Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if I was to buy a Kobo this summer, would I be better off with an Aura or an Aura HD? I am thinking of it because I'm hoping the frontlight will not bother my wife as much as the light from my cover for my 650.

If I do, I might need a newbie's guide to firmware patching.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-14-2014 at 10:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 AM   #77
Loknor
Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd ed, Kobo Aura HD, Iriver Story
We can not answer that one for you, you have to decide:

Do you want a bigger device with a bigger screen or a more pocketable device with a somewhat smaller screen.
Loknor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #78
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Right now, if I was choosing between an Aura HD and the Aura (and wasn't really bothered by getting the bigger screen of the Aura HD), I'd wait and see if Kobo release an updated version of the Aura. The light/screen on the HD looks better, and I'd want to see if Kobo can improve on the screen of the Aura the same way Amazon improved the screen on the Paperwhite.

That's down to my own personal desire to have the best light/screen combination available over other things though. There are plenty of people happy with their Kobo Glo's despite the fact the screen and light of the Aura HD is a lot better, it all depends on what is important to you personally.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 06-15-2014 at 06:39 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #79
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would agree, The Aura screen is the same as the Aura HD only smaller and lower resolution. It has the improved waveform resulting in less need to refresh and a more ruggedized clarity screen. this is a difference from the Glo.

Dale
The Aura HD screen is also different in that it has a higher PPI?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #80
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loknor View Post
We can not answer that one for you, you have to decide:

Do you want a bigger device with a bigger screen or a more pocketable device with a somewhat smaller screen.
So right.

If you are just reading in bed, get the Aura HD. If you want to take it with you everywhere, get the Aura (or the Glo). Patching is pretty easy, also.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #81
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I don't think the difference is enough to update, but if you are buying your first Kobo...
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #82
navis
navis began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
one very important difference (for me) that I don't see mentionned a lot between the Glo and the Aura (non hd) is the lowest backlight setting.

Several people have complained about the minimal setting on the Glo still being too strong. The minimal setting on the Aura is significantly less powerfull, making it much more comfortable to read in near complete darkness. And less prone to partner's complaints :-)

HTH,
--
Rémi
navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #83
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I finally picked up an Aura (non-HD) since the price was dropped in anticipation of the new water-proof model. My favorite reader before was the Glo, and the Aura takes its place (the Glo died when I actually laid down on it). I explored the more fancy readers, but in the end all I want or need is something that lets me read books. I have a tablet for apps/etc.

I really like that the screen is on the same level as the bezel, which means it won't collect dust or crumbs. The touch interface also feels more responsive to me. Above all, the dimmer lowest backlight level makes a huge difference.

On the minus side, since the screen isn't "sunken" anymore, I'm tempted to get a screen protector for it, but I don't want to deal with the inevitable bubbles (plus the specific protectors cost 15% of the device). I also still dislike that the MicroSD and USB slots are at the bottom and not on the side, and I wish it had page turn buttons. Overall, though, for €99 this was a great purchase.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #84
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if I was to buy a Kobo this summer, would I be better off with an Aura or an Aura HD? I am thinking of it because I'm hoping the frontlight will not bother my wife as much as the light from my cover for my 650.

If I do, I might need a newbie's guide to firmware patching.
With your preference for crisp fonts and your stated home use (not bothering your wife, presumably when she's trying to sleep), I think you might well prefer the Aura HD. No other e-ink reader's resolution is as high; fonts appear less pixelated than on any other reader and the light goes quite dim even without custom patches (which tend to be used primarily to correct pagination).

That being bleated, it sounds as though you might find a great deal on the non-HD.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:08 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I think you might well prefer the Aura HD. No other e-ink reader's resolution is as high;
This isn't true. The Onyx T68 has the same screen as the Aura HD and is a lot more flexible, being a general-purpose Android tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #86
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This isn't true. The Onyx T68 has the same screen as the Aura HD and is a lot more flexible, being a general-purpose Android tablet.
Thanks for the correction. I should have said that no other mainstream e-reader's screen resolution is as high (i.e., among e-readers created by Amazon, B&N, Kobo and, until recently, Sony).

I see that you own the Onyx; it's clear you're enjoying your purchase. I'll read up on the T68.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-07-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #87
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
I decided to buy myself an Aura, and make my sister happy with my Glo. Here are the differences I have noticed:

- Like people have mentioned, the light on the Aura can go dimmer
- The light on the Aura is also a different "color", the light on the Glo is kind of harsh/cold (blueish?) and the light on the Aura is softer, even when you make it brighter. The Aura's light is much nicer on the eyes in my opinion
- The Aura does the big loading flash less often (you can set it for 5 pages, 10 pages or every chapter)
- The Aura is slightly smaller, thinner and it's lighter (same screen size though)
- The Auras screen is level with the sides, whereas the Glo's screen is sunken
- Different touch screen technology, the Aura reacts only to your fingers (and stylusses I suppose), the Glo reacts to any touch. Personally I prefer the Aura here, because now I won't suddenly end up pages ahead if I accidentally put my Kobo face down on my bed
- The Aura's touch screen also seems more accurate, easier to highlight the right section, etc.

I think that's it.

Conclusion:

I loved my Glo, and if it wasn't for my frequent migraines with extreme light sensitivity, I probably would have kept it and happily used it for years to come (especially with the night mode installed). But I do have those migraines, and the Aura is just that bit nicer on my eyes that for me upgrading to the Aura was worth it.

If you don't have a Kobo and you need to decide between a Glo and an Aura, I would definitely recommend the Aura.

If you have a Glo and the light is slightly uncomfortable for you, I would say upgrading to the Aura will be worth it.

If you have a Glo and have no issues with the light, I'd say: Just keep the Glo.
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote