Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
wandermaybe
wandermaybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Can non-DRM ePub books be read on a DRM-ePub device?

Currently, the DRM logic is confusing to me.

One device I'm considering says it accepts:

EPUB
PDF
non-DRM TXT
non-DRM FB2

From what I understand - DRM eBooks are ones that are bought and can only be used on this specific device.

But would this device allow a non-DRM EPUB to be read on it?

edit-- This company has another model that states it can accept
"MOBI (non-DRM only)"

I'm confused on the difference between accepting a non-DRM file -vs- non-DRM only

Last edited by wandermaybe; 05-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.
wandermaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
It should. Never heard of a device that only accepts DRMed ePubs.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
wandermaybe

Okay,
So it could/should say

EPUB (DRM & non-DRM)
PDF (DRM & non-DRM)
TXT (non-DRM)
FB2 (non-DRM)
Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
It should. Never heard of a device that only accepts DRMed ePubs.
Yep I would think so too. I mean the books here at MR for example don't have DRM on them and the mobi files here don't seem to have any trouble opening on my Kindle. I'd think that epubs without DRM would also work perfectly well on ereaders that can be used for reading epubs.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandermaybe View Post
Okay,
So it could/should say

EPUB (DRM & non-DRM)
PDF (DRM & non-DRM)
TXT (non-DRM)
FB2 (non-DRM)
I don't know what device you are considering, but you should check carefully the specifications. There's ADOBE DRM for ePub (supported by nearly all readers except the Nook) and B&N DRM for ePub (Nook).
As regards as PDF, I believe there's ADOBE DRM and other protection systems, you should also check the specifications for your reader in case you intend to read protected PDF's.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Can you identify the specific ereader? I've read non-DRMed ePubs on the Astak Pocket Pro, PocketBook 360, and just about every Sony since the 505 without any problem. Calibre will convert to and from just about any current format out there if the book is not DRMed.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
But would this device allow a non-DRM EPUB to be read on it?
Yes, it would.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
One device I'm considering says it accepts:

EPUB
PDF
non-DRM TXT
non-DRM FB2
If you tell us which device that is, I'm sure you'll get an answer from owners of that device.

I can't imagine any device which would only read DRM formats. After all, DRM is something appended onto the normal non-DRM format (unless my understanding of DRM is completely off base).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
wandermaybe

it's the aluratek LIBRE 7" Color

the exact words on their site is:

eBook support: EPUB, PDF, TXT*, FB2*
Audio support*: MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG

*non DRM

In the user manual available at the site, it says:

AEBK07FS supports books in epub, pdf, and txt format.

and

Media File Format supported
Ebook: epub, pdf, txt, fb2
Audio: mp3, wma, wav, ogg, aac

and

Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is required for downloading DRM content
into AEBK07FS

I don't know what details are helpful to figure this out, but those were all the ones that looked possibly relevant.

I would have posted it at the brand specific thread but didn't see one for aluratek or libre.

Last edited by wandermaybe; 05-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I wonder how you'd DRM a txt
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth79 View Post
I wonder how you'd DRM a txt
PGP will do it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Wandermaybe, I have the Aluratek Libre Color. It absolutely reads non-DRM epub. In fact, all I've got on it are non-DRM epubs, as I've never authorized it for ADE.

For the device-specific forum, scroll down to More E-book Readers; you'll see Ectaco jetBook. That also includes Aluratek.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
Irish Lion
Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle DXG
A friend and I were tinkering with his Nook Color (I say tinkering because he didn't know how to use it any more than I did, it was his dad's originally ^.^), and were able to read non-drm epubs on there just fine.
Irish Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
wandermaybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wandermaybe, I have the Aluratek Libre Color. It absolutely reads non-DRM epub. In fact, all I've got on it are non-DRM epubs, as I've never authorized it for ADE.

For the device-specific forum, scroll down to More E-book Readers; you'll see Ectaco jetBook. That also includes Aluratek.
thanks
that is great to hear

and

thanks
now I know where to post. I'm curious about the Color LCD screen - how is it for reading comfort?

I've been vascillating between the iPad and a few eReaders that are either LCD, ePaper, or e-ink. I'll ask my Q over at the Ectaco jetBook thread.

thanks all!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The main trick would be getting the data on the drive. For some devices it is a piece of cake, using a USB drive or accessing through email or a private server. However, some other devices are more protective of data storage.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote