Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Afkpu
Afkpu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 600
Calibre Companion 3.2 (Amazon App Shop Version) + Android 4.4 (Kitkat) wont start

Hi @all,

at first sry for my bad english, its not my native tongue and i use to read, not to write it.

Im a proud owner of Calibre + Calibre Companion and use it to sync and read my ebooks / pdfs / digital magazines on my nexus 7 v.2. With the old Android Version 4.3.x (i dont know exactly which version it was and where to see it), everthing worked fine and i didnt have a single issue.

Yesterday i was "forced" to update to Android 4.4 (not exactly "forced" but this "systemupdate button glinted quite mesmerizing....), thats when my problems began. Im unable to open CC without getting the error message "calibre was closed".

I suppose its because of the outdated Amazaon App Store Version 3.2 i bought? Is there any way to manually update this Amazon-App Version to a androud 4.4 compatible version or am i doomed to wait until amazon decides its time to update to a recent version?

for all answers
Afkpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The only way to upgrade an amazon-purchased app is through the amazon store.

You are right -- the problem is caused by changes in kitkat. Google changed how permissions worked, causing CC to die with a "no permission" failure. We have a fix for this problem available on google play, but for various reasons I can't push these fixes to the Amazon store. I just asked my partner (son) to do it, and will post here once that process is underway.

Sorry about the problems.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Afkpu
Afkpu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 600
Thanks for the quick response!

Any idea how long that would take? Im still able to read my ebooks but... its not half the fun without browsing my filled well sorted calibre shelf...

Just because the last Amazon store update (and i understand that this is a amazon issue and not your fault) is datet 25.9.13.

But next time ill buy my apps via playstore... i just hate to use creditcards, but thats the only way to fill my google wallet in germany -.-
Afkpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afkpu View Post
Any idea how long that would take? Im still able to read my ebooks but... its not half the fun without browsing my filled well sorted calibre shelf...
We hope to get the new version to Amazon today. It is different from the GP version, so we must make and test it before sending.

In the past, they have taken anywhere between 3 hours and 3 days to update the site. Who knows how long this time ...
Quote:
Just because the last Amazon store update (and i understand that this is a amazon issue and not your fault) is datet 25.9.13.
Hmmm... I see 11/October. I wonder why you don't.

I will post here once we have uploaded the new version to Amazon.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The new version (3.2.5) has been submitted to Amazon. Steven (the person who submitted it) thinks it should be available within a day, but of course we cannot guarantee that.

EDIT: Amazon claims to have approved the release.

Last edited by chaley; 11-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The new version (3.2.5) has been submitted to Amazon. Steven (the person who submitted it) thinks it should be available within a day, but of course we cannot guarantee that.

EDIT: Amazon claims to have approved the release.
Success!

When I go to the Amazon app store from my Nexus 7 it shows version 3.2.5 as the current version available and a Original Release Date of October 11, 2012

Update: Charles the images on the Amazon App store are of the 2.xx variety. There are no images of the new Bookshelves.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-27-2013 at 02:14 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote