Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #61
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
e-book reader blog has a video comparison of voyage and H2O:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdXo0z6Vyg
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #62
John C
Enthusiast
John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: nexus 7
I returned the Voyage and ordered a H20. I prefer the larger screen which is still much smaller than a paperback. The scene was nicer on the Voyage than the PW2 but wasn't sold on the etched glass. Whats the point of having 300 dpi if you are going to etch the glass? I don't mind some glare. Overall I wasn't that impressed with the Voyage. I just want an ereader with a sharp text.
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #63
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the video link! Nice to see a side by side comparison of both devices.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #64
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Is the Kobo web browser more usable than the KV's? I wish he would've shown a little of that on the above video comparison.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:28 AM   #65
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
Is the Kobo web browser more usable than the KV's? I wish he would've shown a little of that on the above video comparison.
I only use the browser with dropbox but yes it's much better than the Kindle browser. I can upload epubs into dropbox and download them quickly and easily. I can't do that at all with the PW browser as it no longer works with dropbox.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #66
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I only use the browser with dropbox but yes it's much better than the Kindle browser. I can upload epubs into dropbox and download them quickly and easily. I can't do that at all with the PW browser as it no longer works with dropbox.
Thanks for the response! That's very helpful.

Do you think it would be possible to check/read gmail on the kobo? I tried it with the KV, and it was way too slow/clunky.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #67
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
Thanks for the response! That's very helpful.

Do you think it would be possible to check/read gmail on the kobo? I tried it with the KV, and it was way too slow/clunky.
I'm going out now and will be out all day, but I can check tonight and report back.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #68
Loknor
Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd ed, Kobo Aura HD, Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I suspect is happening is that people are inserting a 64GB card but a maximum of 32GB would be usable -- much like those counterfeit cards that look good until you fill their real capacity and start enjoying file corruption.
I doubt that tbh. I use 64GB Sandisk cards on several older devices who do not support 64GB officially and never had issues. The difference between SDHC and SDXC are negligible.

Of course, the Kobo Aura could be the exception, but considering the multiple reports that it works I doubt that. Of course, in these cases premium brands (Sandisk/Samsung)tend to have a better track record, especially in the beginning, untill the clones get their copying down to pat ^^
Loknor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #69
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
e-book reader blog has a video comparison of voyage and H2O:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdXo0z6Vyg
Ta for the link. Biggest differences for me are the yellow tint to the H20 light compared to the white of the Voyage, the H2O having a whiter background, and the Voyage having better contrast. They both actually look pretty good in that video.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is the video so you don't have to leave MR to watch it.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I noticed that the Voyage's screen has more reflection then the H2O's screen. I do like that the H2O has a lot more font size settings then the Voyage.

One thing about the review I didn't like is the fact that nothing was mentioned that the eBook being shown on the H2O is a kepub and not an ePub. So when someone goes to load an ePub and doesn't get the how long do I have left feature, it may be a disappointment.

The screens are very similar (other then the light's hue) and the PPI on both makes no real noticeable difference.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #72
John C
Enthusiast
John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: nexus 7
Good review of the two. I didn't realize the H20 doesn't have landscape view. I always used that mode so hoping the larger screen and more font options on the H20 will make up for it.

Also being able to make the fonts darker is a plus for H20.

I'm hoping the H20 just works as an ereader.

I ordered from Kobo and free shipping. However I wanted to change my order right after I ordered and so far no one has gotten back with me. I'm sure I'll get it but just make sure you order what you want. I decided I didn't want the cover but will keep it if the H20 works.

Edit: and the larger screen looks great for the H20.

Last edited by John C; 10-25-2014 at 10:08 AM.
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #73
judith009
Groupie

How difficult is it to exit the Amazon ebook system and start using kobo? Is it annoying to have to convert all ebooks that are purchased on Amazon? Is it annoying that you can't load free samples and start reading them immediately?

When people switch devices, do they usually start ordering the ebooks from Kobo instead of Amazon?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #74
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So tempted to pick up the Aura H20. I see chapters will ship it to Japan for $212 w/ shipping. But I just don't know that I can justify it seeing as I have an Aura HD and an Aura that I'm both satisfied with.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #75
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
... I just don't know that I can justify it seeing as I have an Aura HD and an Aura that I'm both satisfied with.
Oh, me too ... but I ordered one anyway . Noticably blacker blacks on the H2O. I'm not helping, am I
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, voyage