Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #31
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
A little background. I own all Murikami's English publications that I am aware of (15 or 16 plus a few magazine articles.). Typically once I start reading I read to the end with only minimal food and potty breaks along the way. (Same thing with Richard Brautigan's writing :-) )

I am about the middle of 1Q84 Book 1 chapter 3 and putting the book aside for a while.

While the story so far is interesting it seems rather stilted. It sounds as if rather than simply writing a story, Murakami is writing it so that it sounds like a Murakami story and thereby loosing some of natural flow I associate with his writing.

No way of knowing if that is the result of the authors writing or the interpreter's interpreting but either way it is, for now, to distracting for me to really get into the story like I have with the rest of his writings.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
A little background. I own all Murikami's English publications that I am aware of (15 or 16 plus a few magazine articles.). Typically once I start reading I read to the end with only minimal food and potty breaks along the way. (Same thing with Richard Brautigan's writing :-) )

I am about the middle of 1Q84 Book 1 chapter 3 and putting the book aside for a while.

While the story so far is interesting it seems rather stilted. It sounds as if rather than simply writing a story, Murakami is writing it so that it sounds like a Murakami story and thereby loosing some of natural flow I associate with his writing.

No way of knowing if that is the result of the authors writing or the interpreter's interpreting but either way it is, for now, to distracting for me to really get into the story like I have with the rest of his writings.
hmmmm......
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #33
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I haven't read it yet, but I can confirm that the Overdrive/library ebook has an embedded font, so Janáček appears properly.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #34
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I started the book a few days ago and so far I am mesmerized. Only about 15% into it. First time I have read a book by Murakami.

I became interested in him reading an article that came up on flipboard. It spoke about his running obsession and how he integrates that with his writing. I felt drawn to read him as I have twin obsessions of photography and cycling and have never managed to successfully reconcile them. He gives me hope.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #35
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I feel like such a bad jap for not liking him but I just can't get into his books lol. Maybe if I listen to you guys it'll turn me around.
Murakami is to literature as Satchmo is to music.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #36
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I finished #1 of 1Q84. I agree with the review above saying that it is mesmerizing. I also read a review saying it sort of reads like a "greatest hits" of Murakami, in that all his themes are thrown in there.. but I feel that way about a lot of his books. They're so identifiable but somehow so incredibly, well, mesmerizing. Really enjoying 1Q84 and I'll have to slow down on the next two books because it is NaNoWriMo month.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #37
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this true?

http://gizmodo.com/5854973/amazon-is...uin-the-kindle

1Q84 is limited in number of devices it can be read on?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #38
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I have it on both my kindle and iphone and it syncs between the two.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #39
kennyc

Thank you sir. Tim said in another thread he was able to download and read on three devices as well so I guess the gizmodo guy is just wrong or intentionally misleading people. But as a result there have been a bunch of one-star reviews at Amazon and lots of talk of it being restricted to a single device.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #40
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Thinking about it, I may have removed the DRM from the one on the iphone.

EDIT: I just downloaded it to my Kindle for PC also.

Last edited by BenG; 11-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I know I said I'd post something about my thoughts, but I'm now 30% into the book.....so, give me another day or two and I'll have something here.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #42
kennyc

Looking forward to it Don.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #43
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm going to read it as soon as I've finished Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima, this month's literary selection, so looking forward to any recommendations.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #44
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm going to read it as soon as I've finished Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima, this month's literary selection, so looking forward to any recommendations.
Spring Snow is one of my all-time favourites; I've read it many, many times and I have been planning on re-reading it after I finish 1Q84. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have!

Where is it this month's literary selection?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #45
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Where is it this month's literary selection?
I'm betting over here (though I still haven't wrapped up A Passage to India from a couple months ago, myself >_> ): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245

I have 1Q84 loaded on my NC, and it's up next after On Writing.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote