Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
DeepVoid
DeepVoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
New Kindle's KFX file format

Is there a way to deal with the new KFX file format Amazon recently introduced to manage advanced typography in Kindle devices?

I would like to sync my library with my new Kindle Paperwhite 3, but can't see how.

Is there any plan to support the KFX format any time soon?
DeepVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepVoid View Post
Is there a way to deal with the new KFX file format Amazon recently introduced to manage advanced typography in Kindle devices?

I would like to sync my library with my new Kindle Paperwhite 3, but can't see how.

Before calibre can handle it it'll need to be reverse engineered (and the DRM system reverse engineered too). Don't expect either in the near future.

But you can get copies of your books for calibre by going to the Amazon web site and downloading to your computer for 'transfer via USB' to your paperwhite. That will give you a .azw or .azw3 file to import into calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you connect your Kindle so calibre can see it, you will notice that calibre does sense your KFX books.

Trying to add any of them should pop up a warning that you tried to add a "Virtual Book" and that you should go to http://amzn.com/myk and download to "transfer via USB" as pdurrant describes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
DeepVoid
DeepVoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Ok, thanks guys! :-)
DeepVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:58 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
KFX is not recent. It's been out for more than six months.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
Beatrice McKeown
Beatrice McKeown began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Before calibre can handle it it'll need to be reverse engineered (and the DRM system reverse engineered too). Don't expect either in the near future.

But you can get copies of your books for calibre by going to the Amazon web site and downloading to your computer for 'transfer via USB' to your paperwhite. That will give you a .azw or .azw3 file to import into calibre.
Are there any other suggestions? because I don't have a kindle and therefore can't use the transfer via usb
Beatrice McKeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:55 AM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Yes. An older version of Kindle for PC. See
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=33

And don't expect this workaround to last foreever. Amazon will likely prevent this version working in the not too distant future. If you wnat to ensure access to azw3 in the future you will need to purchase an older Kindle, preferably a Kindle Keyboard at the earliest end of the spectrum and a Paperwhite 1 at the latest.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
sparkyair
sparkyair began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:

This is a post I just replied to thanking them that it worked, I used method 2. Good Luck

[snip - added link to thread instead of copy/paste of text]

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-29-2017 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Link instead of copy/paste
sparkyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Yes. An older version of Kindle for PC. See
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=33

If you wnat to ensure access to azw3 in the future you will need to purchase an older Kindle, preferably a Kindle Keyboard at the earliest end of the spectrum and a Paperwhite 1 at the latest.
Darryl, can you confirm that the Paperwhite 1 is the latest Kindle that will enable this method?
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
Darryl, can you confirm that the Paperwhite 1 is the latest Kindle that will enable this method?
Yes. It is my understanding that the PW1 does not currently support kfx, whilst all Kindle models after this do. Currently, if you do have a newer model you can still download kf8 files using the download via usb option from the website. The speculation here is that Amazon will probably change this sooner rather than later so that even this option will download kfx for those devices that support it. This has not happened yet and of course we are all only speculating. The possibility of Amazon adding kfx support to the PW1 has also been discussed. Whilst this is possible, there seems to be some agreement that it is not likely. It is even less likely with the older Keyboard. It is also possible though I think unlikely that Amazon will abandon support for any Kindles that they do not modify to support kfx.

There are of course no guarantees here. We are all only speculating on what Amazon is likely to do.

Last edited by darryl; 04-11-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
I've just bought a used Paperwhite 1 on eBay and can confirm that the 'transfer via USB' method works.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
I've just bought a used Paperwhite 1 on eBay and can confirm that the 'transfer via USB' method works.
Enjoy your reading. The Paperwhite's are all great devices.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:15 AM   #13
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
If Amazon forces me to upgrade to the latest version of the Kindle App in the future, is the only way for me to buy and read Kindle books to buy a Kindle?
Which I really don't want
I am quite happy with adding them to calibre and reading them on my android tablet or Kobo.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
If Amazon forces me to upgrade to the latest version of the Kindle App in the future, is the only way for me to buy and read Kindle books to buy a Kindle?
There is no way to be certain about the future of this. Currently there is a workaround for even the latest version of Kindle for PC, but that is likely to be fixed eventually. Perhaps other options will become available by then or perhaps not.

Since you have an android device, the Kindle for Android app is a possibility for you, though it won't allow you to import to calibre or convert formats.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There is no way to be certain about the future of this. Currently there is a workaround for even the latest version of Kindle for PC, but that is likely to be fixed eventually. Perhaps other options will become available by then or perhaps not.

Since you have an android device, the Kindle for Android app is a possibility for you, though it won't allow you to import to calibre or convert formats.
Thank you. I am able to use the Kindle App for Android and also convert and add my books to Calibre which is a great program.
Just dreading the day when I cannot.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, kindle, paperwhite 3