Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
fantasword
fantasword began at the beginning.

Device: boox m96
[Note air]Anyone can help to avoid the firmware model checking?

I have a Boox note air, and found that this model has another version, Dedao Max. I have got the firmware for the Dedao Max, also is a .upx file, 300M+ bigger size. But when I try to update it in my Boox note air, it said not the right model. I also try the recovery mode and fastboot mode, but Note air doesn't have a rom update feature in it.

Anyone has the idea to avoid the model checking while updating or can we fake the .upx file to a note air one?
fantasword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If you decrypt update.upx you get a normal update.zip
In META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script you have all the checking, like:
Code:
(!less_than_int(1617202974, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))) || abort("E3003: Can't install this package (Wed Mar 31 23:02:54 CST 2021) over newer build (" + getprop("ro.build.date") + ").");
getprop("ro.product.device") == "Poke3" || abort("E3004: This package is for \"Poke3\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");
ui_print("Target: ONYX/Poke3/Poke3:10/2021-03-31_23-02_3.1_0631e26/1914:user/dev-keys");
But since this is patching partitions it will probably not help you to circumvent the safeguards.
You can try, but have a plan for when you brick your device.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
fantasword
fantasword began at the beginning.

Device: boox m96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
If you decrypt update.upx you get a normal update.zip
In META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script you have all the checking, like:
Code:
(!less_than_int(1617202974, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))) || abort("E3003: Can't install this package (Wed Mar 31 23:02:54 CST 2021) over newer build (" + getprop("ro.build.date") + ").");
getprop("ro.product.device") == "Poke3" || abort("E3004: This package is for \"Poke3\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");
ui_print("Target: ONYX/Poke3/Poke3:10/2021-03-31_23-02_3.1_0631e26/1914:user/dev-keys");
But since this is patching partitions it will probably not help you to circumvent the safeguards.
You can try, but have a plan for when you brick your device.
I think I will need 3 strings to decrypt the .upx file, which I don't have now.

Even though I got the zip file, is the Note air has some workable recovery, like TWRP in most Android phone?

I know that we can write img file to the device by Fastboot way, but I don't know how many img files to make it work.
fantasword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Note Air appears to be a Qualcomm device (because it's Android 10 and Onyx seems to have given up Rockchip for Qualcomm).
That means you (if it's all unlocked like my Poke3) can use Qualcomm EDL mode to do what you like with partitions.

I question the sanity/utility of saying "this unrelated update is bigger than the one for my device so I want it".
I don't know what more you want out of your device.
If you're Russian and "Dedao Max" is one of those models there might be something in this.
Me? I can mostly do without everything that Onyx thinks is an improvement.
Code:
# pm disable com.onyx
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote