconnected - CC was still showing connected and syncing. I canceled and reconnected, then had to do it again - the third time everything got synced. After that I tried adding a book to my phone, and it worked fine.

Thanks!
jjmcgaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:36 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcgaffey View Post
I went looking - the folder exists on my SD card. I used the library folder dialog, and it spent a long time moving the books - then complained that it couldn't do it because it couldn't delete the files from the old location. However, the books are now in that com.multipie folder - and I can sync (although it disconnected a couple times), and add books from calibre on my computer - it works! I now have the books in both places, and will need to delete them from the old folder via sticking the card into my computer, but shifting the library to that folder fixed the problem.
That is good to hear.
Quote:
The folder also exists on internal memory (what my phone calls "sdcard0"), and there contains only one file; I presume it's the debug log you mention above.
Yes.
Quote:
There was some problem doing the initial sync, after the move - CC disconnected a couple times. Or at least, calibre reported that it had disconnected - CC was still showing connected and syncing. I canceled and reconnected, then had to do it again - the third time everything got synced. After that I tried adding a book to my phone, and it worked fine.

Thanks!
Do you remember if there was any more information in that error message?

My thought is that the SD card might be slower than the main memory. CC uses the network to buffer up some changes. If the SD card is sufficiently slower then calibre might time out, thinking that the device went away. The subsequent syncs would make further progress on that buffer until the buffer gets small enough to finish in the time available.

There is almost no downside in making calibre's timeout longer, so I will do that. However, it would be nice to know if I am solving the real problem.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcgaffey View Post
After that I tried adding a book to my phone, and it worked fine.
This is great news. Did you have any trouble opening your books from CC into your book reader?

Also, which book reader do you use?
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #21
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Quote:
As far as I can tell from reading the app's description and the reviews, it does not actually "mount" the external storage as part of the file system, instead making a "streaming" adapter. If true, then CC can't use it because it needs to be able to treat books as files. Reader apps must be able to do the same thing. Question: can you open a reader app, navigate to an arbitrary book file on the external storage, and open that book in the reader?
Hi Chaley,

I tried and what happens is the Nexus Media Importer will make a copy of the file onto the internal memory of the Nexus 7 and then the reader program will launch. And no, I can't open a reader program and then browse to the file. I also tried to activate WebDav access via the ES File Explorer program that can access the media via localhost FTP, but I could not get it to work.

What's interesting is I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note II which is suppose to be getting KitKat and the phone has a microSD card slot which I don't see Samsung abandoning. It get's mounted so I'm certain Samsung is going to develop some way to handle this quirk with mounting the memory card.

It's too bad someone hasn't come up with a way to mount media that doesn't involve rooting.

Regards,

Jim
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 AM   #22
jjmcgaffey
jjmcgaffey began at the beginning.

Device: Moto G Power (2020), various tablets
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post

My thought is that the SD card might be slower than the main memory. CC uses the network to buffer up some changes. If the SD card is sufficiently slower then calibre might time out, thinking that the device went away. The subsequent syncs would make further progress on that buffer until the buffer gets small enough to finish in the time available.

There is almost no downside in making calibre's timeout longer, so I will do that. However, it would be nice to know if I am solving the real problem.

This is great news. Did you have any trouble opening your books from CC into your book reader?

Also, which book reader do you use?
I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was something like "device ended the connection", while CC continued to say that it was syncing with calibre. I tried it again just now and it synced very rapidly (I've only read a couple books since the last connection) with no problems. I suspect you may be right about the timeout.

I've had absolutely no problems opening books - it works perfectly, and exactly as it used to. I use FBReader, which is set as the default for epubs, and it still works as default - I hit the Read button on a book and it opens, no fuss. Once the library got into that folder, CC went back to working as it used to - books can be passed from calibre, data syncs, and books can be opened and read.

Oh, I mentioned this earlier - FBReader apparently writes to a cache of some sort, and I had to move its cache from CC's library to a folder in internal memory. But it apparently _only_ needs to write to cache, it has no problem having its library set to the new CC library folder.
jjmcgaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
That seems highly unlikely (at least in the US) because the US carriers generally only sell the smallest version of each phone. Every once in a while they add a larger one six months into the model year, but they certainly aren't following a strategy of pushing people to larger phones.
Correct. It is a push to cloud storage, as is the lack of large-internal-storage choice and the high prices of them when you do find them.

The supposed security reasons for the SD change are illogical nonsense.

This another in a recent string of stupidly evil Google decisions. I don't know who's running things there now, but it's the wrong person.

They are losing my trust.

I have so far never felt the need to root any Android device (I tried it on a Kindle Fire, but soon reverted to stock setup), but I will likely have to root any KK because of this.

This is a sad sad thing.
The freedom of choice in how to use MY DATA, on MY DEVICE, with the apps I CHOOSE has been one of my main arguments for Android over Apple.

Last edited by ApK; 05-02-2014 at 10:14 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The supposed security reasons for the SD change are illogical nonsense.
You are correct, and if you check the google documentation, you will see that they aren't even doing it for security reasons. They are doing it to make post uninstall cleanup easier. Still stupid, IMO, but for a different reason.

Quote:
This another in string of stupidly evil Google decisions.
Stupid yes, but why do you think evil? They have made a number of bad changes in the last couple of releases (No software control of airplane mode, remove access to battery statistics, the SD card thing), but I don't see why you would consider any of them evil.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #25
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are correct, and if you check the google documentation, you will see that they aren't even doing it for security reasons. They are doing it to make post uninstall cleanup easier. Still stupid, IMO, but for a different reason.
Yes, that too, and that's even worse. I've seen discussion of security concerns, too, which if valid, would have been at least easier to swallow. But they're not either.

Quote:
Stupid yes, but why do you think evil? They have made a number of bad changes in the last couple of releases (No software control of airplane mode, remove access to battery statistics, the SD card thing), but I don't see why you would consider any of them evil.
Merely that particular form of evil that I've long associated with Apple and Microsoft, in making corporate decisions that appear to be needlessly greedy and/or against the best interests of the user community and the state of the art. I also presume this is what Google meant in their "Don't be evil" guideline, since I assume they didn't need to remind themselves to not commit genocide or engage in human trafficking and the like.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
kaufman

Quote:
I've seen discussion of security concerns, too, which if valid, would have been at least easier to swallow. But they're not either.
I've seen them too, but they seem to be made by people who didn't read the Google documentation.

From the Google documentation about this change (bolding mine):
-----
The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions. Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled.
----

Quote:
Merely that particular form of evil that I've long associated with Apple and Microsoft, in making corporate decisions that appear to be needlessly greedy and/or against the best interests of the user community and the state of the art.
I guess I don't see how these changes are greedy. Google is trying to get better press by locking down the OS more so that people will stop talking about how it is filled with malware. I don't agree with the way they are doing it, but you can hardly call it greedy.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #27
ApK

Quote:
I guess I don't see how these changes are greedy. Google is trying to get better press by locking down the OS more so that people will stop talking about how it is filled with malware. I don't agree with the way they are doing it, but you can hardly call it greedy.
Greedy was part of an and/or statement. In this case, this would be the 'or'
Taking a flexible open system and making it less flexible and open for no good reason is not in the best interest of the user community or the state of the art.

Of course, if it turns out the real reason for the change was to sell overpriced internal storage options or sell cloud space, and increase dependency on carrier's expensive data plans, then it's greedy, too.

And isn't locking down against malware a security issue? It is in my book.
We seem to agree that it's part of the reason, and we seem to agree that reason is illogical nonsense (since apps can still read all data freely, and can arbitrarily write like they always have to internal storage) so I'm not sure that we disagree about anything.

Last edited by ApK; 05-02-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #28
kaufman

Just the evil vs stupid thing, perhaps.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #29
ApK

Quote:
Just the evil vs stupid thing, perhaps.
Hanlon's Razor, right?
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

The only problem I have with dismissing it as stupidity is I cannot believe these people are actually stupid. They make some amazing technology, grow it to a billion dollar company while still managing to give most of their products away for free. There have got to be some smart people making decisions. If so, then there is some smart reason behind these decisions, and if those smart decisions are to do stuff that's bad, that's what I call evil in this context.

I hope it's just stupidity, I really do. Stupid decisions get corrected, and stupid people get replaced.

A corporate trend toward evil would mean I can't trust them, and I may need a new browser (Chrome), new mail system (gmail), new phone number (Google Voice), new phone (Android), and new laptop (Chromebook) and I don't want to change all that!

Last edited by ApK; 05-02-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #30
kaufman

Quote:
That is good to hear.Yes.

My tablet (LG pad 8.3) was just upgraded to 4.4. I tried moving the book folder to the Android/.../files directory, and it was working fine until my SD card ran out of room. The files were not delete from the old folder, but the few hundred that were copied were visible in the program, and opened fine in Moon+Reader.

I then deleted the whole folder and deleted books with missing files to have a clean library.

I then tried copying my whole folder from within calibre. It failed out after about 150 books with a disconnected message. I tried opening the files that had copied, and everything worked fine.

If I do a couple of 100 files at a time, it works ok, but anything more then that fails after a while.

It should be noted that I have been able to copy my entire folder of several thousand books all at once under 4.3, so perhaps 4.4 is slowing things down.

Is increasing the timeout under Calibre a developer change or can I make this change in settings?

Still, the good news seems to be that once you get the books loaded, CC seems to work just fine under 4.4.