Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Win 10 PC, Android Smartphone & Tablet, Considering my first e-ink
Are ebook (eInk) readers really easier on one's eyes?

Hi!

I used to be a voracious reader when I was younger but have found I've drifted away somewhat as times has gone by. I read a lot of "internet" so to speak but less books - and I'm trying to change that.

We've moved most of our library to digital the last several years and my spouse and I have Android smartphones, a shared Android tablet and he has an iPad Pro 9.7. At some point, I'll likely get an iPad Pro as well for the art and music creation capabilities. We don't buy just any and every device or gadget and we're careful with our electronics and keep them a long time. All this to say, I've noticed that reading on my phone at least (using Moon Reader Pro, mostly) my eyes (which were 20-15 last time they were checked) are having difficulty with seeing clearly, blurred vision, etc after reading for a while.

So, while I'd rather use one of the devices we have (or my future iPad Pro) for reasons of economy, simplicity, minimalism, and just less general confusion back and forth, I'm beginning to try to learn a bit about the eInk readers. From what I've read thus far, it seems it is actually easier on the eyes and much more like reading on paper, since the ones that have lights are "front lit" rather than back lit pixels like LCD/IPS/OLED screens but I haven't seen much in the way of actual studies on this, or even a lot of user feedback. Before I seriously consider buying a device, I'm curious to hear your experiences, your thoughts, and generally, how you feel about a dedicated reader vs using another device. Also, is there any way to improve a tablet/iPad or smartphone for reading? Maybe a certain type of screen cover, reading with the screen dimmed, dark background vs light, etc? Is there any difference depending on the actual device screen type (as in LCD, AMOLED, OLED, IPS, etc)?

Lastly, do you only use your eInk reader for reading or do you read on other devices too? If so, what setup or ecosystem do you use to keep everything in sync? Is it possible to use something like Google News (does it offer an RSS feed?) or something similar on an eInk reader? My spouse does a LOT of reading of news etc on the devices mentioned above and has some eye issues. Just had cataract surgery this year (which improved things a lot) but he still gets eye pain, blurry vision, dry eyes, etc and the ability to read his news on an eInk device might help (depending on your feedback, if it actually makes a difference, of course!!).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. If there is anything you feel I need to know about this subject (but don't even know enough yet to ask!), please share! Thanks so much in advance!
Rae
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I'm happy reading on my phones. I've tried a Paperwhite and find LCD preferable. Most of my books are from Amazon so I stick with the Kindle app. The one deficiency is the backlight does get dark enough for night reading, but that is easily solved with a screen dimming app. The Google Play Books app does a better job of backlight control without needing a separate app, but it's easier to stay in the kindle realm than do conversions.

I read mostly indoors, or if outside, I usually seek out a shady spot anyhow, so direct sunlight isn't an issue.

The key to happy eyes on LCD seems to be keeping the backlight at levels that match environmental light rather than trying to outshine the ambient lighting.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid View Post
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. If there is anything you feel I need to know about this subject (but don't even know enough yet to ask!), please share! Thanks so much in advance!
For me there's no question that reading with an eInk Reader is easier on the eyes than reading with LCD screens. But if you would like to try one, just find an inexpensive, used eReader and give it a try. I don't know where you live, but in the United States you should be able to find a good, used eReader for about $20 on Shop Goodwill (www.shopgoodwill.com). If this one, with lower resolution and without front light works seems better than an LCD screen, then invest in a nice, new, high resolution, front-lit eInk eReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If you like to read in the sun, or in a dark bedroom, front lit e-ink is much preferable IMO. I do 85% of my reading on an Oasis, and have used an e-ink device since 2009.

I do sometimes read on my iPhone 7+ for those library books not available for Kindle. Sometimes I also use my iPad mini for cookbooks or a book with pictures. I don't mind reading on them, but I do a lot of reading in bed, and backlit LCD in a dark room is very hard on my eyes. I can only read on them in the dark for 10 minutes or so. I can read for hours on the Oasis.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
There have been a number of discussions on this topic at mobileread. Inevitably someone will come along and insist that everyone should be able to read on LCD if they just get the settings right.

Personally, I've never had eye problems with eink even after reading for a long period of time, but LCD didn't work out so well for me.

When I got a smartphone last year I tried using it as a reader, but after I spent too much time reading one evening, the next day my vision was worse than usual and I was seeing haloes around lights. Fortunately my vision cleared up by the day after that. I went back to using my eink reader and have not had any further reading-related vision problems.

I believe many people can read comfortably on LCD but it doesn't work for everyone. The only way to know for sure if eink is better for you is to try it for yourself.

Last edited by 4691mls; 06-24-2018 at 09:37 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Found last summer's long discussion

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289150
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
We've moved most of our library to digital the last several years...
In what way? Did you scan your paper books into pdf files?

The choice of a particular device (e-ink or some other) depends on the format of your e-books. If you get your reading material mostly through Amazon, then a Kindle makes perfect sense.

If you get your books through some other webstore/e-library that only gives you online access, no epub/pdf files, then it makes sense to have an Android device. There are some eink Android devices that may fit the bill, such as Onyx Boox, Inkbook, Boyue. But the main point would be if the webstore app works on the device. the app may work better on an iPad or tablet.

If you have already gathered to yourself a library that consists of epub and pdf (and perhaps doc, html etc.) files, and you are methodically and regularly reading/browsing those files, then an eink device with expandable storage is warmly recommended over anything else. In such a case you will instantly notice the benefit.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
All this to say, I've noticed that reading on my phone at least (using Moon Reader Pro, mostly) my eyes (which were 20-15 last time they were checked) are having difficulty with seeing clearly, blurred vision, etc after reading for a while.
I prefer reading on E-Ink, but I don't have any particular trouble with LCD.

I wonder about your age.

The human eye loses its ability to change focus ("accommodation") as we age. It's actually a continuous change, but most people don't notice it until it prevents them from focusing at the normal reading distance when they in their 40s.

You might be approaching the time when you'll need reading glasses, and that might have more to do with your reading issues than E-Ink vs LCD.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If you like to read in the sun, or in a dark bedroom, front lit e-ink is much preferable IMO. I do 85% of my reading on an Oasis, and have used an e-ink device since 2009.

I do sometimes read on my iPhone 7+ for those library books not available for Kindle. Sometimes I also use my iPad mini for cookbooks or a book with pictures. I don't mind reading on them, but I do a lot of reading in bed, and backlit LCD in a dark room is very hard on my eyes. I can only read on them in the dark for 10 minutes or so. I can read for hours on the Oasis.
Reading in a dim to dark room is where I was disappointed in the Paperwhite's performance. Once I took the front lighting down to a comfortable level, the text was a low contast black on middle grey mess. LCD maintains better contrast in similar lighting.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Reading in a dim to dark room is where I was disappointed in the Paperwhite's performance. Once I took the front lighting down to a comfortable level, the text was a low contast black on middle grey mess. LCD maintains better contrast in similar lighting.
My first gen Paperwhite had this issue, but it was much better on the 2nd gen, which my husband still uses. My "tip" is to increase the line spacing. More white space helps. My Oasis 2017 has very good contrast, even with the light at 6-10.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I think it's marginally better than LCD (and similar). But at the age of 68, I am still happy to read on both. I do believe though for those days where I laze about and do nothing but read, I might prefer eInk since I think I can read for longer stretches at a time, though I've done that with my tablets and Android phones, as well, with no ill effect.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
In answer to your one question, as someone who has significant eye damage, I can assure you that ereaders are much easier on the eyes than tablets when the back/front light is not used. That back/front light can be a bit harder on the eyes, but not as much as a tablet or phone. Reading with an ereader and a good reading light is preferable to using the back/front light. However, whatever the Voyage uses for a light, I have not had any problems whatsoever with that. It's better than either Paperwhite 2 or Paperwhite 3.

I do use a Fire to skim the news and to read magazines (although Asimov's magazine works fine on an ereader!). The 8" Fire is easier on my eyes than the cheaper 7" ones - although I don't know why.

I have never read the news with an eink device, so I can't answer that. I do find that I have to limit my time on screens other than an ereader. Dry eye, yeah, that's a big problem. It's a continuous problem for me made more complicated by the glaucoma drops I have to use. It helps to sit back with a warm/hot washcloth on your closed eyes for 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day.

All of the devices are adding that orange shading as an option. I'm not in the habit of using that mostly because I don't use a tablet more than an hour, but presumably, it will help with eye strain.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me, I will read on other devices when I don't have an eInk ereader with me but definitely prefer eInk. For my eyes and my havit of reading for extended periods, I find that using an LCD/OLED backlit screen to become uncomfortable after an hour or so whereas I can use my eInk ereader for over 4 hours without any discomfort. I've gone through multiple ereaders with the Kobo Aura One being my current goto device. I also use a Tolino epos which uses the same 7.8" screen as the Aura One but it's firmware is not as advanced with, as an example, font sizing and margins having much fewer choices.

Another reason for preferring eInk is the battery life which for eInk readers is measured in days or weeks compared to hours for LCD/OLED devices. As an example, I can read for 20-30 hours on my KA1 so about a week whereas my Ipad Pro 10.5 allows me to read for 7 hours (assuming I do nothing else during those 7 hours, if I use the web browser, check my mail, view a video, etc., I've been looking for the charger in 4-5 hours.)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
It should also be mentioned that – with Calibre – you can set up newsfeeds (via "recipes"). I've never used this feature, but it might be useful for if you want to read news on an eInk device. There's also the Send to Kindle plugin that could be useful for specific articles (on Kindles) or Pocket (pretty much the same) that's built into Kobos.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #15
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I didn't "understand" the attraction of eInk until I bought my first device (this is back when they were blowing out the Kobo Mini for about $35)... it is fantastic and I very much prefer to read books on it vs. a tablet. There is less distraction (no other apps, email, beeping, alerts, etc to pull me away from my book - you can entirely disconnect) and I can read it outside for hours without any eye strain OR without my device draining its battery (if I put my phone or tablet to a brightness level that will work outdoors, my battery will drain within about 2 hours).

If you are curious about them I would recommend having a look at a demo unit at your local Best Buy or eReader retailer. And if you narrow it down to a specific manufacturer/ecosystem I would suggest what was already suggested in a previous comment - pick up a cheaper used, but not TOO old, reader and see if it is for you. It doesn't even have to be back-lit (you can always upgrade to that later if you stick with it). If you don't decide to continue with it, you can always sell it here on MobileRead, or via your local buy & sell sites.

As for offline news/articles - I use Pocket via my Kobo, and there is a "Send to Kindle" function that works on a Kindle, although I still prefer Pocket personally. I have the widget installed on my computer web browser, and the app on all of my smart devices. It saves the URL, converts it to a more readable format and all syncs up nicely.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote