Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #76
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggins View Post
...but his characters react as most of us would if two moons appear...internal questioning or just simply carrying on with the routines of this strange world.
Exactly, and what could be more natural than deciding what barn to burn next and whether or not a particular building is a barn or just a tool shed?
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #77
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I've been reading this thread but I think I should probably duck out now to avoid spoilers. I'm 160 pages in and there's no second moon yet...
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #78
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I just finished!

I'm not sure I liked the ending too much (spoilers).

Nothing really ever seemed very difficult for Tengo and Aomame. Aomame's guess about being able to get back to 1984 using the staircase next to the expressway turned out to be correct, and nothing hindered them getting there.

The final Ushikawa chapter seemed to imply that Buzzcut and Ponytail would show up at the last second to prevent them from escaping 1Q84, but they never did. That whole chapter seemed to be kind of pointless.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #79
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
I enjoyed IQ84.... perhaps not his best, but if you want really disappointing try 'The Prague Cemetery' by Eco.

But to all the Murakami fans or new readers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
You should also try the non-fiction Underground. It was fascinating.
Just another recommendation for 'Underground' - I avoided it for some time while I read his other novels... a journalistic type report/book on the Tokyo sarin poisoning didn't sound too appealing.

Turned out to be excellent. Hard to say how he manages to make it so fascinating - it's almost transcripts of his interviews with cult members and the victims... he lets them speak for themselves and makes no judgements, letting you read how they felt/thought and reacted to it all.
'Tis good.

So good, it made Lifton's 'The Nazi Doctors' seem like a wasted opportunity. All those interviews with Nazi's and their victims... and the reader barely gets a couple of paragraphs of what was said.

Murakami's 'The wind-Up Bird Chronicle' is still my favourite, though.

coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #80
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I've only read Wind-Up Bird and Kafka on the Shore but want to read more.

Apparently 1Q84 was published in 3 parts in Japan. Is this the complete series or just the first book.
That is the standard way to publish large works in Japan, usually though there are two parts and they aren't numbered they are called "Up" and "Down", in this case there is also a "Middle".
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #81
jktreads
jktreads began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color and I won a Kindle with ads!
I'm probably a third of the way through this book. I didn't know anything about the book when I got it, just wanted to use my ereader for a longer book.

I thought I was reading a book written by a female. Don't know why, other than the one leading character being female. Thanks for the clarification!

I'm enjoying her part of the story much more than the re-writer guy. She's an intriging character that is unpredictable. I'm reading this chapter by chapter, instead of sitting down and doing a lot of reading in this story; I'm not totally engaged by the story, was hoping that the 1Q84 vs. 1984 would be more obvious in the differences. Maybe later in the story?
jktreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #82
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I just finished it. I really enjoyed the ride, but I have to say that I liked Parts 1 and 2 better than Part 3. Spoiler below [are we supposed to hide spoilers or not?]

Spoiler:
In Part 3 it became clear to me that all of Part 3 was going to consist of Tengo and Aomame narrowly missing each other, over and over again. I thought, if the book ends with Tengo and Aomame getting together on the last page... like a... like a.... ROMANCE NOVEL, then I might throw the book across the room. (Don't worry, I was reading the hardcover, so it wouldn't damage my reader!) And that is NEARLY what happened, so I'm not sure what to think. I mean, it ended up as a big love story, right? And I thought the chapters with Ushikawa only served to slow down the story.

So I'm not really sure how I feel overall, now.

And also, are there any more Japanese readers on this board/this thread? I am very curious about how Murakami is regarded in Japan. I was really struck by how most of the cultural references in the book were Western (Sonny and Cher??). There is an epic poem that Fuka Eri recites, but not many other Japanese cultural reference points, either pop or classic. I understand that this is common to his other works, but how do people in Japan feel about it?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #83
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I read books in Japanese, unfortunately 1Q84 isn't available in e-book format, the hard back is still selling very well in Japan. Haruki's western references are usually on a level that is easily understood by most Japanese, hence the pop-culture and not historical. Not being Japanese it is difficult for me to say what they think about those references, but I haven't heard anyone complain about them. Recognizing them probably makes most feel "international", i.e. sophisticated urbanite.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #84
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
I think this book is bigggg...this is the first work I am reading from the author. Presently, at a humble 4%.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #85
Yokoelf
Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I just finished it. I really enjoyed the ride, but I have to say that I liked Parts 1 and 2 better than Part 3. Spoiler below [are we supposed to hide spoilers or not?]

Spoiler:
In Part 3 it became clear to me that all of Part 3 was going to consist of Tengo and Aomame narrowly missing each other, over and over again. I thought, if the book ends with Tengo and Aomame getting together on the last page... like a... like a.... ROMANCE NOVEL, then I might throw the book across the room. (Don't worry, I was reading the hardcover, so it wouldn't damage my reader!) And that is NEARLY what happened, so I'm not sure what to think. I mean, it ended up as a big love story, right? And I thought the chapters with Ushikawa only served to slow down the story.

So I'm not really sure how I feel overall, now.

eP
I agree with you, this book is, after all...

Spoiler:

just a love story. And, though I really enjoyed reading it, the book itself have no depth, in my opinion. Everything is clearly explained, the book doesn't talk by itself. There are all the fantastic elements, but, to me, it doesn't pass us any message other than that love is everything the world needs (just like Aomame used to say).

Don't get me wrong, I really like this book and certainly is one of my favorites ever. But I have seen some exaggerated good reviews. This is not a book I would recommend everyone to read.
Yokoelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #86
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokoelf View Post
I agree with you, this book is, after all...

Don't get me wrong, I really like this book and certainly is one of my favorites ever. But I have seen some exaggerated good reviews. This is not a book I would recommend everyone to read.
I agree! Everyone wont find it gripping enough to complete. Kinda slow moving but interesting in its own way. Not everyone's cup of tea!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #87
TaureanBull
Guru

Finshed

Finished reading the book few weeks back. Overall a good read. However, boring towards the end and a predictable ending.

Would I read it again? NO.

Do I recommend to others? Yes..if you have adequate time and patience.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #88
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've just finished reading this book. I did enjoy it but the ending didn't really go anywhere. A lot of questions were never answered. I gather this was supposed to be a romance story, yet it didn't really deliver that aspect. Also I'm not sure why he put all that other stuff in if it was a romance.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #89
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I might read it for the Goodreads Sci Fi and Fantasy book club--it's the November pick.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote