Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2024, 08:52 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
A moment of silence for the much ignored Awards feature

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3645.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	745.8 KB
ID:	208024

As I was enabling the word list on my new Libra Colour (and REdiscovering I couldn’t just copy it from my previous Kobo Clara 2E to the Libra Colour), I noticed that the awards tab was missing in the activity pane. As much as I enjoyed filling those out when I first joined the Kobo family back in 2010, they have been much ignored over these past few years. I’m not surprised to see that Kobo has removed them. Honestly, I feel it’s for the best since most of them didn’t work anymore anyway and just caused user frustration. But still, a moment of silence for our old friend who has moved on to the celestial cloud server.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:38 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A moment of silence for the much ignored Awards feature

Can anybody with a Clara BW or Colour verify this? Thanks.

I can verify that Reading Life Awards have been removed from the iPhone and iPad versions of the Kobo app.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-04-2024 at 09:41 PM.
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 09:56 PM   #3
gyrene2083
gyrene2083 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

I can verify that Reading Life Awards have been removed from the iPhone and iPad versions of the Kobo app.
I have a Libra Colour and I don't see a tab for Life Awards. Where exactly was it? I'll look again.
gyrene2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:57 PM   #4
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I miss Witching Hour! With the flying witch!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:42 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Here's what I see on the Awards page on my Sage. Some awards I was never going to get since I've never bothered with joining Facebook or other social media.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	94
Size:	498.0 KB
ID:	208065   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	63
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	208066  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 11:55 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene2083 View Post
I have a Libra Colour and I don't see a tab for Life Awards. Where exactly was it? I'll look again.
More>Activity
Old 05-04-2024, 11:58 PM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Here's what I see on the Awards page on my Sage. Some awards I was never going to get since I've never bothered with joining Facebook or other social media.
My Elipsa shows them still, too. But it's not running the latest firmware that was released for the newer Kobos. However, Awards are gone in my Kobo iOS apps and on my Kobo Libra Colour. (That Facebook one can't be completed. Hasn't been possible for years since Facebook disallowed third party plugins.)

Frankly, I'm not surprised. Last year I asked CS about it and they 1) didn't know what I was talking about, then 2) told me to reset my device. I told them "no, thank you". LOL Everything is a device reset with them.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-05-2024 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:07 AM   #8
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
I was really looking forward to seeing all these awards in glorious (pastel) color! Even though they were glitchy, I still liked them. Still have them on my Libra 2 for now.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:14 AM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Using sideload mode disables them even in older firmware, so I haven't seen them for some time.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:16 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I was really looking forward to seeing all these awards in glorious (pastel) color! Even though they were glitchy, I still liked them. Still have them on my Libra 2 for now.
I felt exactly the same way! I feel robbed now. LOL
Old 05-05-2024, 11:31 AM   #11
bluepeter
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
[QUOTE=Cootey;4420997]Can anybody with a Clara BW or Colour verify this? Thanks.

Definitely gone from the Clara Colour.
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:20 PM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

[QUOTE=bluepeter;4421193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

Definitely gone from the Clara Colour.

Thanks for verifying!

I think we can safely conclude this wake. Awards are dead and buried.

It’s a shame, too. The gamer in me enjoyed them.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:25 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Awards are gone for good on all devices since 4.39.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:22 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Isn't 4.39 only for the new devices? 4.36 was only for the Elipsa 2E, so I figured we'd have to wait for 4.40 to see new firmware for everything else.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:41 PM   #15
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Isn't 4.39 only for the new devices? 4.36 was only for the Elipsa 2E, so I figured we'd have to wait for 4.40 to see new firmware for everything else.
If it's gone in 4.39, it's gone for all. Kobo doesn't do build variants.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote